High latency on ASIO problem

Hi all!
I just bought a new sound card (ESI Waveterminal 192M). It has ASIO, 4 inputs, 8 outputs, 192kHz playback and all in all should be a very good new sound card.

Ok, here’s the problem… Lowest latency I can use without getting cracks in the sound is 46ms at 44.1kHz. And if I go up to 96kHz I get 21ms but then Renoise eats up all my CPU instead.

Any ideas???

Running on an Athlon 1200, WinXP. (I was told at the store they have had some problems on AMD processors)

I found an old post where Niko hade the same problem with a similar (192X) soundcard:
[http://www.dachiphop.com/~renoise/index.ph...5acbbb866167076](http:// this-link-is-no-more-valid?act=ST&f=3&t=453&hl=latency)

Niko, please contact me if you read this!

I haven’t tried on any other software yet as I haven’t anything else installed, but I will.

Jep, maybe I’ve got the same problem. I have a Echo Gina24 soundcard and it’s one of the kings for asio. (buffersize of 128 samples)

In programs like native instruments pro52 I could reach buffersizes of 256 samples without problems. I mean the standalone pro52.

When I load it in renoise it results in cracks when the buffersize of 256 samples is selected. Renoise seems to be a little slower in asio then other programs. Little strange because the peformance of asio mostly depends on your driver and not the program.

Anyway, I must select a buffersize of 512 samples otherwise I get cracks. When I use more vsti instruments I must increase the buffersize to 1024 or 2048. But that’s because my computer isn’t that fast. I have a celeron 433 with 128mb ram. :(

Next week I will buy an other computer. I think that will help :)

Anyway, renoise still roxx :D

Johan: In your case, try out other asio software like reason or something. When it have also a high latency, blame your soundcarddriver and not renoise ;)

I worked the last day on this problem and right now the asio latency is much better than before. have to check if its as fast as fruityloops, but remember that you never get latencies around 3 ms when audio consumes more than 50% of your cpu. this is one of the biggest disadvantages of windows-systems …

That is great!! :lol: :) I was a bit depressed yesterday spending $$$ on a new soundcard that produced worse result than my old SB 128, but now everything is better again! Renoise really rocks! :yeah:

And if CPU will be the next limitation I guess I’ll have to updgrade the entire system as well :)

My new computer has taken a lot of time (like dead on arival mainboard, crashed harddisk), but there it is: an AMD Athlon 2100XP with 512mb DDR.

Renoise seems to run a lot faster then on my old celeron 433. But there are still things I don’t understand. Like, I could run other musicprograms like Propellerhead Reason 2 with light-speed with a buffersize of 128.

In renoise (1.2 final) I could only take the max of buffersize 512. With a lower value I get a kind of ‘Sppppprrrrrrrrroooooooooiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg’ sound. Even with one simple sample. I also noticed ticks and hicks on (long looped) samples, also with a buffersize of 16384, my cpu stays on 0.5%.

When I switch renoise back to stereo-only modus, the ticks and hicks are gone. So with only 2 outputs and 512 buffersize it works well.

But maybe it’s an idea for taktik to research and optimize this asio problem :)

I’m sorry to tell but that is quite normal with a Guillemot Maxistudio ISIS. The card is good for harddiskrecording, but not for sampling. The latency is extreem on a ISIS. It seems that Guillemot cannot make a good driver. They also did not made a driver for windowsXP.

So if you wants to go work with sampling and asio, forget about the Guillemot ISIS.

I had a Guillemot ISIS and have sold it. Now I have a Echo Gina24 and the asio performance is much better.

I have the ‘Sppppprrrrrrrrroooooooooiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg’ sound too :) For some reason it has been getting worse lately and even winamp produce lag and cracks now and then. Still other apps seem to handle lower latency better than Renoise… :(

@organix

i might know whats going on. the buffersize in renoise 1.2 is fixed now (afaik 256 bytes each stream, so stereo it might be 512)

lets see if there is a way of quering the asio-audiodevice to check the currently used buffersize.

Jep that was me <_<