How To Activate Filter2 (ringmod/distortion) In Renoise 2.0

Yeah I most def. agree that they should bring back the past plugins. I likes alot of them. Filter 2 was cool with the distortion filters and I miss the Ringmod’s…hrmmmm…anyway of putting a legacy plugin pack on Renoise 2? it would be sweet. I have a feeling the new Scream Filter would sound badass with the old filter 2 distortion filter settings!

Haha, the copy and paste code thing works great

Shame these plugs are not included in the FX list as standard…

Seems odd they were removed…

yeh, but it’s a bit stupid to paste them each time you want them…

ring mod was very good, sample drawing and filtering with few ringmods i was able to make some fm sythesis samples, and also moog mode filters did that squeeek thing, it resonated and whisle, sounded kind of analog…

we want just able to unhide those old filters, they can be hioden by defoult but when right clicked and pressed on unhide hiden device you could get those old ones too…

it would be alright if all features (ringmod, moog mode lp, hp, etc…) was moved to screem filter, but only distort features was moved, so there is reason…

i agree… i think Filter2 should return in the list.

The Moog is in the Filter3 but wont kill your ears when resonating, so only the RingMod is left. As said before: we’ll try to make a dedicated device with more option for this if that fits somehow into the 2.0 timeline…

waiting forward for “super advanced ringmod” :)

i gues it is hopeless to ask you to add feature tha could unhide old efects… :(

just one thing, please never remove the code of old plugins from the renoise, i will get used to copy paste xml codes of them…

I think that having more than one device for each effect sucks. I also don’t like having two integrated reverbs and 5 and 10 band eq - it would be IMO better to have just one of each, but more powerful.

Anyway, IMO it’s good that old depreciated devices are hidden for good. Of course I have nothing against them being available via XML. I think that’s actually pretty cool way of accessing legacy items, which still have to be in there for compatibility reasons.

But definitely replace the missing functionality (ringmod) with something new, even better than the old hidden version.

if i made a lot of music using an alesis quadraverb and one day i walked into my studio to find that it had been hidden and replaced with an alesis midiverb IV i think i would be pretty pissed off . or if someone swapped my korg ms20 for a korg ms2000 for that matter …

please dont hide or make unavailable the old FX . if we think of the software as a virtual studio for serious musicians who value the sound and nuances of certain FX and pieces of technology then we should continue to be able to access these FX .

as a pro electronic musician and sound designer i need to be able to access certain sounds that i like to use as easily as possible . i would prefer not to have to boot 1.9 along side 2.0 for a live set just to keep the sound of the old mods i created .

renoise 2 is an incredible piece of software at an incredible price, please make additions to it without subtractions .

thanks .

i have actually been able to reconstruct the sound of some of the sounds from filter 2,and made presets for the new devices of them,so it is possible to get the same sound without the "older"fx :D

You got this wrong. The old FX are not gone they are just now shown anymore. Old songs will of course load/use the old versions of the FX. We do remove old FX if we do backwards incompatible fixes or upgrade them in a “good way”…

I thought of an option in the preferences, which really enforces a user to make a decision about deprecated DSPs. “Show deprecated devices in DSP-List” might signal the new user “Hey, do you really want this geeky stuff?” And the older users just don’t have to wonder what they can expect from this option. Maybe this is comparable to some advanced options in other programs, maybe not.

Fun to do the copy/paste xml thing from a txt a couple of times, but that gets annoying real fast…

I now saved a template with filter-2 loaded on some channels, so I can copy paste it from those channels without having to leave the renoise interface for a txt file :P… Works most of the time, up until the project gets crowded with lots of channels and fx. Makes searching for an filter-2 instance somewhere a pain as well.

That said, I like the soft/sweet sound of filter-3, but I really love the filter-2 moog lp over the available filter-3 modes in a lot of cases. A lot of EE sound is based on filter-2 moog lp and actually I can’t write down ideas into renoise without it :P.

Of course I like the choice of now having 2 great filters to choose from, but yes. I wish for a preference option to unhide a specific old plugin too.

I’m going to get a tattoo of that someday.

Hm is it possible to make filter1 and filter2 available in the fx list?

Clipboard paste -> put in a doofer -> save as doofer preset | put doofer where you want the fx -> move fx out of doofer -> delete doofer.

Hah OopsIFly, I was just about to post that! :slight_smile:

Here’s a zip with all the Doofer presets, to save everyone some more time copy/pasting:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea9xawoegasqnds/Derpricated-Doofers.zip?dl=0

Just unzip into ~/.renoise/V3.0.0/User Effect Presets/Doofer and restart Renoise, they should all be there. I prefixed the names with an _underscore, so they will all appear next to eachother in the Doofer preset list. (That folder is for Linux, obviously. I don’t know where the equivalent folders are for Win/Mac, people need to figure that out themselves)

… now to check out how these mythical legendary effects sound!

Edit: Turns out someone had the same thought and put the Doofer presets in the Downloads section: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/43405-doofers-legacy-effects/ – Just putting the link here for posterity, in case my Dropbox link stops working some day (they break when you reorganize folders, which I don’t plan to, but when I do, I’ll have forgotten about this post :P)

Clipboard paste → put in a doofer → save as doofer preset | put doofer where you want the fx → move fx out of doofer → delete doofer.

Ah cool idea :slight_smile:

Hah OopsIFly, I was just about to post that! :slight_smile:

Here’s a zip with all the Doofer presets, to save everyone some more time copy/pasting:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea9xawoegasqnds/Derpricated-Doofers.zip?dl=0

Just unzip into ~/.renoise/V3.0.0/User Effect Presets/Doofer and restart Renoise, they should all be there. I prefixed the names with an _underscore, so they will all appear next to eachother in the Doofer preset list. (That folder is for Linux, obviously. I don’t know where the equivalent folders are for Win/Mac, people need to figure that out themselves)

… now to check out how these mythical legendary effects sound!

Edit: Turns out someone had the same thought and put the Doofer presets in the Downloads section: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/43405-doofers-legacy-effects/ – Just putting the link here for posterity, in case my Dropbox link stops working some day (they break when you reorganize folders, which I don’t plan to, but when I do, I’ll have forgotten about this post :P)

For Mac, you’ll want to put these in /Users/xxxxxxxxx/Library/Preferences/Renoise/V3.0.1/User Effect Presets/Doofer

If you haven’t created a preset, you may find the directory doesn’t exist. Either save a preset or create teh directory tree.

Thx for whoever put this together…wicked…(and I learned something I didn’t know about renoise in the process)

This : http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/148-legacy-effects/