How do you users Enter Arp's / Runs into the Pattern editor

Hi folks new user here,

I would like to know how most of you use the pattern editor to write fast arpeggios & runs , currently I’m doing ZL 08 to double the LPB and expanding the pattern that already exists in LPB 4 world , just for the section I need faster notes then going back to a ZL 04 .

Is this a legit way of doing it or I’m I being stupid ?

If you take advantage of note delays you can essentially place notes “in between” pattern lines. Combine this with multiple note columns stacked side by side and you can do some pretty rad stuff.

A quick silly example:
6764 dblue-2016-06-02-delay-column-arps.xrns

(Not to mention phrases which can have their own independent LPB running much faster or slower than your main song)

Changing LPB isn’t stupid at all, quite the contrary.

Also, what dblue said. Also-also, relevant topic:
https://forum.renoise.com/t/question-about-fast-runs-in-slower-songs-lpb-related/45740

Wow Thanks for the fast replies !

Ok so I guess there are many ways to achieve the same goal, just wanted to check In case I was missing something glaringly obvious.

About using note delay, How does one use the ‘Values’ relative to rhythmic sub division ? 8th notes / 16th’s / 32nd etc…?

Sometimes i just use a plugin though i prefer to build the notes from chords from arpeggios on guitar and transfer it over. I also use a chord finding vst sometimes as a shortcut, circle of 5ths or chord charts. I find a greater sense of achievement building arpeggios from scratch with an instrument that suits. :slight_smile:

Ah yes of course there are some excellent plugins out there for arp’s, however I’m ok with music theory and actual composing the trouble is sometimes implementing them in Renoise the fastest way.

Anyone have an actual table to show how note delay values relate to beats ? 8ths / 16th / 32nd etc…?

How does one use the ‘Values’ relative to rhythmic sub division ? 8th notes / 16th’s / 32nd etc…?

The note delay column ranges from 00 to FF giving 256 total possible values.

Some useful values for even timings:

• 40 (64 decimal) = 1/4 pattern line
  • 80 (128 decimal) = 1/2 pattern line
  • C0 (192 decimal) = 3/4 pattern line
    Some useful values for triplets:
  • 55 (85 decimal) = 1/3 pattern line
  • AA (170 decimal) = 2/3 pattern line
    When you’re working at 4 LPB every pattern line is equivalent to a 16th note.

So you can get 32nd notes at 4 LPB by having two notes on a single line: one note with no delay, and one note with a delay of 80 (as in my example song above).

You can get 64th notes at 4 LPB with four notes on a single line: one with no delay, one with a delay of 40, one with a delay of 80, and one with a delay of C0.

Etc.

Just experiment with it :wink:

The note delay column ranges from 00 to FF giving 256 total possible values.

Some useful values for even timings:

• 40 (64 decimal) = 1/4 pattern line
  • 80 (128 decimal) = 1/2 pattern line
  • C0 (192 decimal) = 3/4 pattern line
    When you’re working at 4 LPB every pattern line is equivalent to a 16th note.

So you can get 32nd notes at 4 LPB by having two notes on a single line: one note with no delay, and one note with a delay of 80 (as in my example song above).

You can get 64th notes at 4 LPB with four notes on a single line: one with no delay, one with a delay of 40, one with a delay of 80, and one with a delay of C0.

Etc.

Just experiment with it :wink:

DBBlue thank you soooo much, this exactly what I’ve been looking for mate!!

Or do it with phrases and then trigger them with single notes… There you can change the LPB individual for each phrase instead the LPB of th main pattern

Ok So the dreaded word…Triplets !

I am having trouble trying to write a triplet run in a LPB 4 song - what is the easiest way to do this? It’s just a fast flurry of notes in a piano track not all the instruments

I am having trouble trying to write a triplet run in a LPB 4 song

Remember what I said in my post above?

At 4 LPB you can achieve both 8th note triplets and 16th note triplets pretty easily with delay values of 55 and AA.

For example:
6861 dblue-2016-07-27-triplets.xrns

If you’re struggling to calculate the delay values yourself, then you can always use a tool such as my Fractional Notes Tool to take care of the boring stuff for you. You just tell it how many beats you want, how many notes you want to fit into that period of time, and let the tool do the rest :wink:

As a starter , just set to lpb 8 , that’s a 32 nd note per line .

Experiment further with note delays as taktik suggested .