Help with disabling auto sustain

Hello,

I’m new to Renoise, and have been using Ableton and Logic for quite some time and wanted to check out something a little different.

I’m having trouble with this auto sustain(?) feature that seems to be on by default. Whenever I enter notes either through a VST or a sample/sampled instrument, when I playback what I’ve entered

it auto sustains each note or chord indefinitely. I noticed that I can disable this auto sustain for samples by going to Sampler->Modulation->Auto-Sustain = Off, but for external VSTs like Absynth I can’t figure out how

to do this :unsure:. If anyone could offer help/advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Did you place some note offs in your pattern to stop the notes at the desired point in time?

6985 renoise-note-off.png

The note on the left will continue playing indefinitely (or until you stop the song), since there is no note off command to stop it.

The note on the right will stop when it reaches the note off command on line 04.

You can insert these note offs by enabling edit mode and pressing the Capslock key (or “A”) by default.

Wow, you saved me! :walkman:

I didn’t realize I had to do that, especially since in the MIDI tab at the top it looks like my controller was automatically triggering a midi off after each on, but now I know better!

Thanks again for the help!

it looks like my controller was automatically triggering a midi off

If you’re recording live from your computer keyboard or MIDI controller, then the note off’s will be automatically entered into the pattern based on what you’ve played. (Assuming you have this enabled in your Renoise MIDI preferences)

But when manually editing the pattern step by step, you’ll need to place the note offs yourself.

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but i got an idea. A “auto note off”, when you recording notes non live would be sometimes useful. A note length selector could be added (1 bar, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, off)and every time, when you manuallyenter notes, it could automatically set the note off.

I’m not sure, if its possible to develop a tool for that, because i cant find any observable for “new note in pattern”.

I’m not sure, if its possible to develop a tool for that, because i cant find any observable for “new note in pattern”.

It’s called the line notifier. Check out this topic:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/add-notifier-for-any-pattern-editing/35975