Help! How To Handle Vsts?

Hello guys and girls,

I’m new with Renoise and I hope you can help me out in working with VSTs.
My questions are:

1. Is there any possibility to use more than 2 VSTs at the same time?
I need to use different instruments from different VSTs in one song, but I couln’t find a way to manage this. Do I need another program to make this possible? I’ve heard from a program called VSampler3, in which it is also possible to host different VSTs. Is this the only way, or is there also a way without any other program? And if not, which program would you recommend to make this possible?

2. How can I grab the Sample of the VST with the Plugin Grabber INCLUDING all effects I set on the VST?
Everytime when I’ve found a great sample on a VST I need to grab with the Plugin Grabber because of the limitation of using not more than 2 VSTs at the same time, all effects are gone after grabbing the sample. Especially I’m thinking of longer instruments like strings, pads and so on. After grabbing them they are just a few seconds long (no clear loop anymore) and without any effects. Is there a way to grab them as they are in the VST?

3. Is it possible to control the effects on the VST via Renoise?
The rhythm of the VST effect (for example the LFO of a “wobbling” string) doesn’t fit to the song’s rhythm. I tried several ways to get this fixed, but with no success. For example I tried it with changing the effect’s speed or the song’s speed, but it’s always different and it doesn’t fit together. Is there a way to synchronize the VST effect to the Beat/min in Renoise?

Thank you very much for answering and best regards,
TNT :yeah:

1 Using different presets from the same VST instance only works if your VST plugin supports multiple outputs. VSampler is one of them.
The generic rule with VST’s is this: Most sampler or sample based vst plugins support multi-out, most synth or audio generating plugins are single out plugins.
VST’s that support multi out require you to create an Alias of the same instance into another instrument slot.
Plugins that don’t support multi out, you unfortunately have to select a new instance in another instrument slot and in there select the other preset that you want to use.

1. Static effects should pose no problems. If you want to grab effects that are altered during playtime, you would need the render to sample option and simply select the complete block in the pattern editor that performs the effect. If you are using effects like reverb and delay, take care you add enough headroom time to have the tail recorded of these effects.

2. Some VST’s allow synchronisation with the host using an internal trigger somewhere in its own gui. This differs from plugin to plugin, if such plugin doesn’t have a switch and the plugin’s BPM rate isn’t really exactly the same as Renoise, you can insert decimal bpm values in the BPM box (like 128.324 bpm) the decimal figure gets rounded for the visual, but the three decimals are set (and reappear if you double click the bpm value)

Thanks for answering! :D

Yes, I noticed that since I saw this video on youtube. But what if I want to use for example 10 instruments from 5 different VST-Plugins? When I take a look at the point VST Plugins in the Edit/Preferences, there are only 2 VST slots… How can I use more in Renoise? Can you host all the instruments of any VST-Plugin in VSampler or other programs of this kind, so you can use them via VSampler in one song?

1. If I’ve found for example a pad I want to use, how can I grab it without losing its length? In the VST the sample length is unlimited because of its clear loop, but after grabbing it, it’s only a few seconds long and it doesn’t sound straight when I loop it. Is it possible to change the settings in the Plugin Grabber, that the length of the sample is longer after getting grabbed, so that the sample loop will sound nicer?

2. I will try this out, thanks!

The two VST slots in the preferences only refer to the folders where you have stored your plugins.
You select the root folder which houses all your plugins and Renoise simply takes care it will find them all for you (subfolders are scanned).
Most plugin installers suggest to store their plugin into “c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins” (or an equivalent on Mac) if that is the location where you also choose to install your plugins then simply select that folder.
If you install your plugins somewhere else, then pick that location.
If you have them plastered on different locations on your harddrive, i would suggest you to concentrate them all into one main root-location.

You can set the duration in the plugin grabber, with this you can set it to any length you want it as long as the selected note-range of your instrument won’t exceed 250MB of ram.
The plugin grabber has an auto-loop crossfader, this works well for pretty lineary instruments but doesn’t work well for instruments that has pulse-width changes and other kind of chorus effects. If you set various effects within your instruments, there is a larger chance that the crossfader picks a poor point where the loop doesn’t sound seamless. I’ve added the idea of a configurable autoloop crossfader for the sample editor in the ideas and suggestions thread. I don’t know if it is going to be picked up but it would compromise this one glitch of the autoloop feature

Great! Thank you for your help! I will try this out! :D

I’ve got another 2 questions, maybe you can help me out here, too.

1. How can I use vocoder-plugins?
I’ve downloaded several freeware VST vocoder-plugins, but they aren’t shown in instrument settings/instrument. How can I get access to get them used in Renoise? Should they be handled as an instrument or is there another way to get them working?

2. Where exactly should I copy the Renoise tools to get them working?
Unfortunately there is no exact information, neither in the manual nor in the net. Maybe I’m blind, but I can’t find any clear information about that. Is there a special folder I should copy it into?

1 To be brief, vocoder plugins are effect plugins in most cases so you have to select them in the effect list and drag them to the track(s) that you want to use with the plugin.

2 Renoise tools have the extension xrnx, dragging and dropping the tool on Renoise should be enough with exception of the Linux edition of Renoise. But i still have no clarity on which platform you run Renoise. You might need to activate the tool in the toolbrowser after it has been installed though, but i’m not sure.

Thanks, nearly everything works fine. :D
I guess that I have to pass on a few things, but I may have to live with that.

I tried this, but without success. I tried every folder, but always there’s the information: “No tools installed.” By the way, I’m running Renoise on Windows XP.

What can I do if a VST keeps silent? I tried it by clicking on “Auto suspend”, but unfortunately nothing happened. The VST still was silent.

ok, do this:

• open Renoise
  • in your browser, go to http://tools.renoise.com
  • scroll down a bit and click ‘browse the complete tools catalog’
  • scroll down a bit, click ‘Tempo Tap’
  • scroll down a bit, download the tool for your Renoise version (2.6 or 2.7)
  • navigate to the folder the tool-file was downloaded in
  • drag and drop the tool-file onto Renoise
  • Renoise tells you “script 'com.renoise.TempoTap.xrnx' was succesfully installed” > click OK
  • in the top bar, click Tools > Tempo Tap

Thanks, finally I was able to install the tools. Now I just have to get into it. ;)
The only problem I got right now is, that there are still some VSTs keeping silent. I don’t know why, maybe they won’t work on Renoise, but I can’t imagine that.

Offtopic:
Drag and Drop work just fine, at least on Ubuntu. :rolleyes:

I’ll elaborate on vV reply; basically you open the vocoder as an effect on a channel, should be a send channel since it must receive 2 signal, one from the carrier and one for a modulator, one is feeding the send track through the left channel and the other one through the right one.

So create 2 tracks i.e. Track 1 with a modulator all panned to the left, and Track 2 with the carrier panned all the way to the right. Then send both of them signal to Send 1 Track, and add a vocoder to said track. m i rite?