How To Create A Really Loud Sound

Q: What do you do, when you need that snare or kick drum to become louder?

A1: Normalize the sample (bring the volume to the maximum level without distortion)
A2: Duplicate the sample. Renoise will then play the sample twice as loud
A3: Turn up the track volume by use of a gainer

It’s not always possible to (A1) - the sample might already be at it’s top level. Also, (A3) might have some side effects if other sounds are used in the same track, etc… Which leaves us with (A2), which also happen to be an age-old tracker trick: simply copy/paste the note column for instant (sample)volume gratification :: and beware of blown speakers ::

:yeah:

maximizer?
limiter?
compressor? (though it might change the sound)

to prevent clipping, put a maximizer on your master with no boost, and maximum threshold… the slower the release, the louder it will seem like the loud sound was. PSYCHOACOUSTICS FTW

1 Like

Agreed. Even though I meant a loud sound in the literal sense, if your speakers are precious to you, messing around with dynamics is the obvious next step after having created an impossibly loud signal with the duplicate sample trick :ph34r:

How about increasing the sample volume? :rolleyes:

Won’t work if the sound is already as loud as possible, normalized/maximized volume and all.
The same goes for a compressor or gainer - it can’t pinpoint individual sounds.

Here’s a very basic example to demonstrate
http://oscillity.net/renoise/modules/Triple%20volume.xrns

In the first pattern, the bassdrum is playing a at full volume
In the second pattern, the deep kick part of the bassdrum volume is tripled.
I’ve added a huge big reverb which drown everything and avoid blow speakers :walkman:

Instrument Settings → Sample Properties → Amplify… ?

But wait just a second… so this means i can duplicate a kickdrum a million times and when I press play I will set off a nuclear bomb and blow up my speakers? ever heard of the digital zero?

…simply doubling samples wont make the sound louder in all infinity since they also modulate each other. Eventually the sound will hit the ceiling and clip/distort.

just turn down every other tracks’ volumes and push up the main volume.

Just turn up your amplifier… Why would you want a really loud sound anyway? :)

if you want your 0db to sound louder than your previous 0db:
get a maximizer / limiter on the master, set the ceiling to 0db and crank the shit out of the threshold.

if you want your sound to be louder coming from your speakers:
insert what maskin said

adding and multipying samples on several tracks is seriously silly btw.
all you do is creating redundancy which is absolutely superflous.

Took me a while to get out of this habit when moving from FT2

Hehe :) Well, I never said it was “best practice”. Quite the opposite, actually. OK. So, it’s a bit of a controversial trick, which has it’s uses for lazy-ass composers like me, who don’t really mind that my patterns become a bit messy… But it just saved me from having to adjust the levels of 15 individual samples :slight_smile:

Gainers and Maximizers = pwnage. I always use them over doubling up samples.

I only use gainers to lower the volume of a track. :D

really (no offence mate) “smart”… especially when you may simply move volume slider from mixer

I know, haha! :P
I like to lower the volume at the end of the DSP chain for some reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

The Loudness War is all about reducing dynamic range… which is the opposite of what this thread is discussing.

I employ the technique hereas well

Thanks for clearing that up. Dynamics FTW :)