I Don't Get It!

Wouldn’t it be possible to add a “record on play” or (as suggested in another thread) a “record on command” function before the final 1.8? I think Trancending has a strong case and if this feature is easily done Isee no reason why it should have to wait until the next version. I guess there is always a risk when adding new features to an already pretty stable beta… but still…

Well, it starts to look like we should extend the commandline range with the full alphanumeric range instead of limiting it to the hex-range.

GO RECORD METADEVICE!!! :D

…srsly… a record triggering metadevice would fix recording automation issues. Renoise needs more metadevices. :)

As I’m a frequent vocal recorder I have to say that a record function in RNS without a syncronised play pattern/record from input-function is quite useless for me. I need a quick workflow for that, for re-recording parts that were not so good and quickly listening to what I’ve recorded without the hassle of having to edit the recording every time.

Hm, what would be nice was to have the pattern editor automaticly insert notes with a 9xx offset every x lines while recording in addition to a synced play pattern/record sound-function. That would totally eliminate my need for Kristal etc. :)

But anyway, no matter what we have now, it’s a start and going the right direction towards what we all ‘need’ to work the best way we can. I’m grateful for that, not annoyed that it hasn’t come as far as it can come yet.

Give it a bit more time, Transcender, your points are definetly valid but one step at the time!

I always used to work with Wavelab open in the background - it’s no problem, you can do the same thing, it’s just the shuffling samples to and from one package into another was irritating and awkward.

Any irritating or awkward aspect of music production, writing, design, etc. whether a missing feature or an annoying table lamp, has an affect on every decision you make, and, I find, how appealing the prospect of spending 5 or 6 hours working sounds.

The record/cancel/stop thing is very convenient now - I can do take, take, take, keep - trim a second off the beginning and it’s there…

Otherwise I just 900 offset it and tweak until the timing feels right.

A time ruler along the wave editor could help a little - just displaying 1/1, 1/4, 1/16th’s, etc. depending on zoom perhaps.

I have not tested this extensively but preliminarily it seems to work.

You can use an instance of energy XT in the renoise fx chain after the line in device.
Sync XTs sequencer to external press record in XT and recording in XT will begin when you press play in renoise (make sure you enable the audio track in XT also and that the audio track is hi-lighted). The audio track that you record will be played back synced to renoise wherever you play from.

For more regarding syncing XT see here:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/using-energyxt-for-freezing-renoise-tracks/15688

Don`t know if this will stop editing worries but may be helpful.

I think it may even make Renoise the first “proper” sampler available in s/w?

I’ll say that recording inside Renoise is a step in the right direction - however for me it’s not complete yet - it’s perfect for recording a simple sound, but a little cumbersome when recording long parts where timing is important. Right now (for me) it’s still more workflow-friendly to render out the tracks into a multitrack environment and recording my live parts down that way.

Also, it would be very handy for me to be able to see the metronome/row markings on the sample editor to make it easy for me to clip and to give a better perspective of time.

What would REALLY welcome for me would be the facility to export a sample to an external editor at the click of a button. So you use the Renoise recorder to get the timing/feel right, and you use your favourite editor(s) to modify if necessary in an environment you feel comfortable in. Most packages have this option for a good reason, and I would assume if editing sounds is important to you, you would have an external editor! No offence, and I don’t mind being disagreed with, but the Renoise sample ‘editor’ is just a toy.

I don’t want to muck around with switching applications, open/save file dialogs and other audio editors when there’s a perfectly good one inside renoise. It’s just much neater, quicker and elegant.

I like it , it adds sumthing that is a STEP IN THE EXACT RIGHT DIRECTION

it means alot to me as I cant afford half of those audio recording suites.

those who already OWN audition, sound forge etc , shouldnt even make u blink… unless of course you LOVE the fact itsNOW all in one application …

Im sure as it goes on, these features will be implemented as A NECESSITY rather than " But I can do this in another app, why not in RNS"

All right, thanks for all your comments. To summon up, the new sampler seems to be popular mainly because it

• saves $$$ for many RNS users
    • saves CPU power, RAM usage and fixes soundcard issues
    • manifests a step in the right direction for future development

Yes, such a button would REALLY solve things. I wonder how difficult it is to implement.

Thanks, Ledger. This is a great tip. I really appreciate your input.

As already said in the Renoise 1.8 discussions forum:
It would be a pity if we have now a recorder in Renoise, and people still want/have to use external sample editors for recording, or don’t see the need for it. So it seems we at least need the ability to sync the record start/stoping to the playback (pattern) in Renoise. Wisely I already prepared the code for that, so that will not be very hard to implement, nor break much existing stuff.

