How to setup midi to trigger a ducking curve in gatekeeper VST?

he guys since i bought gatekeeper i’ve used it as my main method for sidechain/ducking since its trigger via midi and it doesnt have to deal with the timing issues that compressors and envelope followers have

so how can i set it up ??

using a signal follower with a short click i can trigger the “Go parameter” which is the one that sets the curve-shape in motion but then im relying on the signal follower and the timing issues and all that
automating the value like the picture also doenst fix the issue ??? :frowning:

1 Like

Not sure if that also workin with yur plu but I manaed to us a Midi -triggr usin the ffct aliase funktion:

sorry the wrong quote - here the right one yu might wanto try:

The Thing is that renoise already can send Midi impuls to Instruments and also that VST3 will NOT be implement in the next Update as we now know. Vst2 and sidechaining works somehow but also seems more complicated inside renoise and thats why we havent got that Feature.

What I also did find out is a Way to Sidechain via Midi-Triggers inside the current Renoise - Version and it somehow works (not perfect yet it for now doeas the work):

The Plugin you need for this Method is called Duck by Devius Maschines (they have a demo) - Then apply the following Track one needs a VSTi with a short trigger or drumsounds (doesnt matter which as you can mute the Audio) on Track two you put the Duck vst as fx PLUS FX Alias and set the SC Trigger to MIDI on that vst (alias fx) - on Track three you then put a pad sound or bass (This will be Sidechained by the Duck fx) ALSO the Duck vst hat to be put on the Track three as a normal FX (in the Mixer) AND you also have to send the Midi-data from Track one (instrument 1) to the Track/Instrument 2 (fx alias Duck vst) to make this work. You will then see the Midi input blinking inside the Duck vst which the INPUT there you also have to set from Audio to Midi (trigger) at the right bottom of the Duck VST; It is a bit complicated to setup but it works like a charm you can trust me on this and thank me later.

Track / instrument 1 = vsti with short trigger sound (routed to track/ins 2)

Track / instrument 2 = Duck fx vst as Alias (routed to track 03)

Track / instrument 3 = vsti with pad or similar And the Duck fx vst on the Mixer

Duck fx has a setting to change input sc - trigger from audio to midi (this too MIDI)
1 Like

thanks man lets see what i can do

1 Like

Le me kjnow if it workzz.:wink:

An easier method would be to use a “*Key Tracker” device on the Kick channel and link that one to your GO parameter from the plugin. It fires then on any note played automatically.

it triggers it but then it doesn’t know when to stop :frowning:
at least here on my system don’t think its a bug but its not working the way its supposed to

I use Cableguys Volume Shaper for similar tasks and it has a midi one shot mode one can set, so the envelope triggers not continuously. Don’t have Gatekeeper, so i can’t test it fully or know it well enough. With Volume Shaper it’s also possible to send MIDI to it. Add the VST to a track, then in the instrument selection open VST FX Alias and add the VST FX to the instrument list, then you can send notes to it controlling certain things. Not sure if the Polyverse one offers this too? Maybe worth a look.

3 Likes

Thought i’ll add a little Renoise native example. Volume Shaper or Gatekeeper aren’t really needed for what you want to achieve, especially with the new slope function on curves in Renoise 3.2. IMO this works much better than the Signal Follower used in the past. It’s a Key Tracker linked to an LFO Reset, which triggers in one shot mode a Gainer. You can adjust the number of points on the LFO if you need a higher resolution on the curve and compensate with the LFO frequency. Unless you really need Gatekeeper for whatever reason this would be a better choice?

2 Likes