How To Create A Darkstep/Techstep/Skullstep Reese Bass

So what? I think we just agreed that there is more than 1 way to Rome and tutorials can be considered ‘shortcuts’ …? :confused: That video alone won’t get you very far, now will it?

the basics are already very big these days, i think i know the basics too but my biggest problem was to get the whole thing into my tunes. this is what i practice since the last few weeks, something you already can ;)
actually im working on a drum&bass EP trying to get intressting bass sounds, this is why i said to byte "be creative". sometimes something sounds like a bass done with a synth but it isnt.
i`ve created some midrange basses out of human voices for example and they are very close to what byte is looking for. this is also the reason why i get tired of all these tutorials.

edit: here is a very small example [voice bass](http://www.braintwister-music.de/voice bass.wav)

Methinks you’re misunderstanding :rolleyes:

And I who thought that all those weird sounding bassblurps were made with synths per accident. As an eyeopener, nice one!

Uhm, I’m thinking exactly the same… Feel like you’re missing a very important point here :P

Well lets see… I’ve been messing with synthesis and sound design for years… and you’re trying to tell me that I need to get into synthesis and sound design. No, I don’t think I’m missing any points.

hmm, then i don`t understand the whole topic. why are we talking about basics if you already know these ? and why the hell are you watching these basic tutorials ?
and why do you ignore the tips we give you ?

sorry im out of this discussion, cant follow you anymore ;)

Well let’s see… since you did not mention that, and your question suggest otherwise… so yeah I thought you were. And uhm… not to be an asshole or anything, but if you just found out how to set up a reese, it’s not really making the impression you’ve been into sounddesign for years.

The point is that the sound I’m looking for is different than anything I’ve been able to synthesize on my own… and I was trying to figure out how they did it. It hadn’t occurred to me to use a comb filter previously, and now that I’ve seen that tutorial, it makes sense that they’d be using such a filter. Just because you think that knowing the basics of synthesis can get you any sound, doesn’t make it so. There’s much more to synthesis than knowing how to tune waveforms and use basic filters and distortion. It’s plain to me that you and BotB are the ones that are limiting your experience by presuming you can get any sounds from these methods… when plainly you can’t… that vocal sample you gave, although close, was very thin and lifeless compared to the shit I want. There’s a world of techniques out there that you’d never think of on your own, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with relying on outside ideas to come to them. This is how progress happens in almost any field, music included.

END OF BLOODY POINTLESS DISCUSSION.

Everyone knows how to set up a reese. If you were paying attention, I was looking for a SPECIFIC TYPE of nonstandard reese.

I’ve updated the first post in the thread so there’s no more fucking confusion over my intentions.

Excuse me? When plainly, you CAN, idiot! You just don’t know how! Don’t take your own ignorance out on me and Kasmo, please! :) What did you expect? Kasmo and me were trying to help you and you’re treating US as idiots?! Besides, another point you are missing is MIXING SKILLZ BWOI, because that’s 50% of the impact of a sound in a track. Just take that SPOR track you posted for example. Guy KNOWS his compression better than we know our own cocks.

Hence why I’ve said again and again and again I want to be able to automate the frequency of EQ5/EQ10 to make my own comb filters and automate them with Hydras!

Am actually going to have a look at these tutorials now as they sound like they might be quite interesting. Have to admit that I have personally struggled getting a standard Reese that I have been happy with its weight when building from scratch though.

yes ofcause it was thin, but you know that special sounds get there life from what happens around them ?
hope you find what you are looking for ;)

Again, if you’d read what I just posted carefully, you’d see that I was referring to using standard filters like the ones in Renoise… which can’t create the same sounds as a comb filter.

That’s a huge presumption. If there’s one thing I’ve found in sound design, it’s that the things people think they know are often wrong, which is why they can never get the sound they’re striving to get. They focus on all the wrong shit… like compression… instead of learning each one of their tools inside/out… and using nonstandard tools instead of the same crap everyone always uses. I highly doubt that Spor gets his signature sound from a compressor… that’s just ignorance.

lol byte :)

the compression thing was just one example! you are realy on the wrong way if you think there is something magical behind all these sounds.
but go in this direction, you will come back soon, that`s for sure ;)

Not wishing to involve myself in the preceeding argument, but a comb filter is basically a delay-based effect, so you could probably achieve similar results using very short delay / flanger with high feedback settings automated to vary periodically and compliment the melody / bassline, etc.

Your arguments is that I shouldn’t assume, but all the same you assume that my synthesis is 100% Renoise? Here, a trophy for you :) Other than that… This discussion is indeed pointless and has nothing to do with making music, so I’m quitting right here and now.

Good luck in your quest! I sincerely hope you’ll find what you’re looking for!

Where on earth are you getting this from? WHERE did I say ANYTHING about there being something magical behind making such sounds? I simply said that often times people use nonstandard synthesis to produce sounds. BotB’s the one that presumed that Spor had some sort of magical mastery over compressors that allowed him to have such a sound… not I.

Do your goddamn homework, I said SPOR knows his compression better than we know our cocks and mixing properly is 50% of a sound’s impact in a track. If YOU think that is a magical trick, than that’s YOUR failure, not mine.

byte, here you say that there is something we don`t know about. sounds very magical to me!