How long does it take you to finish a song?

there is a plug-in on win and mac that but i don’t remind is name i have seen it on audiofanzine freeware.
to me it’s very difficult to say how time a song is making cause i create some samples from time to time i forgot their and when i make a song i search on my pretried samples in function of what i need so :blink: !!

When I have an idea, I can usually get as far as the first “verse”, sometimes the “chorus”. I always have difficulty thinking of a bridge or transition.

:huh:/>

Ah the golden question of ‘how long it takes to finish a song?’

I wish I had someone sitting next to me telling me I’d better stop now or it will never end. The truth is, that every piece has its own life, thus requiring more or (if I could request it) less of my time. I agree with Kyle here. My tracks have taken most of my life to finish. I’m sitting with a loop now and typing this!

Where is the Cobler that comes at night and repairs all the shoes?

I need him to finish my tracks!

Obvious answer is too long. Now, that I recently got my first pair of monitor speakers, it’s become lil bit less problematic. Before those monitors, especially big and boomy 170hz was a huge problem as mixes were way out of balance when listening elsewhere (of my headphones isolated inner world). That one I couldn’t correct with headphones as it wasn’t obvious. Now, it’s more than apparent.

So yeah, it’s not the composing that’s causing loss of time, it’s mixing and everything related to that.

That one thing I have truly learned, you really cannot mix things properly without some sorta studio monitors (addition to headphones).

Also, I’m rather picky for all sorta clipping and strangeness which might cause by different frequencies colliding. That alone have made me change the arrangements for dozen times to fix the problems (if eqing wasn’t option in my artistic vision).

To put things in concrete, nowadays initial composing takes a day, things after that… lifetime. So, next release I might not be here to live and see… :smiley:

When I start, and not think too much, I’d say 4 days to a week…3 hrs a day of working on a track(weekday)

composition and editing projects are NEVER completed. They are ABANDONED.

8 hours to finish a record ?! : )
Really ? Well then iam gonna shock u all then: it takes

5 minutes
to finish mine :PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

But seriously, it takes months for me to finish a track. To pick right sounds, generate new ones, to fiddle around with filters, constant add of the new channels and stuff, new inspirations, not to mention things like writer’s block…honestly.

I used to rarely finish songs, I just kept starting new ones, getting as far as a groovy loop or a “1 verse + chorus” state and getting stuck. This is not so much related to Renoise as much as psychology and my lack of practice in the ‘endgame’.

But this year I started doing WeeklyBeats so now by definition it takes me a week, tops :D
Which actually translates into 4-12 hours per track, as I have very little free time, just like most of us.

http://weeklybeats.com/#/ilkke

Most of these are Renoise, others are Caustic3 (a reason-like app on Android) or defMON (on commodore64).

I found that NOT using VSTs makes me much faster, as I can quickly skim through sample folders and use the native DSPs to shape the sounds. Your mileage may vary.

I make techno, so fairly simple. once i have the sounds i like(takes me about a day to feel comfortable with what i got). Then about half a day to a full day to compose what i got into a full track 4 to 7 min worth. What is the most time consuming is making sure i am happy with the percussion and effects. I constantly change the kick and the hats for some reason if i am not happy with them.
I am still beginning though, 2 years ago i was complete noob at everything but i am getting there! :)

I made an endless track in a couple of hours, but i still haven’t completed the song i started in 2006. :D

What the hell is “finish?”
;)

Seriously, I have yet to do that. Too busy making noise :P

…and I have no composition experience. Suggestions?

1356802081.jpg

Damn! He`s right! :smiley:

Usually I get to a melody line in a few hours.

Then I have to work out a bridge, and that takes me a few more, but to fix the melody line to match the bridge will take a few more, so I order a pizza and get in a sixpack.

For a secondary melody which will blend well with the first, and its own bridge in a sort of counterpoint with the primary is a more complex bit, so I’ll have to go to work. I sing snippets to myself while I’m shovelling dirt and digging holes, and at night while I’m staking out coyotes with a rifle I try to get good top lines in their songs.

After a few weeks go by, and the beer cans and pizza boxes are piling up I need to take a break so I build a wind chime using the pizza boxes for vanes, and the beer cans for the chimes. Depending on how badly it went, I usually have a few dozen empty bottles of Jack, or a few dozen empty mason jars in which I bought extra inspiration. The wind chimes help me put together a rhythm, in combination with the swaying of the grass in the breeze. If there’s snow on the ground, the wind’s howl helps me come up with new layers to the midline, and the empty plastic pretzel tubs create a new bassline.

The mix comes to me in a strange place, a strange space between time and place when it’s too early for the birds and too late for the foxes. I can tell it’s right because it fits the rhythm of me rocking back and forth, and the tune of my sobs, and the taste of the blade I use to carve the patterns in my thighs.

I can tell it’s finished when my guns sing along.

1 or 2 sittings. Usually if it takes longer than that I never finish it.

Anywhere between 4 hours and 2 years.

Composing usually takes the least - up to 1 hour. If it’s a full song well… months sometimes (depending on a recording artist). Arrangement usually takes couple of hours to nail with all the sound tweaking and premixing. Instrumental track usually takes longer, 2 - 3 arrangement and premixing sessions, so up to 3 days.

Healthy average, when I have a great chemistry with the voice talent, is a track finished in a period of one day.

My songs are never finished; I just get sick of working on them.

Ultimately it depends on what type of music I’m trying to make

(i.e. Chiptunes or electronic others)

But as of lately I start off with a bass line (sawtooth or some simple wave that has a mean bass sound) add the beats and then the melody. - those chiptune things usually take a good 10 hours to make and then mixing mastering also goes in while making the song(which I estimate that takes a good 4 hours since I’m always playing back those wonderful sounds!)

I lately continued a project in logic 9. Since I am used to editing in Renoise, it was a real pain (worked for years with Logic and Cubase). This nasty little piano roll, detail editing is so much better in Renoise and also sequencing. I actually prevented to edit the midi events after they were recorded once in Logic.

So for composition and sequencing I love Renoise. Ok the midi recording and quantization capabilities are quite rudimentary, that’s way better in Logic. I would say most time I loose time with technical aspects in Renoise. Like proper reverbation, proper mono stability, proper side chaining,proper compression, eq-ing etc. Do you loose time there, too?