Guitar Players?

your ability as a guitarist is about how smart you practice.

• learning guitar is like jedi training.
    i suggest training in 15 - 20 minute sets through out the day.
    tiring your hand with a 2 hr of chromatic scales is only going to hurt you.

my suggestion to you is: before you go out there and buy a cheeap electric
go and borrow a friends acoustic for a month.
try to get your chops up to par / also get a reference point with guitar playing.

you’ll be able to pick your guitar way better afterwards.

also HOLLA to all my boys playing guitar and tracking! ;)

Some really awesome guitar lessons can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JustinSandercoe
and
http://www.justinguitar.com/

That dude really knows how to teach.

sure, a real tube amp does :D

I play guitar, i’ve been using renoise to work on my new demo, its sort of rock/metal, and then it has glitchy beats and stuff in the breakdowns, still need to record the solos though :D

As for learning guitar, slow and steady. One of the most important parts of being a good guitar player, is understanding what you are playing, why the chords work together, or why the notes work together etc. Don’t try and progress to quickly or you are likely to miss out on the understanding which becomes a key part in playing with other people.

So odd! I was just this very second about to do a search for this thread to get the links for the guitar lessons off it, and it pops up in front of me without my even asking!

anacrucix, your music sounds interesting. Any links?

i only started writing it yesterday, ive got about 5-10 minutes of material so far, started work on recording it but ill put up a link in this thread when i finish it, will probably be a couple of weeks (i’m aiming to do about 3 tracks), but im a bit of a perfectionist so im not sure, might take a while longer :D

Dude, anytime is cool… I am just working on getting my fingers in the right positions for chords at the moment!

I am training up my fingers by rubbing them on the strings constantly till it hurts, and then resting them for a few hours. then doing it again. I can already feel them getting tougher!

I will crack this.

Just holding a real instrument in my arms and making a few notes that sound cool is the best thing EVER!!

I have no idea how good I will feel when I can record stuff!!

I might actually explode with delight.

I have a very simplistic approach to my guitar playing.
and practise the correct way

And remember, you judge a guitar player by how well he plays slowly. A guitar is a woman, not your dominant hand.

Remember the majority of music you hear is the sound between the notes!

I bought my USB-audioboard from Line 6, it is called Toneport UX2 and comes with a program called Gearbox which is a great amp-simulator. Gearbox is basically a POD XT, but as computer application, it is also available as plugin.

It runs very smooth on my Macbook 13" together with Ableton Live and Solo Performer Show Controller, which are two pretty heavy programs.

When it comes to guitar techniques, I would say that you should at least practice your own songs untill you don?t have to focus on the playing, but rather how to look cool :) Then you are ready for stage!

Haha. Yeah I am getting SLIGHTLY better now.

I am just learning chords (I mean, I am a TOTAL beginner) at the moment.

I also spend a bit of time practising strumming.

It is all so difficult at the moment, but I have only had my guitar for a few days, so I guess it is going to get easier.

And my fingers REALLY hurt! Hahaha

what guitar you buyed? cos hope you didnt buy what ever cheap electric cos loysy stick is killing your motivation to play, ill tell you.

but cool, new guitarist. now have phun to learn play world most difficult instrument :D

I bought an Ibanez. Cost me about 18,000 yen. The guy in the shop was the coolest ever.

He basically told me that all cheap guitars are shit, so just choose my shape. Haha.

So, I am learning on something shit, but that is all good.

I will get to you when I play something good

Well, congratulations on your guitar!

When you practice, practice the movement of fingers, hands, your whole body. Watch other guitar players on video and life to learn from them. And don’t worry about “scales” and stuff - move your fingers, strum the strings and listen.
And you should record your “musical sketches” even if you think they sound bad. They point is not to play perfectly well from minute one, but to explore what is possible. You may find out as well that what you like to play is totally different to what others play - even though they were better.

Anyway. I play guitar as well and record musical sketches very often, so I can listen to the often spontaneous ideas again, pick them up, twist and tweak them and write a song based upon them.

You can listen to some of my stuff here…

And I wish you all the best and good fun with the instrument and the music you will make with it!

:)

Hmmz, well if this is for electric guitars maybe this would be a good tip… i can get an accoustic guitar for 35 euro’s brand new at thomann’s.
They have a lot of cheap guitars, electric as well.

Does this mean you gonna show off with November Rain from Metallica, or you mean that you come back when you can flawlessly play “mary had a little lamb”?

November Rain? Wasn’t that Guns’n’Roses?

Anyway. What does it matter…

Yeah I have been doing that a lot!

I tried to learn all the chords, but some of them are really hard at the moment. I cant manage C at all!

So, as well as doing that, I just strum around and try to get a feel for the frets and stuff. I like just buggering around on it!

I might record some tonight and embarrass myself.

I can send you a PDF with basic chord shapes and how to move them around on the fret board.
You don’t need to fret all 6 strings for C for example. Use three strings only.

I’ll let you know when I put the file up.

Have a great week!