High idle cpu laptop

my laptop is: # ASUS TUF Dash 15 (2022) Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz FHD Display, Intel Core i7-12650H, GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB DDR5, 512GB SSD, Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 4, Windows 11 Home, Off Black, FX517ZM-AS73

Installed newest renoise, did the black viper windows 10 thing, using windows 11, turned off vitrual machine in bios. kept hyper threading on.

I disabled hyperthreading and it didnt make any difference… i wonder if all this asus software is in the way…

i un installed asus crate and stuff it didnt help

Hi @hexfix93
In which place have you seen that your CPU is high?
Does this happen when Renoise is on? In Renoise do you have plugins (VST/VSTi) installed and used in the current song?

1 Like

it’s idle, when i load it with nothing loaded, it idles at 13 to 17% cpu and fluxes. I have no plugins running… I wanna use renoise on my laptop.

and yes i am using asio4all.

That sucks @hexfix93.

Just to make sure, when you open Windows’ Task Master you see Renoise using that 13 to 17% at idle? Or are other processes taking up CPU load?

I don’t know what those efficiency cores do / how they work on your CPU. Maybe they cause some kind of inaccurate reading? Again, I have no idea if that’s even possible. But maybe you’re using 17% of those low performance cores rather than from your overall available CPU power? Speculating wildly here as I have no idea. Though I suppose you might be able to see that in the Task Master’s Performance tab.

Anyway, if you’re up for it you can try making a portable Linux* on a usb stick and run Renoise there. So you can see if it pulls a similar CPU load on your laptop. If that’s the case, you know it are hardware limitations of your laptop. Unlikely given your specs, though.

I suppose doing a clean re-install is not an option at this point, right?

*I have good experiences running Renoise with both Ubuntu and Mint.

ok i loaded up task manager on a fresh booted renoise with nothing loaded in it. cpu meter is up to 17 21% … task manager says its using 1.4% for renoise. task manager says only 3% of cpu is used.

So i dont know what to think, as far as using linux, no thanks, im a windows user.

That seems okay. So I think it’s safe to say the problem lies elsewhere in your windows installation. Look at the task manager again and deal with what else is eating CPU. And maybe explore the power settings, they can throttle CPUs.

Finally, just try to load/create a CPU intensive project. See how your machine handles it. Maybe it can deal with it just fine once all the cores are engaged.

Good luck.

no its renoise not reporting correctly… nothing else is eating cpu…

Just to clarify, in case there is any confusion. The CPU Renoise indicator (right on the top bar), indicates the “Audio CPU” load based on the chosen cores. It is not the CPU load of all processes. If this value is too high, you probably need to configure your sound card. You can “fix” it by lowering the sample rate value and raising the latency value in the Renoise preferences.

On the other hand, plugins (VST/VSTi) can consume a lot of audio resources if they are active. This will noticeably vary the Audio CPU value on the top Renoise bar.

If the cause of your problem is something else, you can ignore all this. But it is common for users to confuse these performance values. For example, the audio CPU value in the top bar of Renoise is not comparable to the CPU value offered by the Windows task manager, which indicates all processes.

1 Like

i work with 64 buffers, so i can play my vsts…