Help With Rewire: "No Rewire Devices Available"

Trying to connect Renoise to Logic this way:

1. Open Logic (Version: Express 8) and an existing project.
  2. Open Renoise (latest version), and I click YES on the question on startup.
  • So far it seems Renoise uses the correct BPM etc.
  1. Add Rewire device into a track.
  • But it says “No Rewire devices available”

Anyone who know what I’m doing wrong?

If you open Renoise as slave, it won’t be able to control other ReWire hosts as Logic is the Master in this case, The ReWire device is a Master device.

I’ve tried the other way around; Logic being Slave to Renoise Master, with the exact instructions as you specify.

Sure that the problem is Logic then?

Edit: I think I got it to work now, by choosing Renoise as Input in an AUX channel in Logic. (Renoise is Slave, Logic Master)
Well, I’m new to this. :P

That can work yes, but that also involves host specific actions and procedures to follow.

If you want Renoise to be the master in your unaltered last reply, then you have to start renoise without having any other host active and load Logic through the ReWire device inside Renoise (do not start Logic manually after you have started Renoise)

I have a quick question in regards to rewire as well… I’m a long time Live user and want to use Live as a master and Renoise as a slave so I can use Lives midi effects and my VSTs that send out midi data to control devices in Renoise. My problem is I cant figure it out… I’ve rewired Live to Reason many times and have had no issues but I cant get Live’s MIDI tracks to see Renoise at all. Is there something I’m doing wrong or is this just not something that Live+Renoise is able to do…?

Thanks in advance, and I’m sorry if this has been covered befor…I’ve been searching for this answer for a week now :(

.agent

Renoise does not advertise its instruments and effects through MIDI. You can only control the currently selected instrument through MIDI and that is through a virtual MIDI cable. (And ofcourse you can also control mapped effect parameters this way).
There is still a debate how this MIDI support should be expanded in the ReWire feature.
For instance, DSP devices (or their parameters) could be allowed to be broadcasted along to receive CC messages, they can be mapped, so why shouldn’t they be allowed to be controlled by a ReWire master?

Rewire in Logic isn’t as obvious as in other programs and it took some searching until I got it.

try this:

1: Launch Logic
2: Create a new empty project in Logic
3: When Logic asks what kind of track to create, it does not matter if you choose audio or software instrument
4: Launch Renoise and then when asked if you want to connect as rewire slave choose yes
The two apps are now connected, now you have to make the channels in Logic
5: (this was the less obvious part) In Logic click on the tab to view the mixer, in the mixer window click on the options tab and select create new auxiliary channel strips, a window pops up, in the input field you will see renoise and all of the available rewire channels of renoise.
6: Your rewire configuration is up to you, make as many new auxiliary channel strips as you need.

There you go bro now go make some music :guitar:

edit* If you already have existing Logic projects:

1: Launch Logic
2: Open the Project you want to use
3: Launch Renoise and then when asked if you want to connect as rewire slave choose yes
4: In Logic click on the tab to view the mixer, in the mixer window click on the options tab and select create new auxiliary channel strips, a window pops up, in the input field you will see renoise and all of the available rewire channels of renoise.
5: Your rewire configuration is up to you, make as many new auxiliary channel strips as you need.

If you are rewiring on Windows 7, also try opening the applications with the administrator account (really use “run as”)
The last security patches in Win7 seem to force you to do that if you want some of your ReWire applications talking to another one.

Hey, sorry if this has already been answered and I’ve been either blind or simple in missing it…but, can you send individual tracks to individual busses/auxs/channels/tracks in logic (9) so that you can apply logics native plugins to the individual tracks (e.g. one track for kick that you use for side chain compression, one track for snares, one track for hi hats etc)?

I only have the demo of renoise atm, but next pay day I’m pretty sure I’m going to make the jump into the tracker world, I love crazy beats and I don’t see a better way of making them.

Thanks in advance :)

bump

Renoise can broadcast on 32 channels in the full version. The first channel is a Mix channel L/R (just like the Demo already does) . Then you have 31 L/R channels, in the ReWire master you can assign each pan-side of the channel seperately. (this would supply you with 62 mono channels if you would pan each bus to one hard side, twice).

Shhhhweet, track-attack here I come :) (may post back here if manuals cause confusion when trying to rewire once I buy the software).

Thank you :)