Humanizing pitch and rhythm

Hi I am new to renoise, I am normally using SunVox for synth music and I am attracted by the scripting possibillities in renoise. I want to know how to:

• Humanize the pitch; I believe in some synths it’s called pitch drift. The pitch has during play a randomly offset by a given amount. I use this for making harmony sound more human
  • Humanize rhythm; A random delay for each note you play by a given maximum of delay.
  • loading custom tunings like werckmeister III for example or any user defined

Thank you :slight_smile:

Can only help you with the rhythm part:

• Humanize: Randomise the existing values by adding or subtracting a number within the specified value range.

Make a selection in the tracker sequencer and hit Ctrl+H. This “humanizes” the selection by placing slight variations.

You can also do this using the Advanced Editor, while also setting a range for the humanization. I like doing this in drum tracks for the whole song. Humanizing ±5 volume and delay columns, for instance, has a very subtle yet noticeable effect - specially in hi-hats, cymbals etc.

Just make sure to set up the correct masking layers so you don’t make a mess.

https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Advanced_Edit#Advanced_Edit_and_Pattern_Editor_Interaction

If you’re using sample-based instruments, you can humanize pitch by going into the modulation tab, and placing a random LFO on pitch, with the frequency turned all the way down. Each new note trigger will fire with a random value added or subtracted, depending on whether the LFO is bipolar or unipolar. Amplitude controls the range within the given pitch modulation range at the top of the window.

You can also use slow sine wave lfos to simulate analog style drift

Hope this helps

1 Like