I Wonder If Jean Michel Jare Has Played With Renoise

??? who knows! if he has he’ll probably think it rocks, Im not even sure he used trackers back in the late 1980s.

Take a look…

http://www.jarrography.free.fr/jarre_studio.php#17

Nice link. Thanks for sharing. :)

I hope I’m not going to offend anyone here by my next statements, but:

You know—I loved Jarre’s old stuff, but Zoolook and beyond–I think he completely ran out of ideas. Even when I listen to his great oldies now–I hear more of a display of keyboard sounds and effects more than I do actual songwriting. Choosing what sounds to use is just as important as the song itself though. He used to let the effects write his music, which was cool, but I think when the thrill of working with new sounds wore off, the musical areas he lacked became blatantly obvious.

I honestly don’t think he would make anything very impressive if he had Renoise–I think many of the people who frequent this forum would blow him away in that area.

I beg to differ, Kizzume.
Metamorphoses from 2000 is in my opinion his absolute best album, and one of my favourite chill-experiences. Beautifully understated melodies in stead of the vast, effect driven soundscapes and stadium synth stuff. I loved calypso and oxygen etc back then, but it wasn’t until this album came I truly loved music from this man.

And, nothing impressive in Renoise? Please… Now, Renoise is a brilliant tool, but it’s JUST a tool, nothing more. Creativity and musicality comes from within, great melodies are just that, no matter how you create them.

I honestly don’t think his ‘sound’ would change much if he used Renoise at all. Exept he’d use Glitch more. ;)

Hum, although the prodigy’s music sure did change after Liam converted to Reason, wonder what influenced that change?

:yeah:

FULL ACK !!! :drummer:
Sagosen, you brought it to the point! I also like his old stuff from the 70s and 80s which are whole classics.
But the album “Metamorphoses” blew me away. It’s my favorite album for years. 90% of the tracks are extremely creative and the arrangement is sometimes so complex and never boring. Other musicians would make a whole album from the ideas in only one of its songs.
It’s a great mix of electronic, orchestral and ethnic vocal stuff… There are great performing singers and Sharon Corr of Irish pop group The Corrs plays on the violin. I really love it. :w00t:

Damn, it would have been a great pleasue to see his unmatched millenium concert in Egyptian live… ^_^

Always true. Even the founder of what we call today a tracker, Chris Huelsbeck, switched to Cubase later and still makes good tunes.

Maybe it would have been never happen… those trackers scares most people. They don’t get much inspired by a “hex text editor”… Most unaffected musicians would prefer the more intuitive staff or piano roll.
Crushing samples to their knees to make music isn’t everyone’s taste.
Maybe Jarre’s songs would have been sounding more clinical, technical and repetitive like the majority of tracker music… uhm… never mind. ;)

Yes, it changes to loud, effect intensive, awful arrangement and really uninspired electronic music… boring. :huh:

Robbson.

I guess I had given up on him after Chronologie, which only had one “okay” song on it. I looked at him as having Elton-John-after-The-Lion-King-Syndrome (but not Elton’s style, it’s Jarre’s style) after Zoolook. It’s good to hear that Jarre may have gotten out of that.

I will check out Metamorphoses…

Okay–I’ve listened to clips of the whole album. Yes, I must say that you are right and I am completely wrong. He WOULD take serious advantage of something like Renoise. That certainly is a metamorphoses. The album title is appropriate. I found it interesting that he was still using some of his cool signature sounds from the 70’s as well though. It was a really nice mix.

Thanks for showing me the light. :)

Do you really think he would have been used a tool like Renoise to get an advantage?

I don’t think so. He was around 50 in 1998 as he did the tracks for Metamorphoses. That’s far too old for reading (recognizing) all those small nex numbers and codes in a tracker. ^_^
Not to mention the lack of precision and serious audio recording capabilities for all those singers.

But so far I remember from an interview in a local music magazin, he changed his workflow entirely for writing Metamorphoses. He moved to a quiet villa in South-France and doing most of his stuff on a notebook.

Robbson.

Why would hex be so much harder? Hex isn’t that hard to work with, is it? Maybe I’ve been around computers for too long… :) I’ve been working with hex since 1984 back on the C64–not for music (not until 1987), I was usually trying to hack and/or mod games.

I guess I have no idea how difficult hex is to people. I’m clueless about that.

I’m not sure about renoise, but he did use radio interference form mobile phones (Tout est Bleu), sample of his coffee making machine and the generated voice by MacInTalk (Love, Love, Love) in Metamorphoses.

EDIT:
Also here are the personnel of his latest album Téo & Téa, mentioning the software used in the project (from wikipedia):

[i]Jean Michel Jarre – keyboards, synthesizers and drum programming: Korg Radias, Moog Voyager, Roland MC-808, Roland Fantom-X-8, Roland V-Synth, Access Virus, SH-201, Pro Tools HD3; vocals (Vocoder-filtered) on “In the Mood for You”.

Claude Samard – string arrangements, guitars, programming, Cubase, Digital Performer, Halion strings, Absynth, Lag guitars, Pro Tools HD3.

Francis Rimbert – keyboards and synthesizers: Roland Fantom-X-8, V-Synth, Pro Tools Digi002

Tim Hüfken – Groove Box special programming and artistic collaboration: Groove Box MC-808 and Sonar Sequencer

Bertrand Lajaudie – additional programming

Anne Parillaud-Jarre – additional vocals on “Beautiful Agony” [/i]

Haha, you know what’s funny? I’m glad you ‘saw the light’ after Metamorphoses, but I was actually referring to the wrong album! :D

Now, read the text from my previous post and transfer its meaning to the following album in stead:

I meant to show you Geometry Of Love, which is actually what I feel is his best album to date, although Metamorphoses is quite exellent AND retains quite a bit of the oldschool Jarre-sound. Geometry Of Love is a totally new direction for him, but you can definetly feel that he already started this direction with Metamorphoses.

C’est La Vie really is awesome, I especially loved the Futureshock Universal remix from the single, bought it years ago and listened to that track over and over and…

Although you were referring to the wrong album, this was the Metamorphoses that “marked a departure from Jarre’s previous style”. So others were right to ‘see the light’ anyway… ;)