How To Delete A Whole Note Cell?

Since I’m using a midi keyboard these days, most of the time I want to delete both note and velocity. But the only option I can find that does it(Delete current row in column), also move any rows below in the column upwards. Is there any way to get my desired functionality (in 2.5 currently)?

ctrl + b and then ctrl + e and ctrl + x should delete all that (am at work so i can’t check it) IF the mask in advance edit has velocity and note checked. (mnemonics: b for begin and e for end)

didn’t know about ctrl + b & ctrl + e for the longest time… very nice for selecting areas with the keyb imo.

ofc: you can do as you do now: backspace and then insert if it’s ok to delete all notes on that row.

I was hoping to do this with one command, preferably set to the del key, and set the standard del behaviour to shift+del for whenever I want to keep the velocity data.

ctrl+b/ctrl+e/ctrl+x is almost as much work as pressing del, moving cursor and pressing del again.

The best option I have figured so far is remapping control+shift+del and control+shift+insert to control+shift+x and control+shift+s, that way I can use them with one hand, keeping the other one on the midi keyboard. But still, that doesn’t work with edit-step, like normal delete… which is kinda useful. :(

I guess it is something for the suggestion box then? As the option I’m looking for simply doesn’t exist, right?

there is a shortcut called “Delete whole row” (should be LALT+Del) which deletes everything in a row of a track.

I don’t think there is something which does that for a single column, but if you don’t have more than one column per track and you don’t mind deleting command columns also, then you can use “Delete whole row”.

“Delete whole row in column” could be a good candidate for a script

A script option would be super!

Deleting the whole row is fine sometimes, but most of the times I find I want to be able to delete only one note(column). Especially when sequencing a drum machine, where I use several columns, but not in a “chord” sense.

isn’t it a bit backwards anyway?

normally if you go to a pattern editor cell and press delete then you want it all gone. if you want to keep the velocity, delay and pan values but you want a different note then you simply put in that new note you want or?

i’d say that velocity, pan and delay values are pretty useless without a note, kinda. :P

Yes, this has and still do annoy the ***** out of me.
Since it takes so much of the fun out of using the computer keyboard with Renoise :(
I never want to keep those values when I delete a note since they belong to the note.
Pressing DEL keeps the volume etc giving you lots of extra work having to navigate to those and delete them too.

function clear_selected_note_column()  
 renoise.song().selected_note_column:clear()  
end  

renoise.tool():add_keybinding {  
 name = "Pattern Editor:Tools:Delete Current Note (Override)",  
 invoke = function()  
 clear_selected_note_column()  
 end  
}  

Man that is awesome.

I made a modification to move the cursor down {editstep} lines each time you delete:

local song = renoise.song()  
 song.selected_note_column:clear()  
 local new_pos = song.transport.edit_pos  
 local max_line = song.selected_pattern.number_of_lines  
 new_pos.line = new_pos.line + song.transport.edit_step  
 if (new_pos.line > max_line) then  
 new_pos.line = max_line  
 end  
 song.transport.playback_pos = new_pos  
 song.transport.edit_pos = new_pos  
end  

invoke = function()  
 end  
}  

I noticed that key-repeat doesn’t apply for this keybinding.
Is there a way to make sure holding down “Del” (or your choice of key) auto-repeats?

Nice!

With auto-repeat I’d get exactly what I wanted.

Auto-repeat is available in 2.6 B7.

Anyone want to post code that takes advantage of it?

Fucking hell that’s quick feature turnaround! :D

EDIT: and implementation was dead simple, great work team Renoise.

local song = renoise.song()  
 song.selected_note_column:clear()  
 local new_pos = song.transport.edit_pos  
 local max_line = song.selected_pattern.number_of_lines  
 new_pos.line = new_pos.line + song.transport.edit_step  
 if (new_pos.line > max_line) then  
 new_pos.line = max_line  
 end  
 song.transport.playback_pos = new_pos  
 song.transport.edit_pos = new_pos  
end  

repeated = true, -- only line added  
 invoke = function()  
 end  
}  

should be:

invoke = function(repeated)  
 -- if (not repeated) to ignore key repeats   
 end  
}  

You’re ignoring the “repeated” argument, so this doesn’t make a difference here. Just wanted to point this out for other, new tools…

Thanks for that correction.

So does this mean all keyboard bindings for older tools now auto-repeat automatically too? Or only if their invoke function is written to accept the repeated argument? (I don’t remember reading that this was one of the backward-compatibility breakers.)