How To Make A Jungle/dnb Bass Sound

I understand what your saying Kasmo and KBubble I agree with your point. But I still want to know how they made they sounds because its still awesome. Just so I can grow from that and gain some knowledge, although I will never go to music school.

So far I played with some sythns like Synth1( free vst). Mixed a sine wave and white noise together. Synced both oscilators and played around with filter and got some interesting results. After I sampled it I went to sample editor and slide the loop nodes closer together to get some different sounds. Its all about experimenting.

EDIT:
Heres a nice tutorial I found by xample and Lomax. Starting with drums then the bass. While I think probably the whole process of making a track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgN8SxpXkGQā€¦feature=related

whats the difference between jungle and dnb?

there is actually no differences. back then jungle was categorized in jumpup, techstep and all that stuffā€¦ d&b came from logical d&b like ltj bukem and his crew / labels. but in generall there is no difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum%26bass#Jā€¦_Drum_and_Bass

Saying there is no difference is insane. If you ā€œgrew upā€ on Jungle from the early 90s and saw it morph into 2step and thought that was a logical progression, you have serious problems. That political shift in the scene, ā€œshall we dress up in scene regalia and imagine thingsā€ vs ā€œshall we jump up and downā€ was a Big Deal, and a big part of what caused idm and breakcore to evolve.

I have this debate on a bi-monthly basis with Psychofreud, who (if iā€™m not mistaken) believes d&b still has the jazz element to it, while to me the jazz of jungle died altogether when it boiled down to 2step with a bassline.

Itā€™s so god damn weird. Itā€™s like today d&b producers get props for having variation in their songs. If Jungle IS d&b; back in the day it was all ABOUT variation.

What you can trace is a line from jungle, which was bass heavy lo-fi rave music, to 2step drum&bass, which retained the bass but couldnā€™t REALLY be arsed with the drums, until dubstep today, which isnā€™t even about dancing anymore, just about vibrating air, and certainly not about improv jazz drums. Thereā€™s certainly a traceable lineage, but to say drum&bass IS jungle is something i will get furious about any day of the weak.

Well spoken sunjammer.

sunjammer

i grew up with all of themā€¦ starting with breakbeats which from there morphed into
some directions, one of them was jungle.
(kniteforce 22 or so ā€¦ a blue 7inch onesided vinyl, is already jungle with
raeggae vocals!!)

but i never thought or say that jungle changed to 2step. thatā€™s stupid.
for me 2step came from somewhere elseā€¦

if you mean the poor beat programing in early d&b songs as 2step, ok.
but for me these 2 styles donā€™t have anything in common!!

anyways. jungle wasnā€™t really d&b and verse visa. but itā€™s the same idea,
coming out of the same country with the same speedā€¦ it has the same rootsā€¦

jungle was more concentrated on beat variations or even sick beat raping
and low heavy subbasses. true that. but then there also was ltj and his
crew. whats that if not as they say, logical d&b? it doesnā€™t ahve the usual
2step beat stuffā€¦ even also variations and alot of jazz elements here and
there. i donā€™t want to discuss this all the way out, i also still call myself
a junglist and also use the word jungle more than d&b. but i have
to stick with the time. newschoolers donā€™t know the hell about jungle
but they sure know d&b and think original nattah is d&b ā€¦ ;)

this discussion is stupid ā€¦ for me jungle / d&b is the same stuff.
just with tons of subcategories which make me sick!!

dubstep is the new stuff atm ā€¦ very easy but still head noddin. i like it :)

meh, discussing genres is is a waste of time. Either make new music or listen to some good shit! Like this new Rephlex release that has jungly rhythms and basses :wink:

http://www.rephlex.com/releases/view/130/Mā€¦ink/CAT%20209-P

Hi,

Iā€™m also a lover of those wobbly bass sounds.
I personally think itā€™s an Art to create those sounds.

The secret ingredients are:

• A good square/saw wave synth with fruity analogue filters and unison capability
  • filter LFO automation and ADSR Envelopes (filter can be LP or BP, or BR). This is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: DnB sounds only good when the filter are automated. This produces the wobbly sound and the morph feeling.
  • Analogue Tape Distortion/saturation/analogue tube and phase FX (for reece-like sounds, use also saw waves)
  • more filters with movement
  • further filters and so on
  • more fx
  • slight reverb at the end of dsp chain

Iā€™m not sure if it will work with your bass (at least give it a try), use a synth instead

One of the best synths for reece and hard DnB sound is Thor (part of Reason)
Good synth for DnB is also Predator by Rob Papen
Good synth are also zeta3+, sylenth, ACE/Zebra2.5 from U-he
Good filters: Soundtoys fatboy, Oligarc, UAD Moog Filter Emulation, U-he Runciter
Good distortion: Ohmboys stuff, Devastor, Decimort, Izotope Thrash

If you donā€™t have money you can start with free loopmasters samples and some filters instead.
Also check youtube. It conatins worthwile lessons

I made a DnB like song called ā€œSpace Walkā€ for SDCompo Competition by using very limited resources (only samples and Renoise native fx).
Maybe this song can give you some more ideas. The wobble there is based on a simple square loop

http://www.sdcompo.com/entry.php?e=585

iā€™ve heard really a shitload of jungle/d&b tracks ā€¦ i actually dislike all these ā€˜subgenreā€™ names ā€¦ d&b and thats it. jungle had more raggae/dancehall elementsā€¦

but in general it was about the fast drums and the massive subbasses ā€¦ drum + bass ā€¦ drum and bass ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

oh, and i found your post when i was googlin the net to see where my music is floatin around. on which sites n stuff ā€¦ :smiley:

My little 5 cents - try out the SERUM vsti, itā€™s cheap, sound solid and suits perfect for modern dā€™nā€™b production.

I made very good classic style reece basses with the MorphSynth tool. Itā€™s perfect for such kind of basses.

but then there also was ltj and his crew. whats that if not as they say, logical d&b?

They call it ā€œintelligentā€

i also still call myself a junglist and also use the word jungle more than d&b

The difference bettwen both is: jungle is the olscoolish one made with the classical sampled funk & soul breaks like amen, apache, think, etc, mostly 808 style basses, sometimes some jazzy elements, influences of reggae, and MCā€™s.

Drum & bass is more the modern style. With heavy kicks & snares, lots of massive distorted basses and leads, often influenced by electro house, dubstep, techno, etcā€¦

i also still call myself a junglist

Junglists are the real d&b people. The others are just copycats and fare dodgers. :badteeth:

Hi there, links in this trhead are no more available, is it possible to get a refresh ? thanks ! long life to Jungle & D&B :wink:

Hereā€™s a classic Reese style subbass i made some years ago. Itā€™s very similar to the bass used in Ray Keithā€™s track Terrorist.

Classic Reese Bass.xrni (280.1 KB)

1 Like