High Pass Filters - Filter Low End

What filter with which settings do you usually use for filtering the low end on each track? I use the digital filter with default settings and set it to ~200 Hz. Is there “a better filter” for that usage?

1 Like

i do the same !! as you …i think the other filter types in the digital filter device allow for a more linear type of slope in case you want to place it on the master track and cut everything from 30hz and below

1 Like

That’s my question. I use the biquad filter, but wonder if the others are better. Or what properties should a filter have to filter e.g. everything below 200 Hz? Are there any commercial plugins for just that application? Wonder what type of of filter they use.

1 Like

There is no right or wrong , it all depends , filter slope 6db,12,18,24 db etc… or even a simpe gain reduction/low cut with a eq to get rid of the low end .
Why would you even filter everything below 200 Hz , imho that’s nonsense

1 Like

sometimes your sounds dont need insformation below 200hz i wouldn’t say i cut everything below 200hz but if some of my synths sounds are interacting with the bass for the most part i would definitely cut until i can hear a clear change in the tone/character of the sound there is a super nice video about it !

1 Like

That’s a really good question, and I do have a reason I would do something like that! Also, like The Empty Self’s post.

Say I have a melodic part that is blending a bit into the lower/lower mid-range. If I don’t need melodic part’s lower mid-range sound (finding it kinda/sorta making things muddy), using the digital filter in this manner allows me to clean up the mix a bit. Better than volume because it keeps my volume level, but takes away unnecessary sound. If I place a pair of digital filters on every sound, I can essentially block out the entire mix that way.

Every part can then be controlled via volume and EQ. No bleeding, and volume and EQ are for making my sounds “sound” nice; sound-shapers instead of mix-correctors.

Of course, this is only one way to skin a cat.

1 Like