How do I make the Convolver not sound like garbage?

I just downloaded the 3.2.1 demo since I’ve been thinking about upgrading. It sounds alright, but why can’t I get the convolver to not sound like shit? I get all these clicks, it’s either too quiet or it overdrives and clips like crazy, the effect it has on the sound isn’t particularly dramatic…am I missing something about it?

I find keeping the IR at a lower volume really helps. I like the reverb “sound” of Pure Data and Max/MSP. So, I trigger those reverbs from various standalones and keep their volume around -10dB, approx.

I also adjust the Convolver’s wet mix, keeping it down around 10-15%. Keep the dry signal all the way up.

If you want to wash the sound in a reverb IR, that’s where you may come into the ‘too loud’ territory. One other thing you might want to try is using it in a Send Channel, to save CPU and add one more layer of volume control in the process. If you’d like to boost the reverb’s wash post-reverb, use the distortion device, choose “Shape” and keep the wet signal at 10% or less, while keeping the dry signal up 100%. Or use a compressor in the same way, to boost, yet “cap” the signal.

2 Likes

@moodorf - I also want to add - I’m ‘sampling’ (cutting/pasting) pre-recorded Max/MSP and Pure Data reverb samples, not triggering the software. So, I go into one of the Max/MSP and Pure Data standalones, use a snare sound into the reverb that the standalone has (with a sequencer or whatever), and then write it to a file. Then I put it into an audio editor and cut out the portion of the reverb that I want to use. I forgot to put that in, and it’s a PITA typing this stuff on an iPhone instead of the desktop.

Depends on what you put in the device, no? Is there a big change in how the same impulse response sounds in the native convolve device compared to a vst for example?

Totally agree that the amplitude of the impulse response is key.

@moodorf After some trial and error, I now almost always normalize any impulse responses I’ve created to -24dB RMS. To be clear: RMS, not peak! This keeps every sound in the same “loudness” ballpark, so I can switch impulses easily without having to readjust wildly varying levels every time. I picked that amplitude because it avoids 0dB peaks on just about all the material I’ve thrown at it. Give it a shot on a folder full of impulses and I think you’ll see how much better things can sound.

As a skydiving instructor somewhere said: If you normalize every impulse response to 0dB peak, you’re gonna have a bad time!

1 Like