How to : Renoise Arpegiator

This way will give you the ability to build complex arpegiation without using Midi Vst and use the power of renoise instead :P/>

You need :

Key Tracker
Instrument Automation
Lfo
A Vst instrument

Then :

Set Key Tracker on Lfo reset
Set Key Tracker Dest Min at Maximum

Set Instrument Automation on the chosen vst

Set Lfo on custom
Set Lfo offset at 50%
Set Lfo on Instrument Automation (Semitones or octave)

And its done !!

I suggest you to use the Snap X and Snap Y Function for this it will be a lot more accurate !

Without having tried it, to me this doesn’t seem to work. The way you describe it, this setup would play the same sequence on and on, no matter what key you play, because there’s no relation between a played root key and the programmed LFO sequence. You could of course put a formula device in between to establish a relation between both. But then, even if you do so, you’d only be able to play legato-/mono-arpeggios, because with plain transposition there is no retriggering of the keys themselfes. So short sequence sounds won’t work at all. Also the used chords in the arpeggio would be static. That actually doesn’t appear like being capable of playing complex arpeggios. Beside that the finding of the right tunings in the LFO might become a bit hard and difficult.

I like the idea, I liked the enthusiasm in your (origin) posting, but I’m afraid it’s not really gonna work that way.

Of course you’re welcome to prove me wrong. Maybe you can put up an example XRNS of this then. :)

Trust me its working, because you work with semitone or octave on the key that you currently press. And no it is not only monophonic arpegios because you can press as many key as you want so it will do an arpegio on multiple note at the same time !

That’s actually impossible, because the keytracker is only capable of tracking a single key at a time. Same goes for the sent LFO signal and the instrument-automation. Also there is definetely no retriggering of notes by Renoise this way.

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding. So maybe you can upload an example, using some common freeware synth.

The keyTracker is on the lfo reset to restart the arpegio sequence, and yes your right there is no retriggering this is one of the cons but still do a very good result. Soon as i get home i will upload a device chain !

Here is song example :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf30mjjkrs5s0b8/Renoise%20Native%20Arpegiator.rar

1 Like

First, thanks for the upload. :) This this seems indeed to be a misunderstanding. While you were talking about single triggered arpeggios on a summary, I was talking about multi-triggered arpeggios over several keys.

Let’s make a definition first: An arpeggiator usually takes the played note-trigger-signals, applies them in a predefined way (of several) to a predefined sequence and then triggers the tone generator with the result.

What this setup does now, is turning things a bit upside down. I’m not going to say, this is bad or wrong or something, it’s just different. There are still several problems, or better let’s call it “limitations” with it. If I’d take now Sylenth1 for example, I’d already run into problems, because its transposing has a range from -7 to 7 semitones only. Also this is not really polyphonic arpeggios. What you can really achieve with this setup is, what in arpeggiators usually is called the “chord mode” or similar. Being far from being a full arpeggiator, to achieve something like the native Renoise arpeggios with a VST - as you already said, dependend on the VST - this works well indeed. It’s just also limited to that. More flexible, but the basic point stays the same.

Nevertheless, what I am really curious about now, is what this setup is going to do to already “arpeggiated” notes, applying some kind of “nested chord mode” to them. I’m pretty sure, this could result in some really cool stuff. Will try that out later on. :)

This is right Bit_Arts ! I would like to achieve a real Arpegio but for now its the only way we can get close to, so still better than nothing for me :P and for the silenth1 problem dont forget that you could put this trick on the octave instead ! Anyway thank you for trying out i hope this could help somebody !