How Is Renoise Running On Osx?

just a little hint for people using portable macs for audiostuff…

go to system preferences, then to ‘energy saver’.
while there, go to the tab called ‘options’.
there you’ll find a place where you can adjust something called ‘processor performance’.
if you’re going to use audiostuff, you will want to set this to ‘highest’.
the other two options are good for batterylife, but not for performance.

note: this helps all processor-intensive programs, not just audio.
games, 3d-stuff, imovie … you name it!

I myself will buy Tiger immediately when it’s released friday, and will then probably spend time in front of the computer until Renoise works. I haven’t got a chance to do this yet, but I bet the problem cannot be big.

It will take a while before gcc4 is used as the compiler, as there are many problems with switching to a new version of the compiler. I will not even try to bet when this will happen, sooner or later…

• Simon

Hopefully you’ll get your copy!

The supply is pretty limited(Macforum for example gets a shipment of ~250 copies and +190 of them are already reserved, mine being one of them), jost for fun, they’ve already got their copies(they arrived on wednesday). YFO got 50 copies, MacSupport about a 100 and SOS-Data got 100 copies aswell. So there will be around 500 copies of Tiger available in Gothenburg…

You should try Amadeus II ( http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html )

Really simple to use, and a lot faster than Audacity. It even supports VST:s.

No multi-track…

Isn’t there ProTools Free for the MacOSX?

edit: just saw that it is only for OS9

Bwuhahahaha, free tools for the Mac :P:stuck_out_tongue:
Well, maybe today a bit more than couple of years ago.
But the MacWorld seems to be full of faithfully paying customers, so most software does not seem to be free.
Or it is very very crippled.

Actually it is / was : http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/17/ ;)

I’m not a mac user but since MacOSX is build on top of FreeBSD (my favo os at mo) there’s tons of applications now for it via the ports collection?

I also read somewhere that QuickTime 7 of the today released version OSX called Tiger is kickass. BUT when you want to view content in fullscreen you have to pay 30$ for it! What’s up with that? Is this common practice for Apple?

Not to bash or whatever… I’m just curious…

Rick

edit: some spelling corrections…

I’m a contracted employee of adobe (but they pay me shit, so f**** the confidentiality) and there’s a lot to be told in that rumor…

Heh…

I don’t know many Mac users who actually pay for ‘Pro’ version of Quicktime and most of us feel that ‘full’ QTPro should be include with the OS, and since it isn’t most of us use numbers straight out of SerialBox as a protest…

Yeah, there is a lot of unix apps available via the ports system, however I always preferred using Fink which uses apt-get. With that you can install binaries of unix apps, compiling is a bit of a hassle unless you want specific build options imho. BSD ports are still not officially supported in Tiger (it was first planned to come bundled with it) but that’s not really a problem unless you are an enterprise :lol:.
http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

That 30$ Quicktime registration is indeed very very very stupid. You pay 130$ for an OS, and you can’t play videos full-screen without paying an extra 30$. Of course you can download VLC or something, but it’s not about the app. It’s not even about the money. It’s just a stupid principle. All the reviews also flame Apple on that part.

Here is a technical review of Tiger:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars
Maybe a bit too technical for some of you dogs, but I like it.

Thanks for all the replies. So QuickTime is an exceptional case that has this payup thingy?

About the ports… Is the compile procedure different if it is a hassle? I mean it’s like 2 commands on bsd, well one if you do it like this: make && make install

I like things optimized for the architecture maybe it’s not needed on Apple machines and the binaries are already that way? A bit offtopic I know ;) But it’s my thread :lol:

btw: that ars technica review is awesome! never read such a detailed one…

Ok, because it’s your thread…

1 command I believe (port install lame), but it’s more about the time it takes to compile compared to installing a binary, but that was on a Quicksilver 800 and I am impatient. :P

Only on Altivec there is a huge difference in optimization between G4 and G5 I believe. I, unlike you, still don’t believe in architecture optimization that much. Perhaps you can run a test with ‘lame’ to see if it makes a difference.

:D

Well this optimizing is maybe because I use unix for production servers and need to be tight on resources and stable. Different area here. Thanks for your reply!

you can actually download normal tar.gz files too. ./configure && make && make install should work too, as long as you have the appropriate dependencies; mac os x has a full-featured X-Server-Application which can be run on top of it, so most linux/unix apps work without problems ( i have gnome and kde compiled and even run it from time to time, next to the usual apple apps, that#s perfectly normal)
kde, in fact, even runs native, without a x-server
And there’Re tons of good freeware-apps, apart from all the linux/unix apps. If you search a bit, you should almost always find a free solution which is almost as capable as the commercial one (excluding things like dreamweaver or flash of course)

regarding tiger:
I installed Mac OS X Tiger on Friday and I’ve not had any problems with renoise so far. Runs smooth as a cat :)

Speaking of freeware apps, every osx user should get a hold of the latest version of [midipipe](http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/audio/midipipe.html), if only just for the ability to trigger applescripts from midi events alone. Check out the sample pipes that come with it, especially the "Live control" pipe. It converts midi events into standard Live keystrokes, and I see no reason why this can't be done for Renoise. In fact, I'm working on one right now. The possibilities are now practically endless.

i used renoise live on my new powerbook g4 1.5 512mb osx 10.3.9 yesterday at the Pow Wow in Baltimore. really smooth. i was actually running renoise and schism tracker simultaneously for a couple segements. i notice the cpu usage going up into the 70’s at some point but it didn’t hiccup.

i wouldn’t be surprised if the gui in renoise on osx is it’s main performance hinderance. it works well, but it’s obviously the component that struggles the most. i start noticing gui performance issues around 40% cpu usage even though disabling “gui effects” and reducing frame rate doesn’t seem to have any positive effect.

oh well. i’m digging it and able to live with it. i’m optomistic about 1.6 :)

Is that triggering feature going to be embedded in Renoise or are you writing to have Renoise response to AppleScript events of that program?

No, it won’t be embedded in Renoise (at least, there’s no talk of it). It’s purely just a work-around for mac users. Midipipe can do a lot of cool stuff, it’s worth having a play with it.
I’m going to post the pipes I’m constructing for my particular setup in a few days.