how to make recordings sound (more) like vinyl samples..?

Hey folks,

not a renoise question, but maybe someone with experience can help. I’ve been recording own instruments for a while, in order to use them as sampling material (drums, percussion, rhodes, bass, grand piano, guitar etc). I usually mix, equalize, compress, put some saturation on it etc.

However, no matter what I do, I can’t get the same sonics like I would from sampling vinyl… the “scratchy”, dusty factor which gives so much punch and crispness to the samples. I don’t even literally mean the “dusty” crackles, just the quality of the music/sound. I try recording through tube amps, try saturating in the DAW, lately been trying to record on audio cassette and overdrive/saturate that a little, but the samples off vinyl always sound more “crushy”, without sounding harsh.

Maybe someone of you went through similar pains and found a solution? Aphex Exciter? Reel to reel? Boosting highs? Distortion units? Clipping? What’s the magic?

How about recording ‘silence’ from the record player and add it to your track? Maybe use it as an IR with the convolver can work?

I wonder if resampling the song up a few notes and then down again could give you some similar qualities? Slight variations in the speed of the song?

How about recording ‘silence’ from the record player and add it to your track? Maybe use it as an IR with the convolver can work?

well im not really after the crackles or groove sounds, but really after what the vinyl distortion does to snares, kicks, hihats etc. like how the needle will distort if a sound is really transient (prominently heard in loud vocal sibilants…)

my experiments so far are described in this blog entry, but id really like to get to the crushy vinyl sound as a color option and wonder whether its a matter of material (tape, reel 2 reel) or distortion units. could be digital, analog, whatever.

there’s some recordings you can listen to (no processing at all)

https://breaksberlin.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/the-recording-of-drumtape-b/

well im not really after the crackles or groove sounds, but really after what the vinyl distortion does to snares, kicks, hihats etc. like how the needle will distort if a sound is really transient (prominently heard in loud vocal sibilants…)

my experiments so far are described in this blog entry, but id really like to get to the crushy vinyl sound as a color option and wonder whether its a matter of material (tape, reel 2 reel) or distortion units. could be digital, analog, whatever.

there’s some recordings you can listen to (no processing at all)

https://breaksberlin.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/the-recording-of-drumtape-b/

But are you shure that is actually what you hear, i mean vinyl distortion? Even if you’re not after the crackles and stuff they may be in the background coloring the sound. Many slight factors of different types adds up.

Here’s an interesting FAQ on cutting grooves yourself

http://www.vinylrecorder.com/faq.html

I never understood this stuff fully until I read that one.

Bottom line: adding dust and scratches is easy, but you need a pHd in physics to make it convincing.