How to create a manual duck delay in Renoise?

Hey Renoisers,

I wanna create a special type of delay called duck delay with a custom assigned volume automation and I need your help.

If you don’t know what a duck delay is then here is a good example in this track:

Time: 1m 45s

A duck delay ducks the wet signal for as long as the dry signal is playing in accordance to its volume.
In the track above you can hear that only the last bit of the dialogue is delayed, not the whole sample.
Now some of you will say that there are special delay plugins on the market that have this feature. That’s correct and I have used some of these plugins but I don’t always like the way they duck the signal.

This is why I wanna create my own duck delay in Renoise using automation on the ‘Send’ parameter of the Delay dsp. However, I want the automation to happen in the instrument itself where it automatically resets with every key stroke so I can play the sample from everywhere in the pattern editor. I know it’s possible to do this with LFO and Key Tracker device but I fail to program this particular type of automation.

Does anyone know what I mean and can help out?

Make a send channel e.g. S02 or just use S01, add a Send effect to the track routed to the new send channel and use Keep Source so it splits the signal.

Put a delay effect on the new send channel, turn on Mute Src so it doesn’t play the original audio.

You could use a a signal follower to the channel that’s sending the audio, set it to control the mixer->volume of the send channel, minimum = 0db, maximum = -inf db. But that will then have the whole audio in there not just the end part of the phrase, which may or may not be the effect your after. That’s not the delay in the track you posted.

I would just create an automation envelope that blips the send volume right at the part you want to send to the delay, and just time it right so it hits the last part of the phrase. that way you can fully control when and how much to send to the delay.

you could also do both so it mutes the delay channel while any other sample is playing in the main track .

made a quick example track for you… it has both. just disable the signal follower and set the S01 volume manually if you just want it to trigger with automation.example-send-bus-delay.xrns (836.9 KB)

Cheers man but I know how this works with send channels. I wanna do this however the way I described in my post.

You can use the signal follower placed before delay and target the wet amount of the delay. If you want to use the LFO instead, set it to one shot mode, then put a key follower before and set both sliders to 0 (as far as I remember), and target the reset of the lfo device. Using the LFO of course the ducking won’t individually react on different sound/note lengths/volume.

Using the signal follower would probably be the most technically accurate way but in my case an automation curve would be sufficient. I just need it to automatically reset with every key stroke. How do I do that?

op:
channel 1: voice sample > signal follower(route to gainer on send 1, and set as sidechain, inverse volume parameters etc) > send to send 1
send 1 : delay(all wet), > gainer

and you’ve got your problem solved
(for me this is the easiest yet most convenient solution)

to reset, assign to lfo reset whichever trigger you would like to trigger that…

Yeah you can do it with a signal follower and a send. It also has the advantage that you can put effects on the delay that only manipulate the wet signal.

You can also use the signal follower to control a gainer that is routed BEFORE the delay, the delay being all wet with mute dry signal. Then you can control which sounds to “feed” into the delay, and those will sound on when the sound is playing again. Great for dub stuff…

1 Like

You use the key follower/key tracker instead the signal follower, it will trigger on every new (midi-)note, triggering the reset of the LFO, like described above. Set Dest min and max to 0 (so both to 0), select the full note range C-0 to B-9, and then target the LFO reset.

lforesettrigger.xrns (4.0 KB)

1 Like