How to "Play the selected area" in another key?

I’m not a beginner, but since the rewamp of Renoise I’m missing a feature (at least I can’t find it) which was in the Sample Editor in previous versions. I wasable to change the key of a sample and THEN play the whole sample in that key!I’m still able to do this by just pushing the buttons on the keyboard of course, but this is not comfortable with long samples/whole songs*.

• Don’t ask me about this one, but I’ve always played rendered songs I’ve worked on/I’m working withback in different keys of various reasons. :wink:

The feature indeed has been removed, or perhaps, not been readded back after the engine rework.

The feature indeed has been removed, or perhaps, not been readded back after the engine rework.

That’s a shame.

Hey, I reported this issue long time ago : https://forum.renoise.com/t/please-bring-back-note-selection-in-sample-editor/41102

I still can’t understand why it was removed in the first place. It has been more than 1 year now and we’re still left with no way to do this anymore. The only way is to go back to 2.8 (yeah that’s what I did…), which is a real shame as there are a lot of new features that I’d like to use from renoise 3.0, but I just can’t because this has been part of my workflow forever.

You just can’t sell a product with a feature that people like, and delete it in the next version without giving any reason.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still passionate about Renoise and the work that has been done since the beginning, but it is just incredibly frustrating to feel like this problem has been totally ignored by the devs.

/bummed :frowning:

Complete silence can be an indicator of major “Ahh of course, that’s logical!”-moments. Meaning, hard to argue against. I could be wrong, perhaps they just want more people to vote this up or something.

Though, my experiences is that the developers often have arguments when they don’t wish to see a certain feature. Or at least I hope that’s how it works everytime and not just in some previous cases I’ve read about (better .XM import for instance). It’s ok not to recieve an answer in a week or two… But your topic was unanswered (and still is) for 6 months. That’s pretty bad.

You also have a valid point regarding features which existed when you bought the program, and getting no explanations why those were removed in updated versions. Really good point actually.

That being said, generally you still get better support around here than from the developers of Logic Pro for instance. I was wishing the old color palette back in Logic, and I didn’t get a reply at all (was using a feature request-form though but they don’t have a forum like this afaik). If they taken it into account remains unknown.

Complete silence can be an indicator of major “Ahh of course, that’s logical!”-moments. Meaning, hard to argue against. I could be wrong, perhaps they just want more people to vote this up or something.

Rather, it’s because vV has already answered your question and there are other topics already dealing with this very thing.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/list-of-feature-suggestions-for-renoise/40515

In the topic above, look up “sample prehear”, and you will see 3 different topics already asking for this very feature…

Don’t ask me about this one, but I’ve always played rendered songs I’ve worked on/I’m working withback in different keys

Wouldn’t the global instrument transpose be easier to work with here?

Sorry, had to ask :slight_smile:

Rather, it’s because vV has already answered your question and there are other topics already dealing with this very thing.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/list-of-feature-suggestions-for-renoise/40515

In the topic above, look up “sample prehear”, and you will see 3 different topics already asking for this very feature…

I was only mentioned that speeeh’s topic was unanswered.

So it has been brought up before. Perhaps someone just could link to a previous topic at least. I’m sure both me and speech tried to search for a similar topic before starting up a new one. But sometimes it isn’t easy to find a previous topic handling the same feature, when every user obviously has their own definition and using different topic headlines of the feature in question. A feature which doesn’t even exist in the current version of Renoise to begin with. :slight_smile:

I was unable to locate any statement from the devs though, but I might have missed something. Perhaps some announcement like it will be brought back or not would be kind. But I’m not expecting any announcement, which was also part of my point in my previous reply here.

Regarding Vv’s reply it was a rather neutral statement that the feature was obviously removed.

Wouldn’t the global instrument transpose be easier to work with here?

Sorry, had to ask :slight_smile:

It doesn’t work if the intention was just to playback the sample/selected area, it still play the sample in its original shape no matter what the global note of the instrument is.You still have to put it in the pattern editor and create a lot of empty patterns so it get some space to play it through… Unless you wanna hold down a key for several minutes that is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, in the other topics some other good arguments of the desired feature is presented.

Ah, I realize that global transpose of the instrument does not affect pre-hearing.

How about if we introduced an extra option in the small options panel, like this

3.0_waveform-prehear.png

[x] Prehear on Master

[] Prehear on Selected Track

[x] Apply Instr. Transpose

This would be a nice solution because it does not take up space in the waveform editor,

and would allow using keyboard shortcuts for transposing the instrument (IMOwe need those)

Ah, I realize that global transpose of the instrument does not affect pre-hearing.

How about if we introduced an extra option in the small options panel, like this

Prehear on Master

Prehear on Selected Track

This would be a nice solution because it does not take up space in the waveform editor,

and would allow using keyboard shortcuts for transposing the instrument (IMOwe need those)

That would be nifty!

Prehear on Master
Prehear on Selected Track

that’s exactly what we need :slight_smile: