High Resolution Automation

So you know the way some people want really tight control over parameters with sub-line resolution?
Well in teh meantime you can use this trick/workaround if really stuck!

Trick 1: This works quite well

Render the full length of your empty pattern to sample
Set it to mono
Draw an automation curve using pencil in the sample editor (between 0 and 1)
now enter this note (C4) on an automation track: turn the post FX vol right down
Add a signal follower with no attack or release and route it to the desired parameter on another track

Trick 2: (I’m not yet sure whether or how well this works)

Hopefully in this trick you’ll be able to route multiple automations from one track using the Amplitude envelopes on the sin wave instrument
Pick a base note: edit its amplitude envelope:
Set a signal follower to monitor only this frequency : set it as tight as possible
Pick a note which isn’t a harmonic of the first:
Add another signal follower to monitor only this note
so on and so forth…

EDIT: I’ll post an example later today… I’m in work, but I’m locked out

Hah! Excellent if it actually works without any glitching. Thought about this at some point, but for some reason never tried it.

Trying this out when I get home. I guess you should give 09xx treatment for the automation patterns so that you don’t have to start from beginning of pattern every time.

Yeah thats one of the cool things about the first method; infact it’s the only real advantage over the drawable automation in other DAWS. One of the obvious problems is that theres no visual feedback, and the whole setting up one patern to control one parameter thing aint all that cool. Just thought it was an innovative use of the signal follower really!

To be honest I doubt I’ll ever actually use it; maybe if I want to put some very detailed automation in an intro or something.

How often does the Signal Follower read the signal and change it’s output? Every line? Every tick? Every sample? If I was forced to guess I would probably go for every tick but experimentation of word from the Devs would be needed to be sure. Nice ideas though.

I’m not 100% sure myself but it should be per tick. Surely it’s not per line, but I doubt it’s per sample

I would be surprised if it’s anything but per tick. This means that if you are using a simple ramp you will get exactly the same resolution (value changes) per pattern as you would with the automation window. It does give the ability to have changes in positions you could before (between lines) and get closer to instantaneous changes (one tick which as standard is 1/12th of a line, rather than one line) though.

Ah genius! Very smart stuff here!

I’m trying it out myself now. Seems pretty damn smooth and responsive. I did some per-sample ‘clicks’ but you have to make it much longer than one sample to really notice it.

You can always use the beat ruler if you want to get at least an idea of where you want to draw your ‘curve’.

Edit2: It seems pretty ‘loose’ in response actually. I’ve tried quite a few different parameters of FX and the results are much the same: tends to prefer curvy shapes. Anything jolted and quick will not be accurately mapped.

Not much of a surprise as the Signal Follower has to have a low pass filter otherwise you would be modulating everything at audio frequencies. Quite where the filter cut-off lies is another matter. May be some kind of response time/inertia to it as well…

Edit: Sorry not filter but envelope detection. Been a long time since I did my analogue modulation techniques. But if it was to work at high frequencies (small glitches) you wouldn’t follow the envelope of the wave but the wave itself and it would not work as a signal follower at all.

EDIT2: seems I was partially correct. Most basic analogue version is a rectifier followed by a filter circuit.

Yeah I’d imagine it isn’t instant, and it can’t be sample precise. It can be of use for simply having the use of a draw function though, something which I quite like; a little bit of creative stimulation when you’re bored! ^_^ You can come up with more organic/human sounding automations.

Ninjaaa!!! What a sick idea. And I LOVE IT! :yeah:

wicked m8! you’re a legend :)

placing looppoints on the handdrawn ‘automation’ sample having it synced and automating sensitivity etc on the signal follower is ridiculous win. Many options to be found!

Now we just need to be able to automate loop points (or choose between a selection of preset ones) :dribble:

This is it, thanks a lot man.

Now, any workarounds for midi routing? :)

this…is awesome. :o

lol that’s funny! Can you actually hear a difference?

Ok.
What you need to do is create a track called automation. Now create an empty mono sample that is as long as that track. Now draw in the automation curve using the pencil tool, keeping above the midline (0-1). Now add a signal follower to that track and have it control something else on another track. Simple as that ;)

Edit: As jonas has pointed out you can use all sample effect commands, 09xx, reverse speed up slow down etc… to mangle up your automation a bit.
You could try other things like adding a send to reroute the automation; sending it to a send track with a delay followed by a signal follower controlling another send track for instance!
BAM! delayed automation :rolleyes: