How long does it take you to finish a song?

Usually I get to a melody line in a few hours.

Then I have to work out a bridge, and that takes me a few more, but to fix the melody line to match the bridge will take a few more, so I order a pizza and get in a sixpack.

For a secondary melody which will blend well with the first, and its own bridge in a sort of counterpoint with the primary is a more complex bit, so I’ll have to go to work. I sing snippets to myself while I’m shovelling dirt and digging holes, and at night while I’m staking out coyotes with a rifle I try to get good top lines in their songs.

After a few weeks go by, and the beer cans and pizza boxes are piling up I need to take a break so I build a wind chime using the pizza boxes for vanes, and the beer cans for the chimes. Depending on how badly it went, I usually have a few dozen empty bottles of Jack, or a few dozen empty mason jars in which I bought extra inspiration. The wind chimes help me put together a rhythm, in combination with the swaying of the grass in the breeze. If there’s snow on the ground, the wind’s howl helps me come up with new layers to the midline, and the empty plastic pretzel tubs create a new bassline.

The mix comes to me in a strange place, a strange space between time and place when it’s too early for the birds and too late for the foxes. I can tell it’s right because it fits the rhythm of me rocking back and forth, and the tune of my sobs, and the taste of the blade I use to carve the patterns in my thighs.

I can tell it’s finished when my guns sing along.

Back in the 90’s on a 4-channel tracker a song could typically be finished in an evening if you already had samples/synths curated.

Nowadays I feel like hours go into the black hole of either constructing sounds in a plugin, or searching thru 5,000 presets in 300 different plugins. Then 30 minutes making some beats/melodies. Then 3 hours playing with channel effects. By then, attention span is expired. A month later, listen to the incomplete song and then delete it.

2 years later, finally come up with a way to complete the song, go dig thru cobweb-covered hard drives to find the one random backup of the song, and spend another year polishing.

And finally, release the song a year after its genre has died out. Or, 19 years before it becomes a retro hit.

Around 2 weeks nowadays.

I can usually get the core idea down in one or two sittings but extending that into a full song is a tedious & painful process for me.I definitely envy faster working people.

a year.

Most of my stuff just gets abandoned… If like what I’m doing and I want to finish it it can take up to 1-2 months because I just work some hours on the weekend or on an evening after work on it so it can drag out pretty long. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m working on several tracks during last year. yeah i want to release an LP and not just releasing random tracks broadcasted in soundcloud.It’s not finished yet, and i feel down by the time I spend on it, I don’t see light at the end of the tunnel.

Some tracks took me up 2 days to compose, arrange, and mix. Others took me up several weeks even months. The ones i do faster are often the better imo. Don’t know why, I guess it has something to do with easiness and the way it sounds catchy.

To me, the toughest part is arrangement, composing bridges. It’s easy to get the rights sounds and right melodies but it gets more difficult when I try to link them so as it comes to and end. It’s like trying to write a story, you’ve got the right athmosphere, the rights characters, but it lacks the common thread to get the whole story. I used to make the 2/3 first minutes really well, after that it’s a pain in the ass… Anyway, I’m going to succeed, no choice!

Some tracks took me up 2 days to compose, arrange, and mix. Others took me up several weeks even months. The ones i do faster are often the better imo. Don’t know why, I guess it has something to do with easiness and the way it sounds catchy.

I can totally relate to this. The tracks that I made which where done in a very short time (like 2 days, but I worked on it the whole day) sound way better to me than the tracks that I spent more time on (not necessarily more hands on time but I took time off from work and came back later).

Depends on whether or not Mutant Breakz is running.

Yes? Probably less than a week.

No? Probably less than a year.

this leads me into a long time wish smile.gif count and save the songedit time (running renoise time with that certain song loaded).

I would love to see this feature added at some point. It shouldn’t be that difficult, right? Could even account for idle time for better accuracy.

I was asked on multiple occasions how long does it take me to finish a song, and I seriously have no clue. I usually peg it at around 20 hours, but I think that quite often it takes much longer than that.

My typical workflow is that I first try different VSTs or samples, and try to find something that sounds interesting at the moment. Once I have that first instrument and some simple melody, it sets the tone for the whole song. (This also implies that I usually have no prior plan of what the song is going to be - I might have a very general idea like EDM, or guitar, or orchestral instruments, but that’s usually the extend of my planning when I sit down to compose something). The next step is usually percussions. Then some fillers and baseline. My goal is to have approximately 20 seconds of “finished” music first. Once I have that, then I try to go from there and evolve the song in some interesting ways. I can go way off course with this, though. For example, in the music I’m working on these days, I went from EDM to an orchestral part somehow. Things like that seriously increase the time I spend on my songs, since I basically have to compose two different tunes. So I guess my composing time varies greatly depending on how many different melodies/themes I have in my song. I usually go for lots of varieties - I seldom repeat any parts of my song at all. I would be hard pressed to find a song where the same pattern plays twice.

