How Do You Feel About Giving And Receiving Feedback On Songs ?

I only give feedback if the track I downloaded surprised me one way or the other. I don’t like giving feedback much, because I don’t have much to say… the things I like/dislike are often a matter of taste anyway and as some of you know, I don’t have a good taste.

Still, hypocrite as I am, I LOVE receiving feedback. Ha ha hahrrmmm…

there are periods of time during which I have not so much time to listen to submitted music, but honestly i tend to listen only to the songs which may interest me: when I see a topic such as “hey d00dz check mah nu r00lin’ breakk0r3 choon”, I simply ignore it, because there is no interest in such kind of music for me, then my feedback would be of no use for the author.

these are the majority of the songs which can be found on this forum, so I rarely give feedback, though there are some artists who I personally find very interesting, for whom sometimes I don’t get the chance to express my appreciations because of lack of time.

I chose “something else” for my answer:

I disqualify myself from rating many songs. If it’s a genre that doesn’t interest me, and I don’t have the listening experience to appreciate it, I do not offer an opinion.

Further, if someone has made an honest effort, but not really produced anything great, I prefer just to pass by and let it go. My real interest is finding music I like, and then promoting it.

This is a bit self serving. The kind of music I like is also the kind that I play. So, if I help build an audience for jazz fusion / progressive rock / whatever, I’m raising awareness and indirectly helping myself – especially if I can get people interested in the really heavy hitting bands out there.

Last week, I had a conversation with a Canadian Mountie. He was at a conference I attended, and talked about his first post. A train would come into this town in the very far north, apparently with nobody on it. When the train stopped, all these folks would get up out of the seats, where they had been hiding. The reason: bored people in town would shoot at the train when it came in.

Now, if you were going to promote the concept of “mass transportation” to someone, would you make their first trip on THAT train, or on a modern line between two major cities?

It’s the same with music. Even if I review a bad song in my genre, I raise awareness of it. People might think it was typical for the genre – a typical train ride, lets say. Better to put them on the bullet train and let them ride along at 200 mph (and, special bonus, no shotgun pellets flying through the car).

If you want feedback please PM me.

i put songs up everywhere i can just to get the maximum amount of exposure/feedback/ego massage/slating that i can.

i rarely listen to anyone elses tho cos i’m a lazy & selfish bastard.

This thread reminds me of CTGMusic… minus the bantering over song review policy :P … so I guess it doesn’t really remind me of CTGMusic xD

feedback is nice, usually i dont have time to leave comments on everything i listen to and similarly neither would i expect most people who listen to bits i post to bother with a reply. mainly its cool to hear what other people are doing, so i think feedback is a secondary function of the page which is useful if people have something constructive or encouraging to say, but is not essential.

It’s funny to see you mentioning that. Right now, again, similar discussion like this one’s going on over there. Although this time, it’s about bashing an überhonest/harsh reviewer who almost violates every rule.

However, voted - I can’t be bothered. - Simply because nowadays, the music posted here is mostly something which I can’t really figure out tbh and can’t get in any relation with it.
About the issue with harsh commenting though: I generally agree with Gilli. I want to add though, that I’m also a strong supporter of honest (not harsh) and helpful comments. I mean, what would demoralize you more? A comment like: “that just sucks!”, “the mastering sucks, your melodies are all so much off-tune that I get earcancer, your drumwork is just poor and repetive and why are you making music at all? Stop it… for the humanity!” or “well, that track has serious issues, there, there, there, there and there. but you could compensate these issues with this, this, that, eq that there, compress this here and it could sound a little bit better already. Practise DOOD!”

Ho lol, CTG… it’s like modern democracy: everybody agrees, but nobody does anything.

Generally, I agree with BotB.

I remember a site about 8 years ago or so where you could sign up as a musician and a reviewer and it was primarily for tracked music. It had all different genres and a rating system. There was no lack of feedback for sure.

I uploaded a few of my songs and within a few days had about 5 or so very detailed reviews for each. The review was setup where it would break down the song into different categories such as sound quality, use of effects, creativity, uniqueness, etc. Of course much of this was subjective but I found it very helpful.

I wish I could remember the name of the site, I was kinda pissed when they closed it.

unpiss yourself

You may still be pissed. It’s fairly average.

Join #renoise - plenty of people there willing to help out in a more relevant and dynamic way.

Haha, I figured someone here would remember it. It will be interesting to see how it progresses. Apparently it was taking up a lot of the site owner’s time to manage it but maybe now with all the new web software available it will be easier.

i feel giving feedback is painful!

i feel receiving feedback is exactly the same…

I try to give meaningful feedback when i have time (even though I haven’t been on the boards much in the past month).

Whenever I can’t think of anything to contribute to what’s already been said, I just say something like “Good job!”

Tagline of the week.

I usually refrain from giving feedback, since I can be pretty straightforward about what I dislike. And face it: at least 90% of the material out there sucks big time (90% of everything is crap, after all). I really don’t like it when people give constructive criticism when something is obviously not good from the get-go. Yes, that also applies to my own stuff: I’d rather get candid opinions than beating around the bush.

The only feedback that matters in the end might be from people in the music biz. At least they know what they are talking about.

I occasionally keep an ear out for stuff from artists I know & like on these forums and will often give feedback for them if I find the time, and almost definitely if it rocks my socks. When I have some new material and post it in the forums, I listen & review a small handful of other’s work in the hope I get some feedback on my own work, but I never expect it. I always post on other sites more orientated towards music reviews anyway, such as Dance industries, DOA, Reverbnation, living athiest etc, asnd always return the favour.