How to slow down/ stretch a Pattern but keep the BPM

I want to build a Track in 162 bpm, but now i have a complicated melodic/ rhythmic Pattern what sounds good when its slow…how can i slow it down by keep the BPM?

1 Like

Simply by entering the new bpm or changing the lbt. You can record these changes in the master.

I want to KEEP the BPM…but slow down the Melody…
I dont wanna change anything…

I know that i can slow down the Playback by editing the LPB not sure what u mean with LBT.
Anyways i dont wanna change BPM or LPB, i want double the length of the pattern so it plays slower by keeping BPM. So i can create Beats fits to BPM.

Or in other words:
I want to have a slower melody…without changing bpm or LPB or something.

I was thinking about record the sequence an stretch via the Sampler…but this is just a workaround.

You can expand the pattern with advanced edit. Advanced Edit - Renoise User Manual

2 Likes

You can also try this: New Tool (2.8, 3.0): Flexible Pattern Resizer

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what you want, because it sounds like you’re saying the melody sounds better when played at a slower BPM, but you also don’t want to change the BPM

Perhaps you want to expand the duration over which the melody notes are played? E.g. if you have a 64-line pattern, take those notes but spread them over a 128-line pattern (thereby playing the melody at half the original speed)?

If you are OK with using a rendered sample, then change the BPM, render to sample, then restore the BPM and use the sample instead of the original track notes.

You can press Shift-F9 to double the length of the current track without affecting the pattern length (Opt/Alt-F9 does the same for the current selection). This works well if all your notes are exactly on the grid (i.e. you aren’t using note delays). If you are then you’ll need to use a tool like @Drop_Shadow suggested, which will adjust the delays automatically.

1 Like

Just like @Strotch wrote, enable advanced pattern editor, choose “track in pattern” and click on “expand”. This will double the distances between the notes. The result is a melody which will be played half as fast as before. There is no other option than that if you want to keep BPM and LPB.

The result is a sample which won’t match the pattern length and the desired BPM of the song, because it’s recorded with different BPM settings. Right?!

1 Like

One would have to calculate a compatible BPM for the sample so that it aligns well with the original BPM.

1 Like

You could render the part to a sample, and then use the time stretching in the sample editor. It’s on the left hand side underneath the list of samples, the same place you’d find the mute groups settings.

Change the LPB from 4 to 8 , and lowdown the bpm to 81 + Extend the default pattern length to 128 (if it was 64 by default).

WOW* there a ton of good ideas i wanna try.

What is with the PianoRoll Tool? Can it stretch midi notes?

@Drop_Shadow the tool looks nice…thank you
@Strotch Advanced Edit → i will have a look thank you, Copy/Paste Option “expand” looks good
@James_Britt your right, thats what i want to do, like have a Midi Piano Roll, where i can just stretch the Midinotes…but in Renoise there a no handles ^^, - i try LPB but its not what i rly want ^^,
i not try rendering yet, but i will try that 4 sure, thank you
@spinesois ahhh ! Right Nice one…
@TNT thanks a lot
@Medievil-Music yeah i know but as i wrote dont wanna change that…but it can works as well, thank you
@orrigans thnak you i will have a look

1 Like

Well ,well , well
I’ve been using renoise for almost 2 decades and never knew there was a shorcut for expand-shrink pattern.
AWesome
Muchos gracias :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The problem with adjusting the LPB is if you have DSPs attached to the LBP (especially LFO), the effects will be affected by this. If you’re going to do this, you’ll need to set the DSPs to time base timing instead of LPBtiming.

1 Like

Depending on the number of notes and all, if it were me, I’d create another track and construct the slower version by hand.

When I want to stretch a sample precisely, I do this:

• set the song at the perfect bpm for the original sample
  • cut 4 beats with snap in the sample editor and paste it to a new instrument
  • set beat sync with the correct size (4 beats = 16 if when is set to 4)
  • set the song at the target tempo
  • click the T button and get the good pitches ratio
  • copy the pitches ratio to the original sample
  • profit :slight_smile:

Maybe there’s a tool that does this, I didn’t looked for it.