Once I have the song almost ready, that’s when I compose the beginning and end of it. Actually, the beginning of the song is what I usually compose last. It sounds counterintuitive, but I find that it makes the beginning sound more relevant to what the rest of the song is, once I know what the rest of the song sounds like.

Once the song is “ready”, I usually give it a day or two break, and then come back to listen to it. I quite often find that many transitions are incorrect - i.e. occur too early, too late, are too short or too long, or simply don’t sound good for whatever reason that I can’t quite put my finger on “why”. And so the process of re-doing things start, and it can take days or even weeks to truly finish. Sometimes, I start hating the song at some point. I feel like nothing fits anymore. And I abandon it for weeks or months (in some cases years) only to listen to it again at some point and love it again. It’s weird :slight_smile:

Based on my experience, the main time waster happens when you start trying out various instruments and/or very slight changes in melody of a fragment that already sounds good. If you have lots of instruments, you can start getting down the rabbit hole that will take hours, and all you will achieve is more and more slightly different variations that sound almost the same, but you get completely paralyzed with them and are unable to make a decision of which version to keep. I had lots of situations like this, when I would lose 2 - 3 hours only to go back to what was there to begin with. This can get frustrating when you realize you have just lost a few hours for nothing.

As for the whole process of composing and evolving a tune, I always compose something that I love myself. It unfortunately makes my songs quite difficult to listen to for other people. I never compose for the audience. I guess that’s the best part of doing this as pure hobby. I don’t need to adhere to any standards, good practices, current fads, etc. My music is always 100% mine, and I actually truly love all my songs (those that I finish). When you listen to somebody else’s song that you love, you keep repeating it many times and it almost feels like taking drugs every time you listen to it - you feel so good when it plays that you just can’t stop playing it. If you ever found a song like that, then you know how I feel when I compose something. I always look for that combination of instrument and melody that will trigger this kind of response in my brain. I don’t know the exact recipe to achieve that, so my composing is quite often a sort of brute-force approach, where I keep trying different instruments and melodies blindly until it “feels right”. This is probably not the “right” approach that they teach in music schools, though :wink: And it makes it really hard for me to say how long it takes to compose a music.

Hence, I would love it if Renoise would keep track of how long I work on various songs. I’m really curious to know!

Back when I used other programs, I could compose and rough mix a song in a day or in a few months. Really just depends on how lucky I am that day, sometimes the brain works and everything just pops into place on the first go. Other times nothing works for ages until I go through old projects and just have a burst of inspiration.

One day I had to pick someone up somewhere, I spent 2 hours waiting just to be told they were already picked up. I got home and banged out 2 tracks after fiddling with a patch and some chord progs on an outboard synth. Another day I spent hours making one patch, made a melody and a drum beat and wasn’t able to complete it despite working on it for weeks until 4 months later when I made another patch and remembered the old one and thought they would go well together… Then again I don’t think I ever completed the arrangement on that…

/to the archives I go, dammit…

It usually takes about a week for me. I try to get in a couple hours after I get off of work. I also like to step back if I’m not feeling the song and come back with some fresh ears after a day or two, that usually helps a ton!

So that music where “I went from EDM to an orchestral part somehow” that I mentioned in my long post above is now ready, and I believe it took me 30 hours all in all. But it might as well have been more than that. It is really difficult to track how much time you spend on a music when you work few hours here and few hours there in evenings and weekends. While I was composing it, I actually produced quite a lot of material that I didn’t use. I could easily use it in another music without much extra work (although I most likely won’t :wink: ). So I think that if you are really trying to focus on producing lots of music quickly, you should be able to re-use some parts that you made, but didn’t use while composing your previous songs. Just a thought.

You can check it here:http://soundcloud.com/cadence-2/programming-in-sound

composition and editing projects are NEVER completed. They are ABANDONED.

Agree completely.

Personally, I think this is true for art and music. I think there comes a point in the creative process that I have to commit to finalizing it to move forward.

Particularly when i listen to old tracks i made, i do often find myself battling with the impulse to rework them. I try to resist that urge and if it persists, I remix instead of editing.

Takes me probably 20 hours.