So yes: we will take care of that (for Renoise 1.8) if somehow possible. Keep on brainstorming! The final release is not yet out. Let us for now concentrate of the bugs, fix them all, and then do some feature fine-tuning, where its really safe and necessary…

recoding option wasnt quite on my priority list too but it doesnt hurt that its now there…

main problem with usability for me is that cooledit have nice noise reduction features /that renoise sample editor dont have/ with what i want to process my not so good quality home recordings before i use them in a song

I use it like I used to use the sample function in Protracker. Record stuff on the fly, edit, trim things and use it a sample. It’s perfect to me. :)
Any chance of implementing ‘record start’ with right mouse button and ‘record cancel’ with left mouse button? ^^

That’s fair enough. And, you’ve already implemented the most important features IMO (accurate BPM and XML), which means that Renoise just re-conquered the throne in my studio.

Would it be difficult to implement some kind of auto-crop function in the sample editor, so that clicking a button automatically scan the recorded data, mark the selection x1 to x2, where x1 is the starting/zero offset and x2 being the noise > y dB? (That is actually the only procedure I call from an external audio editor, at least on the pre-mastering level.)

Definately need the sync record to the rest of the song.
For me it’s “containment in one enviroment” that I like with the line-in/record funtion.
Especially in conjunction with the mixer.

E.g. using sounds from my external gear using the same delay-vst as the other instruments and be able to record it in one package.
Point is I don’t need to sample the synth first to do that anymore.
Which also makes it simpler when you change something on the synth, e.g. you change the filtersweep.
Then you don’t need to sample it again.
Unless I run out of inputs :D

@ Transcender, No probs glad it was helpful. If you`ve got any questions with XT, post them in the thread I linked to in my earlier post and I will try to answer them if I can.

IMO the best thing is to have all kind of batch processing here.
Different options like Automatic split per pattern,
and or markers per beat and pattern in the sampleeditor…
but then we are talking more about audiotracks which is a whole new concept with streaming from harddrive etc, and this is of course nothing for v1.8.

The most important thing is to be able to Start Audio recording in pattern. Not stop it.
To keep it extremly simple for now I think a marker in the pattern editor will do.

To keep workflow at maximum I also think you should ba able to record without going to the sampleeditor each time. You should stay in the pattern editor as much as possible.

Lets say you are in the pattern editor and wanna start recording from Line 16.
Scroll to line 16,
then just press a hotkey (like alt+r or something)
Then a red marker will be set in the pattern editor:

Now press play and when song position comes to Line 16 it will start recording.
The recording will stop when you stop the song.

I think this method has a nice and simple workflow. And it should be easy to code and would not change the current interface?
You will also not be forced to go into sample editor all the time.

Now there are a few more ‘issues’.
What happen next after the recording?
The simplest way would be that the rec-marker will be disabled after one go (after you have pressed stop song the marker will turn gray)

If you gonna rec again you would have to go to line 16 again and set rec-marker again.

Another solution could be that the same rec-marker would reset (rearm) at the same position no matter on what line you are currently on.
If you gonna change rec-marker position you would have to press the hotkey a second time.

To disable an activated rec-marker without recording anything, then simply press stop button or press alt+r a third time (will remove rec-marker).

But the very best solution (at least most flexible) for this would mean some changes in the interface.
We could have a ‘Audio Record Arm Button’. Just like the Edit button for patterneditor.
You set the rec-marker with hotkey, and arm/disarm the rec-marker with this new ‘Audio Record Arm Button’.

Another idea is that this ‘Audio Record Arm Button’ could also be meltet together with the current edit on/off button.
Then you set marker, turn edit mode on, then play/record. To hear result withouth rerecord you must remember to turn off edit mode before playing, if not you would record again and overwrite previous rec.
Or another option is that the rec-marker will always be auto-disarmed by play position (when the recording starts). So you must rearm it before each rec.
Or you could also simply remove the rec-marker before playing.
(alt+r would be a toggle between set rec-marker and remove rec-marker.
I talked about this method with a friend that records quite a lot… And he would just hate it if edit mode and Audio-Arming mode was on the same button (Esc).
He says he is on edit mode all the time…But I’m not sure what will be best…

Ok… I know… lot of text about very little… but to sum up the very easiest way IMO:

Alt+R will insert and arm a ‘start-recording-from-here-red-line’.
Then you hit play and when playposition hits rec-line the recording will start.
The rec-marker will then also be disarmed (grayed out) by the song position.
When you press stop song the recording also stop.
End of story…

Oh and btw… To show that a rec-line is set and armed and if a new button is not an option, then the Instrument In instrument list could also turn Red.

Pysj, I like your style. :)