How Do You Work With Long Breakbeats?

yeah, to elaborate on the above answer…you know those instruments that Renoise comes with?

ChipSaw, ChipSquare, 909 kit etc… those are .xrni: basically a collection of samples or one sample turned into an instrument.

I basically have most of my favorite sounds: drums, synths, weird fx, chopped up breaks as .xrni :walkman:

Your 2 problems are no problems, this is 95% daily grind of a producer. Composing music + learning it isnt quite a easy job all the time. But this is also the fact which makes it interesting to learn.

A vice versa solution would be to avoid using drumloops, instead creating your own drums, at least avoid using long breakbeats-drumloops, instead creating your own breaktbeat using just a 16steps long drumloop.

@Tarek-FM: i see, thank you :)

no it’s not. a producer that uses the piano roll has easier play creatin beats due to immediate access to trigger beats. my workflow is oftenly obstructed… have you actually read my first post?

come on people, really, my problem is not about how to slice up all breaks and stuff, since i know all this already. it’s about handling LONG breakbeats in production. slicing the LONG breakbeats is not an option, because it would create way too much instruments/samples.

i don’t understand you. why should i not be using a funk break if i actually want to, and instead be using something totally different (my own drums? are you serious? that’s something totally different). sorry but your post is not helpful.

You can chop your long breakbeat into shorter fractions. So instead of one long break you’ll have 4 short ones which will give you more 09xx resolution.
And anyway what’s so special about a long breakbeat? I believe it’s mostly reapeating. So a short break should be sufficient enough to work with to create your own break variations in the pattern editor.

For the “playback selected area” question: do mean in the pattern editor or in the sample editor?

yes i know that =)

well maybe you don’t know enough breaks then :P i have breaks which are very long and vary a lot. personally i don’t want to produce much 4 or 8 bar loops beats, but having a full resolution of the breaks to vary the beats a lot.

pattern editor. maybe if people agree with me to have this featured (which would be very nice!!) then i could post this in the Suggestions section.

Something similar to this suggestion?

don’t worry too much about people agreeing. just post it in Ideas/Suggestions if you believe it will be a valuable addition to Renoise.

Precisely how does a piano roll make working with longer breaks easier?

To be fair, Recycle! has been around for donkey’s years and allows you to export a midi file (normally as an ascending chromatic scale) with note lengths corresponding to the exact slice size of each hit from a break. This make it a doddle to reorganise the break on a piano roll when using any sort of sampler that supports REX files.

That said, personally I can no longer be arsed with this approach since I started using Renoise (09xx ftw!) and favour the already mentioned approach of dividing longer breaks into more manageable sections that improve the precision of the sample offset markers.

But each to their own…

that suggestion is very nice and comes close to what i want. i have left a comment in this thread which could make the draggable blockloop feature even better.

i have mentioned this a few times in this thread. in Renoise you have to work with 09XX or copypasting from template which is very time consuming and hence obstructing the flow of arranging beats. i’m not complaining in this thread about Renoise giving no possibility to chop breaks. not at all, it’s even the opposite. but using the piano roll is 100 times more convenient since you’re creating beats due to immediate access to trigger the slices.

No it doesn’t! Explain how entering data in a Piano Roll gives access to different parts of the sample in any way different to entering in a Tracker interface. It you beat is already sliced up or has markers, then maybe. But that is the same chopping it up and having it as an XRNI anyway! In fact most Piano Rolls are less conductive to it if anything!

Again explain HOW a Piano Roll makes it easier to access the different parts of the break at whim.

So the same as cutting it up and making yourself an XRNI with each hit on a different note? What Ripley said he doesn’t want to do? What you only need to do once and then can reuse in every song you want to use that break in. Or use ReCycle to create the different slices then load them all in one go, hit Generate Drumkit and do it in about a minute to the same quality as your example above (even though you can’t directly load the rex files.)

again: in renoise you have to look up the offset number in the sample editor, switch back to pattern editor and typing in the 09XX effect. for every hit. in piano roll you just have to do a mouse click for every hit. guess what’s more flexible and faster…

this is what i’m talking about all the time. this thread is not about how people slice their breaks. it’s about how you work in the pattern editor immediately when producing the song already, having the breaks already sliced and saved readymade for any future productions. and i INTENTIONALLY added the term “LONG breakbeat” because you wouldn’t slice a break that has 200+ snippets into 200+ instruments/samples, as i’m aware the “break divided into instruments” is the quickest method in renoise.

i don’t want to do it for a good reason, see above.

Yeah, I see what you mean but it’s still a manual process in the first instance from a chopping point of view (rather than a lazy, often inaccurate sensitivity threshold), but like I said you’re preaching to the converted over here!

You have to empathise that it’s a bit of a paradigm-shift when you go from using a traditional DAW to Renoise and many users have never used a tracker before, so I can understand some lingering piano roll devotion. Once you get comfortable though the piano roll becomes redundant for any sort of beat-slicing or drum programming but it takes a while to get familiar with new things.

I dont get the problem here?is it just the fact of the extra labour thats bothering you?I just treat long breakbeats the same as short ones???No big deal?just cut them up or 09xx them.

If you just load a sample into a DAW and click around on the Piano Roll all you are going to do is play the break from the beginning at different pitches! It does not in any way automatically slice it and give you instant access to different sections!!

yeah, i decided to read through the posts again because i did not understand what ripley was going on about (and seemed to get pissed about because people did not understand what he meant). now, i came to the same conclusion you did. i do not know what he means.

Now if he had said Audio Tracks I might have some idea what he was getting at. Most “standard” DAWs will have a Piano Roll and Audio Tracks. With the Audio Tracks you can see the waveform, line it up, trim it top and tail non-destructively, therefore getting access to any part of the sample fairly easily. Also of any length, rather than having to have just a single hit per note.

Has nothing to do with a Piano Roll though!! And still doesn’t give you access to different sections on different keys, which was claimed.

We now have an answer for you.

Use Renoise 2.7 :D

ha ha!! was gonna say that!! :lol:

I totally don’t understand this thread. You cut up your beats and you use them as seperate samples. End of story.