Hitori Tori is back

11 Likes

All the cool kids theme in purple :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Good stuff but nothing that we cant do if we set it up properly.Choose a bunch of random loops-one shots,map any controller with enough faders and buttons to some effects like beat repeat filters etc and jam away.

Hmmm… I don’t think it’s that sample. Is it?

2 Likes

Yep its that simple but you have to try it first.Just listen to his jams carefully,phaser effect,filter,beat repeat,crusher and random loops at high tempo.I might try this when i have a proper controller

1 Like

Read the comments

2 Likes

Sure it is. The trick is to apply taste & style to it. In choosing which loops and one shot to use in combination with what other samples and music. This is clearly a curated pool of samples to draw from. Not a combination of random loops and one-shops.

And Hitori Tori has fast hands with nimble fingers. So there is some physical skill involved in this case as well. But he may also have the controller input being quantized. Which would make things a whole lot easier. If he does it wouldn’t take anything away from his performance.

How’s this done in renoise?

Not sure if this applies to Hitori Tori, of course. And I’ve only ever tried to do it with triggering sounds.

When I jammed live with a midi controller I had the instruments with various loops and such mapped to my piano keys. Then in the sampler / instrument I tab selected quantize (line, beat, bar). I either chose beat or bar. And run the project at a high bpm. So when I triggered a sample it would start in time with what was already playing.

I think you can happily switch from pattern to pattern if everything is running at compatible BPMs. It can get a little bit chaotic though that fits the genre.

I’m not suggesting that Tori does this, but you can also run some kind of external midi filter that does real time quantize’ing for you.

Does that help?

1 Like

Yes it does, thanks. I wish there were more quantization options for instruments (1/4, 1/8, 1/16). I also wish that I could selectively quantize automation input, especially for repeater triggers. Any idea how to accomplish that? Would make live glitch edits more timing-solid

1 Like

Yup, more quantization option would great!

I only had limited success with the repeater effect. And it required pre-planning. Basically I had a copy of each pattern. One with the repeater effect enabled in the automation tab. And one with it disabled in the automation tab. So I could switch to a repearter effect enabled one if I wanted it. Far from ideal, I know.

This is way beyond my skill level, but I can imagine an Arduino, Raspberry Pi or one of those fancier Sharc processor things inserted between your controller and computer could do the quantize trick pretty easily. But I know nothing about coding so I could be totally wrong.

1 Like

decent ideas, for sure. Guess I just need to work on my performance timing in the meantime, lol

i usually just slap a repeater on my synths bus and map triggers to midi and hope for the best :upside_down_face:

1 Like