How did you meet Renoise?

I totally understand when it comes to how you feel about a piano roll. Cool thing is I saw piano roll tool around here as well for those who do prefer that. But if I’m going to manipulate musical data, I want to MANIPULATE musical data ya know?

Plus Renoise makes you look like a genius in front of everyone else. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

same here
interview with v smares

1 Like

It all began in in early 90s ( i think it was in 1990/91). I got my first Amiga. At the beginning i didn’t have much to to with making music. My big brother also was a big Amiga nerd. His best friend was a well known Amiga game cracker in Germany back in the days (Eddy X). He also founded a Amiga cracker group in Germany (Spreadcraft).
He always provided my brother with the latest cracked games.

One day my brother came back from his friend with a bunch of new cracked amiga disks. He gave me some of the disks and said, they may interest me. It was a new freshly released music tracker called Protracker. After my first experiences with this little tracker i was overwhelmed by what was possible with an amiga in terms of music making. I couldn’t keep my hands off it. Never forever.:laughing:
Later i also used the Octamed and Oktalyzer trackers.

In 2002 i switched from Amiga to PC and got familiar with the first PC music programs like the famous simple to use sample based softwares e-jay, Magix Musik Maker, Music 2000, etc.

Then i switched to my first real DAWs like Ableton Live, then Cubase and most recently Reason. I used Reason for many years until i felt like making music with trackers again. In 2015 i was searching the net for modern trackers and found the link to the Renoise site. I tried the demo and was once again blown away by what a modern tracker Renoise is. I immediately purchased a license and was tracking again like in my young days.

Long story short, it was my brother’s fault, why i started making my own music when i was 14.:smile:

I still use my Amiga 1200 for sampling purposes to get that oldschool 8 bit lo-fi sound of the Amiga.

6 Likes

I’ve mostly made my musical stuff on trackers instead of more conventional DAW software and/or MIDI sequencers. I started mostly by doing chiptune stuff on Famitracker then Furnace… I discovered Renoise a year ago and I immediately loved both how powerful this program can be and also how familiar it’s tracker interface was for me compared to other DAWs i saw.

5 Likes

It was included on Ubuntu KXStudio iso so I tried the demo and thought it was so cool (and super responsive) so I ended up buying it. the Linux compatibility was key. i will need a new subscription soon I think its was 2.8 when I bought it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Polyend Tracker caught my eye some time ago, and upon reading reviews and watching videos I noticed a lot of comments about Renoise. So I downloaded the demo, tinkered with it a couple of days and got hooked. Bought the license last week.

I’ve been struggling with Ableton live for some time but never really liked it. The structure and workflow of Renoise suits me much better, and I’m looking forward to spend a lot of time in Renoise and hang in this forum.

8 Likes

I came to Renoise in about 2010.
I used to make music on Pro Tracker in the 90s and worked with some Amiga demoscene guys who put my music on some game crack intros and other releases.
In 2010 I discovered Renoise
It was as simple as searching for something I could load my old .mod files into and remix them with more advanced features.
I’ve used Renoise ever since then and its my main DAW. I use it live and folks seem to enjoy seeing my Renoise screen projected onto the walls. It has a really ‘Matrix’ type feel

This is my first post in this forum. I’ve read it for while, so saying Hi
Freda.

10 Likes

First checked out Renoise around 2012 when FFF (tripletimesf) told me that he uses it to make tracks, was too alien for me to understand at the time (as I was only 15 or so at the time).
Tried again sometime in 2017 after starting with music in 2016 with FL Studio, failed again.

It wasn’t until 2017~2019 a Polish friend (Amaneog) bugged me on about trackers, specifically Renoise around 2019~2020.
Decided to take it seriously in February 2020, and thankfully for YouTube tutorials, as the pandemic struck in late March, took time to devote myself to learn Renoise as I was having a hard time getting tracks done in FL Studio due to various episodes of frustration.

Made my first proper tune in it sometime in May 2020 and decided to switch to Renoise entirely since then.
I’ve hardly opened FL Studio ever since.
Edit: now just need to take some time to learn FT2, OpenMPT, LSDJ/M8 . All in due time

4 Likes

About two years ago, I think. It all started with my interest in synthesizers, studying synthesizers led me to VCV Rack, and the VCV Rack forum led me to Renoise, I read about many happy users of the Rack/Renoise combo, so I thought I’d give a look at this mysterious daw. After two days of testing I purchased the license and it is probably the best money spent in my entire life.

4 Likes

Occasionally found some screenshots of Renoise it on some web page in 2006 (version 1.5). I Never used trackers before. First time I opened it I was confused)). In 2014 bought license and never regret. It saved me later from buying Polyend Tracker)) I Tried to use other trackers but Renoise for me is much more familiar and useful. in 2022 I also bought Redux. Renoise really feels almost like I am using hardware (I use keyboard and shortcuts a lot even in sample view while selecting or navigating). For me this bundle is worth every penny. Maybe here is not so much bells and whistles as in the other daws these days but it has own workflow other daws don`t have and it do the job really well.

4 Likes

She came in through the bathroom window. Never even questioned her on her lack of piano roll. We have been besties ever since.

2 Likes

I originally used milkytracker for about a year then my dad bought Renoise for my 11th bday

6 Likes

Glad to see that you’re making good use of the gift I gave to you son

2 Likes

you’re not him pal

2 Likes

Renoise met me.

1 Like

Me it was the husband of my sister wich found this but he never try it ,it was my first sequencer(i used to make sound with synthedit and leafdrum,orangator,hammerhead,etc).

At first i was a little intimidated but after some month i was able to do some things .

I bought renoise 2.7 at and i always have it i have a polyend tracker now but i still use renoise as a laboratory of idea,for editing my sample and bended them with vst,my sherman filterbank ,a quadraverb and some modular synth.

1 Like

Found it couple of weeks ago. Or actually, first time I heard about it was when I was in military. I was using openMpt back then. At that time I didn’t have money to buy anything really. Time went by, one of my friends introduced me to FL_Studio so I took that turn; I mean I had someone to teach me that right away and all that… About 18 years went by and I started reminiscing what I heard long ago. So I watched tutorial vids and other stuff about Renoise, and since there was a demo… I tried. I composed one piece and decided to buy the software. I was like fish in the water after couple of days due to my earlier experience of tracker workflow. Oh the nostalgy! I felt like I came back home after 18 years.

5 Likes