How to move sound both left and right, as well as, front and back

I have a 4ch output device. In renoise I can see my 2 sets of stereo outputs.
Great.
I am building an interactive media space, and wish to use tracking data, to adjust the location of specific sounds.
My plan (I believe its pretty basic) is to control for each track both is Pan and a balance between my 2 sets of stereo outputs (as my Front/Back), allowing me to rudimentary place sound withing the rect of the physical speakers.

What I am hoping is that you might have suggestions on the best way to both setup my tracks (sends vs master etc)
and, which effects I need to add to each track to help with this routing?

In the end, I would like to be able to control the Pan and Front/Back of each track via OSC.
I love Renoise, and I am sure this is possible (probably in a few ways).
If there is a better approach all together please, inform me.

Help is greatly appreciated.

This made me think of the following, for 2d xy panning of a mono sound:

1. forget the master channel (or maybe use for monitoring)

2. have two sends to the far right, one routed to output 1/2 and the other to 3/4 (dropdown on bottom of channel in the mixer tab)

3. from each channel or send that should sound in the 4 speaker setup: place two send devices, first with “keep”, the other with “mute”

4. use hydra to crossfade both sends’ amounts, this controls one axis (depth)

5. panning can be done as usual, this controls the other axis

with stereo in the game it will get interesting, for this there pops up the idea in my mind that you could “rotate” a stereo signal so it isn’t l/r but front/back, or faded like somthing in between. Like for the ultimate space one would also not use 1 reverb, but four. But this should be a bit more complicated to do with renoise that what I described above…

Hell yeah a room with speaker in each corner and a subwoofer in the middle, and music designed to take advantage of this thing… :ph34r:

Thanks, this is sort of what I had in mind… I just wasn’t sure if there was some reason (unknown to me) that I couldn’t ignore the Master.
I have only messed with Hydra for a few minutes in the past, but I suspected it would play a role here.
I suspect Mono sounds/sources would work best, but I am curious How I might take a stereo input (Reaktor synths probably) and convert to mono?

Now that I am digging in deeper… it seems there may be a number of ways to go about this.
Guess I am going to be spending sometime working thru my options.

The hydra is simple to use, just select the sends’ amount sliders into the first 2 slots, and on the second swap the values for min and max - now you have a crossfader, and it can crossfade between the front and back speaker pair if the routing is set up correctly.

To mono & pan a sound before such installation, you can first use stereo expander set to mono (if blurry, you can choose mono mix to be only l or r), and then pan l/r the mono with a gainer (and then into the two sends weighting front/back).

Thanks for the input… this has been a fun little exercise. I have 4 way fading working via OSC from Isadora now.
Used 2d pads and hydra. This provides some nice visualization via the 2d pad in the device chain.

I tried to group it into a doofer, so I could apply it to a track easily. Found out you can’t do that.

Is the easiest way to apply it, to save the device chain, and apply that to a new track?

Since OSC references the device parameters by placement/count, I found that I could be pretty consistent by adding a empty doofer to the start of each chain, as a container for any effects I wanted to add later.
this way my OSC addresses don’t get messed up by adding FX :slight_smile: