How would you make this sound?

In Renoise

2 Likes

I would start with some high filtered white noise and put this through a comb filter with key tracker. Then modulate it and you also might use the vowel effect in the chorus.

Record it and load it as a sample in Renoise? Sorry.

Think lilith’s approach could work. But I reckon it is gonna be hard to that rattling sound just right. But mixing noise with a sawtooth for the tone seems like reasonable avenue to explore.

I mucked about with it for 15 minutes but didn’t get anywhere close to the sound of the video. :frowning:

1 Like

FM, of course!

Sounds like a harmonica but with a pluck attack. Seems like it should be fairly straightforward to dial something in like this, but refining based on your personal taste could be part of the fun. Also, if you can’t get the exact sound, you could always sample a harmonica (even a toy one probably) and layer in a guitar pluck. Add phase distortion, or amplitude modulation for flavor… or go even more wild with it.

Usually, I find that there are many ways to create sounds like this, and this sound seems to be one of the more simple ones I’ve come across. I wouldn’t doubt that just using Vital or something will get you there and probably even far beyond just this sound :slight_smile:

THe comb filter is not exatly suited for this becasue it doesn’t have a damping factor .( attenuating the frequencies )
I suggested this years a go , a simple 1pole lp filter in the feedback loop of the comb would make it so much more usefulll.
PUtting a low pass post comb is not the same thing .
Luckily the mutitap feedback has filters in the feedback loop , setting them to banpass with carefully selected cutoff frequencies wil get you there more or less

2 Likes

I would try a formant filter on some FM synth.