"i Believe That Hands Are Our Future"

“Are we really going to accept an Interface Of The Future that is less expressive than a sandwich?”

Click me > http://worrydream.com/ABriefRantOnTheFutureOfInteractionDesign/

Finally! I thought I was the only person that thought like this. Credible source, too.

You’re way to late. I already got myself a pair of hands for over a year!

I liked the way he/she described the uses of tools, made me think of something a composition teacher told us last year:

“Als het enige werktuig wat je ooit hebt leren gebruiken een hamer is, ga je al snel alle problemen als spijker zien.”

Freely translated: If a hammer is the only tool you ever learned to use, you’ll soon see every problem as a nail.

It’s all a nice thought but I’m left stuck with questions. How would you do it differently?
What about portability and durability of materials used for interfaces?
It’s great that we can open jars with such precision but does that mean we should control our whole digital life with a jar? Because we use our muscles and nerves more with that action? All I read now are lots of points on what is so ‘bad’ about current interfaces and on how great our hands are. But not a single idea on how to improve current interfaces or even ideas for new interfaces were mentioned…

Jon Lajoie has given me many hours of laughter in the past :D

Will have to read that first link properly when I have time though. From skim reading the first section it seemed to make sense…

No, certainly not. That was a very nice read!

Well, you would think people know how things at Apple work when applying for a job there.

I hate Ipads :slight_smile:

I don’t think you are alone: almost everyone who actually do something creative with things should think the same.

Touch interfaces surely have a reason to exist, but should not be the only one available.

Renoise is a good example of application which would not benefit of a 100% touch interface.

“I call this technology Pictures Under Glass. Pictures Under Glass sacrifice all the tactile richness of working with our hands, offering instead a hokey visual facade.”

:point_up: this

I’m already glad womens boobs are’nt flattened behind glass yet…

They are in Amsterdam!

Touch-screens were invented in the 60’s, and they will be around for many years to come. They are just another input method, along with the pen, mouse, keyboard, motion tracking, voice control etc. Yes, they are all the rave right now, but as time goes by, things will settle down and they will take their place in the natural order of things.

The Microsoft video is a typical example. They have a vision where touch interfaces are embedded into almost everything, but mainly it just serves to show that they are out of touch with reality, and have a lot of money to spend. I’ve seen similar “visions” by companies like Nokia and they are all the same: present exciting new ways to do the same stuff we do today (as usual, their agenda is of course to create a demand, and push new products). I would be more excited if their videos presented something genuinely new

Definitely agree with you - but on the other hand, you wouldn’t WANT it to be a 100% failure either?
Personally, I think that Renoise needs to support the touch-screen as an extra input method. It will never be the same as running a proper Renoise rig complete with QWERTY keyboard, but if we can avoid it, it shouldn’t be an utter failure either. Touch technology is here to stay.

I think it would be better to create a completely different product for touch platforms rather than trying to mime Renoise on the wrong interface

I totally agree on this

Nice article. I agree. To be honest I think electronic music often leads the way in alternative input devices.
Even simple midi controllers are a nice step away from using touch/mouse/keyboard/etc, and I’m sure many people hold similar ambitions to me of making computer music without using a computer.

Also, this link is relevant. Nice idea, I think.

An amendment: I should add though, that I do definitely support the environmental, organizational, and (personal) financial benefits to having a non-tangible input device. It would be great for a solution to be developed that kept those plus points.