How To Create 3D Sounds

You could try to check the wayback internet archive so see if you can bring back these pages…
Or else ask Christian Budde himself, he can answer this the best. I only write here what is still vaguely dangling somewhere on the back of my mind.

I recently started dsp classes on convolution and because I remembered you mentioning this before, I asked the teacher if I could (theoretically) use the algorithms in my own tool and distribute it without problems. He said something like, the technology is used in anything and its mama :) and I shouldn’t worry about it.

Thinking about trying incorporating this for my first lua tool for class asignment, but it’ll probably end up in a max tool as this is much easier for me.

Thnx for the heads up, totally forgot about that thread :) , will forward the link and see what my dsp teacher thinks about it.

um thanks for the references, but which one is the newest? the official site download has a PDF with version 1.0 on the first page, while the other link says version 1.10.

The official site has the latest. 1.1.0 should be the latest.

You don’t need plugins. This is an engineering 101 trick.

Make 2 copies of the sound you want to place. Pan 1 hard left and the other hard right. Flip the phase on one and offset the delay on it by up to 50ms. That offset will place your sound in between your ears right where you want it.

that’s pseudo stereo, which is cool. the original poster was inquiring about HRTF or binaural effects. it’s very very different from simple stereo effects. it’s an attempt to play with signals in a way that mimics how human hearing works (we have two ears only but we perceive sounds from all directions by way of several associated physiological & psychoacoustic issues… distance between ears, outer ear shapes, density of body materials, etc etc). look up “binaural” on google :)

for “a simple studio trick” to do vague binaural-ish recording, you can position two omni microphones back to back (diaphragms facing outward away from each other), ensure the diaphragms are the same distance apart from each other as typical human ears, hard pan the mic inputs on the recorder to left and right, & record stuff by moving the sound source, not the mics… it’s not really binaural, & it’s not signal processing (which the OP was asking for) but it does give some really good ambience that can feel very real depending on type of mic … especially when listening thru headphones.

if I could, I’d record everything that way, but I don’t have a matched pair of pro mics, just cheap crap & two unmatched pro mics (still sounds great but large diaphragm mics are hard to set up in the “studio trick” I described due to shape, pick-up patterns and shock mounts… thin mics like rode/sure unidirectionals are better for this trick than, say, a Neumann (?) TLM or m-audio Sputnik (nice mid-pro mics I’ve had the pleasure to work with).

a much simpler but lower frequency response method is to use a pair of reverse mounted ear buds as microphones. some manufacturers actually make binaural mics in this style so your own head becomes part of the engineering of the recording ;)

http://soundcloud.com/dysamoria/dysamoria-singularity-formerly-titled-no-one-loves-anyone-else

is an example of the technique I mentioned above (the rain & thunder ambiance was recorded on a portable minidisc unit by two radioshack “Realistic” mics bound together so their diaphragms point opposite each other to mimic the human ears… badly, hah hah). it sounds neat enough :)

Pretty awesome tune you’ve got there!

wow, thanks! :) i’m not used to people ever listening, even people i know in person :o