I think the phrase feature needs its own thread

well, i like buzz (been awhile since i’ve used it though), but i’m not super into doing it like buzz. :)/>

names would be okay as a reminder, but personally coloring the background row of the editor or matrix - up to the length of the phrase? would suit me. i just need a slight reminder, if anything, not names per say.

imo, the really interesting thing about phrases now how they interact with (pattern) effects. like now, you can use less patterns and jam on mutes of tracks containing phrases, that effect other tracks and … it’s awesome! i don’t want to “drag n drop” phrases to arrange a song. what i like about renoise over, for example, sunvox is that you can use the tracker editor to sequence your phrases or just play them via MIDI! if anything i’d like slightly more abstraction.

anyway, for me it’s the creation of phrases that feels slightly clunky (compared to the rest of the renoise experience, working with the editor proper is great) not arranging them.

(and to be clear i love this update! thanks devs. :)/> )

After digesting it for a while, I feel that the phrase feature is a big compromise that is meant to fit into Redux. Renoise users might already have started paying a price for redux development.

The Renoise team could, for example, have made phrases their own kind of instrument, referring to any kind of pattern data including global instrument scope. I guess for some reason they had to keep it simple and redux-compatible.

I hope R4 has a paperback drum sequencer, it’s imperative to my workflow.

Wouldn’t a better way to trigger phrases be to have a separate column that goes down the side of each track, which you display IF you are using phrases, then you enter the note value and it changes to show the NAME of the phrase, which you gave the phrase when you made it, in the phrase editor? A separate column that is clearly a separate column, marked ‘Phrase’.

Hell, you could even go crazy and actually optionally display a vertical keyboard on the right or left of the pattern editor, with the names of the phrases next to each note that triggers them, so you can use it for reference…

As you changed instruments using Numpad + and -, it would change to show you the names of the phrases for that instrument, if there were any.