How do you select a pattern to edit?

So this is something that seems like it should be really obvious but I can’t figure it out.

Ok, click the plus sign to create new pattern, done. Now how to I switch between the 2 patterns? The only way I have found to do this is by clicking the black button with the play button inside, but this causes the that pattern to start playing, and then I have to click stop to make it stop. How can I just, select a pattern to edit?

edit: Figured out you can use the scroll wheel for this, but is there another way, for when you inevitably have a ton of patterns in a row and you say, want to go from the first pattern to the last one?

You can use the arrowkeys to move around when the pattern sequencer/matrix is selected but scrolling is the way to go imho :)

If you are in Pattern Editor you can use CTRL+UP/DOWN.

Yep relevant shortcut keys on keyboard are Ctrl+Up/Down, Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn, and Ctrl+Home/End
If you want to customize these, they can be hard to find in the prefs sometimes as some are named “jump”, some “select”, some “pattern”, some “sequence” etc.

or maybe you just have overlooked the scrollbar, which appears right to the pattern matrix whenever there is more than one pattern ;)

Also, right below the pattern editor, enable the second button from the left. That way when you scroll to the top/bottom of a pattern, it moves to the previous/next pattern rather than wrapping around within the same pattern.

But yes, scrolling through the pattern matrix is quickest.

And yet another way to quickly jump to a pattern is simply by entering the number of that pattern in one of the pattern sequencer’s sequence slots.
Doubleclick that yellow box.

Yeah, but then you are also reprogramming the sequence. And when the “keep patterns sorted” is checked, numbers are swapped.

Absolutely! ;)

(Now I feel guilty. :mellow: )

Oh, I did, ok that’s way easier.

Well I’m coming from chip trackers, and every tracker I have ever used before, you simply click on the pattern. It really confused me when this was not the case in Renoise.