How do I import MIDI patterns?

I have a few midi patterns from on my desktop i want to load in the project. But it keeps on creating a new project and asking me to save the current one when i try to load a Midi pattern in. I just want to load in the midi pattern into the current project, not create a whole new project. Anything im doing wrong here? Currently working with the Demo version of Renoise.

In Renoise 3.0 and earlier, importing a MIDI file will replace the entire song.

In Renoise 3.1 (currently only available for registered users to beta test) this has been improved a little bit, so that importing MIDI into an existing song will append the MIDI data to the end of the song instead, allowing you to pick out the parts that you intend to use.

Nevertheless, working with MIDI files is still a bit awkward in Renoise. If your MIDI files are just short patterns, then it might be more comfortable to keep a second instance of Renoise open to use as a temporary workspace. Import your MIDI patterns into the second instance, then copy/paste the pattern data you need back into the main instance.

Aha I see, ya for now ill be using a second Renoise to load and copy small midi patterns into my main Renoise project. I did try how the beta worked and it would load my midi pattern on to a new Renoise pattern at the end creating a new track aswell. Not so bad but i think people would rather have it load at the postion u are working at and overwrite existing data on that track. Ill keep playing with it. Thanks for the help!

In Renoise 3.0 and earlier, importing a MIDI file will replace the entire song.

In Renoise 3.1 (currently only available for registered users to beta test) this has been improved a little bit, so that importing MIDI into an existing song will append the MIDI data to the end of the song instead, allowing you to pick out the parts that you intend to use.

Just tested this with Spark LE and I bet it also works with the Maschine for dragging and dropping MIDI patterns. Then, I convert to phrases and Save the Preset of Phrases for use with other Drum machine kits, or Redux XRNIs (drumkits) which I have made using the ‘New instrument from vsti’ to capture the drumhits and then modulate inside the xrni . I might make a video on this and how to use it to MAKE XRNI as a SONG with phrases. And save this xrni for use with Redux inside Maschine or any DAW. :wink:

Just tested this with Spark LE and I bet it also works with the Maschine for dragging and dropping MIDI patterns. Then, I convert to phrases and Save the Preset of Phrases for use with other Drum machine kits, or Redux XRNIs (drumkits) which I have made using the ‘New instrument from vsti’ to capture the drumhits and then modulate inside the xrni . I might make a video on this and how to use it to MAKE XRNI as a SONG with phrases. And save this xrni for use with Redux inside Maschine or any DAW. :wink:

could you please give us an example?