I Should Not Like Renoise

Well, I hate maths, numbers scare me.
I’m not a programming geek.
I don’t count numbers in hexadecimal.
I’m a visual person.
I like to make groups of events and drag them across a timeline.
By the way, timelines are great.
Lines of number can get confusing after a few tracks / spliff / whatever.

But I’m so attracted to it. I need my Renoise fix. I’m stuck into exams and all I can think about is that friday I’m done, for good or for bad, and that Renoise will be my thing. It’ll submit to my will. I’ll make it squeek.

Renoise. Need. More. Renoise. :drummer:

Hexadecimal seems to be the enemy until you realise that in most music everything’s in 4/4. 4x4=16, so multiples of 2, 4, 8 or 16, 32 or 64 (all magic numbers in 4/4 music) is much easier in hex than it would be in decimal, where you’d need a decimal point to chop things correctly with sample offset, for instance.

If you stick to just the “tens” column (okay, technically it’s the “sixteens” column) and leave the units column as 0 (i.e. just use 00, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, A0, B0, C0, D0, E0, F0) to begin with, things become much easier.

(Then, inevitably, you start using the units column because you need that finer degree of granularity for sample offset, and before you can say hey presto you’re thinking in hex. :P)

I just got out of exams last week, and couldn’t wait then, either. Good luck for yours. :)