How did you meet Renoise?

In 2018 I saw this video by industrial hardcore producer Ophidian: https://youtu.be/CJnCLsXBIaY, where he uses Renoise to make a track exclusively from one 909 sample. But I didn’t look into Renoise further.

Fast forward a few years to when the Polyend Tracker came out. I watched a ton of videos on it and was a little obsessed, but I was short on cash. Then from the back of my mind I thought, isn’t there a software version of this? So I tried it out and it fit very well with the music I’ve been into making. I still record and mix in another DAW, since those are Renoise’s weak points.

3 Likes

hello , this is my first post on here (well i posted once in 2017 but i forget what that account was even called) ; i have been using renoise for around 8 years ; i was 14 years old and my aunt had just shown me aphex twins new album syro and i got obsessed with it, basically only listened to aphex twin and his aliases for a while (until late 2015, when i got obsessed with footwork and listened to almost only that genre for the next 2 years) …

there was that interview where he made a statement about his son using renoise to make music , and after seeing a video of it on youtube i instantly decided i needed to learn how to use it ; i had been messing around with music software since i was around 8 years old (mostly pxtone) but i was never really serious about it . i have almost exclusively used renoise since i downloaded it… this year i started using FL studio a bit , because i was too afraid to write melodies without a piano roll haha , but i am shifting back to just using renoise …

i love renoise and i think that without it there is no way i would think about or make music in the same way i do now , and im not even sure i could make the music i make without renoise … so i am very thankful for its existence!! (and to aphex twin for that interview…even tho i havent listened to his music in many years…)

6 Likes

I got it on a whim, just to spice things up and have a different context from which to make music with - like reading at home versus reading at a park.

Started with FT2 in '98, stopped for a few years and tried to find something similar for Windows XP in '02 and stumbled on Noisetrekker 3, which became Renoise shortly after. I switched to MacOS in '05 and bought a license, prior to that I recorded the output instead of render the songs.

I began using mostly hardware later on and dabbled with Logic, but always kept using Renoise for MIDI sequencing and clock. For the last decade or so I maintain a healthy balance between producing with hardware and Renoise, but always record the hardware stuff in the sample editor and do pre-mastering in Renoise.

1 Like

I got into making electronic music in the early 2000s after years of playing in live bands since the early 80s. I started with hardware like MPCs and early Electribe products. I decided to go into the computer due cost and the fact that computers and VSTs could just do more and were getting more powerful. Never really made much music with software however due to learning curves and the overload of options learning multiple DAWS and VSTs, so i went back to hardware due to the limitaions made me more creative somehow. Long story short…I started researching how guys were making music with trackers and hardware in the early days of computing and something clicked. I loved Ableton but somehow the whole process of using a tracker makes me more creative, kind of like going back to the future and using certain limitations to my advantage again. Since using Renoise i have come out with full album releases every year. Something I never had done with hardware alone or other DAWs ever. Call me weird but I really love the whole process to get there sometimes more than the finished product, yet Renoise ticks all the boxes on both ends. I like a good challenege. You should meet my wife…lol

1 Like

+/- my story.

I’m a John Tejada fan.

Was looking for an all around sampler plugin and ran across DJ Ave Mcree’s YouTube vid doing a review on Redux. Demoed, fell in love instantly, and bought it.

After a few months of using Redux in Live and FL and browsing through the forum I realized that the plugin’s workflow and functionality was multiplied tenfold in Renoise. Didn’t even demo just bought it. I haven’t found a Reason(pun intended) to use any other DAW.

Crazy part is that I mostly make trap, drill and reggaeton. I see that the functionality of Renoise is primarily geared towards DnB(which I love btw) but it lends itself incredibly well to my styles of choice.

IMO it’s like a secret weapon for other urban genres. I really think it’s an untapped market for this DAW

8 Likes

I used other trackers for years and was looking for a robust tracker with vst support and DAW features. I mainly used Famitracker at the time which happens to have a theme named after Renoise. I thought it was some word in French or something and looked it up. Love at first sight, I instantly switched and I’ve been using it as my main music program ever since

1 Like

VenetianSnaresVenetianSnaresVenetianSnaresVenetianSnaresVenetianSnaresVenetianSnaresVenetianSnares

2 Likes

By accident through misunderstanding :sweat_smile:

Long story short: liked SunVox. Used to us FL Studio (the shiver me timbers edition :joy:). Decided I could finally afford to invest in some software. Found Reaper. Found Renoise. Confused the two enough that I pretty much decided to buy Reaper, but instead got Renoise. Happy accident. (had way too many “infinite routing” reaper memes and superfluous DAW specs in my brain)

I use both Reaper and Renoise now.

5 Likes

spread the word, mang :+1:

love to hear some of your productions, too. I made some trap beats in renoise a while back and thought the workflow was great for it. unlimited sampling power

1 Like

I started with Protracker and Octamed on Amiga, after switching to PC I went through a few different daws and settled on Reason 1 (later accompanied by Acid Pro). After being more and more dissatisfied by Reason’s lack of sampling/sample mangling capabilities (and VST support) I found Renoise (1.27) and switched to it in v1.5. Then it got Mac support, so I switched to mac and also added Logic Pro.

Lately I’m mostly using hardware (MC-707 and Digitakt, which really feels like a tracker in it’s core, just with different interface), but on computer Renoise remains my main daw.

2 Likes

I’m old. I mean, really old. I started making music on the Amiga 500 when I was 12 years old in 1990. There I was using Protracker.
grafik

When PCs became popular, I bought a Gravis Ultrasound for my 486 and installed a program called X-Tracker. (I think I “met” @keith303 in that time) Fun Fact to X-tracker: Only Radical Rhythms had the 16bit-Version. Fun Fact 2: The creators of XT made Traktor DJ and Babbel.

grafik

After that I got introduced to FT2 and in 2001 I bought Renoise.

6 Likes

We’re the same age, you bastard… We’re not old yet! :grin:

4 Likes

First time I ever heard about it was in 2020, I was starting in this whole music production thing and I was watching a Barry Leitch masterclass and he mentioned he used Renoise. Back then I didnt pay enough attention, I was too busy learning FL Studio and I didn`t actually like chiptune. So… fast forward, I got interested in Aphex Twin again, I wanted to make computer music, suddenly I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGK-EzEa45U

It was love at first sight, the rest is history.

1 Like

Of course! I’m gonna be starting a YouTube channel pretty soon. Im gonna live stream while I cook up and post my beats there too.

4 Likes

Dope. Definitely let ppl on the forum know when you start posting content! :+1:

1 Like

I definitely will, I hope once I start uploading, I can bring more trap/drill producers to Renoise. Working on my presentation and of course getting efficient with Renoise. I feel like I’ve gone from beat maker to beat programmer lol

2 Likes

I feel you on being a beat programmer. So much control over the fine details and such rich density of information with renoise if you want it. Piano rolls just kinda feel empty to me anymore. Looking forward to your videos! And maybe even moreso looking forward to the next level trap/drill they’re gonna inspire :metal:

1 Like