How do you match BPM with Vocals?

I produce wery hard techno, hardcore-techno / gabber with Renoise.
One producer friend that have worked with Renoise longer showed me a code that should sync the vocal with any bpm I choose to produce with in Renoise.

I thought, wow, nice what an easy way to get the vocals and BPM in sync. He told me that it was this:
“code” os00 och osf00 and click ctrl I to create the code for vocals. I do this in each patterns fx section.

I record some own vocals, with help of others but I also sample a lot of vocals from anything I want to use.
(Like movies etc and I also buy vocals sometimes.)

Now when I check I know that this code and method dont work. I have double checked by export a vocal file and check the vocal with FL Studio, and I see now this is not correct.

I would like to know any tips & tracks on how people that make any kind of dance music match vocals with the bpm of your track?

Slice or OFFSET “S00-SFF” like u use is one way. But it has or generate glitches…

in the sample propertie section there is the
image|361x67

Enable and play with that.

Also u can create Phrases then inside use S parameter to OFFSET 00-FF, more row or step is more preciese OFFSET u get.

in other ways i use Slice Markers, if the Vocal is almost perfect.

If all this not worked for you. Export the song, go to Reaper (free) and use Slice and or Timestrach to fix errors! Then export and go back to renoise. Or use ReWIRE in Reaper

1 Like

If the start of the vocal sample is perfectly on beat, it’s just a matter of finding the right tempo really, for the sample and/or the song. For that I use beatsync and skip forward a few minutes … if it’s still on time then, it’s perfectly on time more or less.

But you only really have that situation when you rendered your own vocal tracks to a sample :stuck_out_tongue: otherwise, there’s always too much silence or not enough silence at the start of the, say, a capella. And when it’s not even electronic music ( = played by real people), it might have subtle speed drifts and that can be such a PITA I gave up on it before.

To be honest, I just fuzz around a lot, and once it sounds good in the beginning I skip a few minutes into the song and then try to fix that without undoing that beginning part being in sync. It’s a bunch of back and forth until it sounds good enough.

If you have an acapella but also a version with vocals and music, you could try putting both in a renoise module aligning them perfectly (when the phasing on the vocals turns to them just being louder, and shifting either way introduces phasing again, you got it), then cutting them ( = the acapella without music, too) on the (or “a”) first beat of the music, to give you a sample that’s much easier to work with (because now you have the first scenario, a perfectly aligned sample)

1 Like