How to Record MIDI From VST (Maschine)

Hi,

I am running Maschine as an AU/VST and I am able to do the following:

• record patterns inside Maschine using my laptop keyboard

• record patterns inside Maschine using the Maschine hardware

What I am trying to accomplish however is recording patterns played on my Maschine hardware to the pattern editor in Renoise. When I hit Esc and space to play and record I hear the sound coming from Maschine, but it is not recorded in the pattern editor (the way that the same notes played on my laptop keyboard are).

I have configured my sound in Maschine to Output MIDI to “Host” on Channel 1 and tried adding the Maschine MK2 Virtual Input and Maschine Controller MK2 as MIDI inputs in Renoise.

Am I doing something wrong or is Renoise not capable of recording in this way?

Thanks.

renoise can not accept midi directly from vsts

I don’t have experience with maschine but,

have you tried this? http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/1017/how-can-i-use-the-maschine-mk-1-and-mk-2-hardware-to-control-external-midi-devices-in-stand-alone-mode/

gova is right, an instrument that send midi notes to the host is not currently supported in Renoise

I have configured my sound in Maschine to Output MIDI to “Host” on Channel 1 and tried adding the Maschine MK2 Virtual Input and Maschine Controller MK2 as MIDI inputs in Renoise.

I’m not a maschine owner, but I guess you could route the internal MIDI to those virtual outputs, instead of ‘host’?

I guess that should make the notes appear in the Renoise input, just like any other MIDI.

danoise,

i don’t think i understand exactly what you are saying – even though i have a tech background, i am new to midi & music production.

in maschine there are sounds and groups (of sounds). all of the sounds in my group are sent as midi notes and besides “host” i’ve only tried the following settings (see attached screenshots).

since i don’t understand you question me routing midi is a bit of a shot in the dark right now.

gova,

the link you mentioned suggests sending midi from maschine to another piece of hardware through a cable. my sound interface does not have a midi in.

thanks!!

Renoise can not accept midi from vst directly, unless it’s sending midi to maschine-out and renoise has an instrument slot with its midi input (see midi tab) set to maschine-out*. The midi input will be recorded during playback with recording.

*alternatively use the master midi keyboard input in the renoise preferences

Renoise can not accept midi from vst directly, unless it’s sending midi to maschine-out and renoise has an instrument slot with its midi input (see midi tab) set to maschine-out*. The midi input will be recorded during playback with recording.

*alternatively use the master midi keyboard input in the renoise preferences

Hey,

I am happy to record midi onto a track other than the VST track.

I am trying to do that by:

• selecting a second instrument slot

• selecting Maschine Virtual Input or Maschine MK2 Controller as the Input Device for that instrument

• hitting space and space then esc to start recording (and pressing pads which trigger sounds in Maschine)

And no MIDI is recorded onto the track.

Is there anything else I need to do to configure the Maschine to send MIDI to an instrument slot?

Thanks.

• selecting Maschine Virtual Input or Maschine MK2 Controller as the Input Device for that instrument

That may be your issue, try setting it to output instead. If it’s not possible, use the workaround in the link I posted before in combination to a virtual midi port (try the first step inhttp://www.johanlooijenga.com/tools/12-virtual-ports.html)

That may be your issue, try setting it to output instead. If it’s not possible, use the workaround in the link I posted before in combination to a virtual midi port (try the first step inhttp://www.johanlooijenga.com/tools/12-virtual-ports.html)

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I created a new port called To Renoise in the IAC Driver device (as suggested in the link), but when I go to Renoise I do not see it (neither in the MIDI Preferences nor in the MIDI tab for a given instrument slot). The only options that I see for input are:

• Renoise MIDI-In

• Renoise OSC Device (which I installed)

I tried restarting Renoise too.

Thanks.

I don’t own a Mac, I’'m afraid I can’t help you. I don’t know why it wouldn’t show your new midi port in renoise.:frowning:

I don’t own a Mac, I’'m afraid I can’t help you. I don’t know why it wouldn’t show your new midi port in renoise. :frowning:

Cool. I appreciate your efforts.