How do I convert a v3 song to v2.8?

How do I convert a v3 song to 2.8? I’d like to finish my song, but the option I want to be able to finish it has been removed from v3.

You know you can have multiple versions of Renoise installed simultaneously (even thought you might not like a certain version)?

I guess the only way it to remove that special feature only one version is offering.

You know you can have multiple versions of Renoise installed simultaneously (even thought you might not like a certain version)?

I guess the only way it to remove that special feature only one version is offering.

I can’t load the v3 song into v2.8.

@Kizzume,

Sorry for any frustration you’ve encountered, but 3.0 songs were never intended to be loaded into 2.8 or earlier versions.

While we do obviously maintain backwards compatibility so that older songs can be loaded into newer versions of Renoise, doing the reverse — maintaining “forwards” compatibility — is a heck of a lot harder to realise, and is unfortunately not something that we can justify spending a lot of time on.

Technically, it would be possible to hack the Song.xml and manually search/replace (or necessarily remove) all the differences between the two versions, but due to the large number of things that have changed in 3.0, this would be a very time-consuming and tedious process to do by hand, and would probably only lead to even more frustration. For sanity’s sake, I’d personally avoid this method.

Luckily, it is still possible to copy basic pattern data between instances of 3.0 and 2.8, since the technical differences there are quite minimal. You can open instances of both 3.0 and 2.8, then copy/paste the pattern data between them, taking care that the number of tracks and pattern lines match. The instruments will unfortunately have to be recreated in 2.8, but thankfully since you are using external MIDI instruments with only a few basic properties (as far as I could see), this is actually not a big deal.

Since this song is obviously important to you, I’ve taken the time to do what I just described above. You’ll have to forgive me for using my generic Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, as this is the only MIDI device I have. Hopefully you can simply switch the instruments back to your Scarlett 2i4 and they’ll sound as intended.

5223 9years_converted_282.xrns

Great customer support,dblue :slight_smile:

Indeed ?

@Kizzume,

Sorry for any frustration you’ve encountered, but 3.0 songs were never intended to be loaded into 2.8 or earlier versions.

While we do obviously maintain backwards compatibility so that older songs can be loaded into newer versions of Renoise, doing the reverse — maintaining “forwards” compatibility — is a heck of a lot harder to realise, and is unfortunately not something that we can justify spending a lot of time on.

Technically, it would be possible to hack the Song.xml and manually search/replace (or necessarily remove) all the differences between the two versions, but due to the large number of things that have changed in 3.0, this would be a very time-consuming and tedious process to do by hand, and would probably only lead to even more frustration. For sanity’s sake, I’d personally avoid this method.

Luckily, it is still possible to copy basic pattern data between instances of 3.0 and 2.8, since the technical differences there are quite minimal. You can open instances of both 3.0 and 2.8, then copy/paste the pattern data between them, taking care that the number of tracks and pattern lines match. The instruments will unfortunately have to be recreated in 2.8, but thankfully since you are using external MIDI instruments with only a few basic properties (as far as I could see), this is actually not a big deal.

Since this song is obviously important to you, I’ve taken the time to do what I just described above. You’ll have to forgive me for using my generic Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, as this is the only MIDI device I have. Hopefully you can simply switch the instruments back to your Scarlett 2i4 and they’ll sound as intended.

attachicon.gif9years_converted_282.xrns

Holy cow! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Wow! Yeah, that is truly great customer support.