I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

Variety is good, no doubt. But don’t let anybody tell you that electronic music needs to be arranged like for example classic orchestral music. That would be a big mistake. Repetitiveness, if you want to call it like that, is elemental for electronic music, especially for dance music. Instead of bringing new instruments all the time, new melodies and so on, you can bring some variety by changing the frequencies of your used instruments. Or for example put a phaser, maybe controlled by an LFO, on your drums (except the kick), but slightly. There are a lot of options. Some would say these variations aren’t enough because they are too little to be heard, but I assume these kind of people usually don’t listen to electronic music. I doubt they have ever been dancing in a club. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just listened to your tracks on SC, and when I listen for example to your first track “LC Is Closed” you made 8 years ago, I don’t hear repetitive music. But you could work on your arrangement of your electronic style songs. You shouldn’t try to invent the wheel again, but you could use more pre-chorus, bridges, sequences and do some slightly effects and frequency changes to achieve the desired variations. And when I’m talking about your electronic style songs I’m also talking about “Who Are You?”. Just my 2 cents…

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, TNT. I guess listening to people make all this crazy breakcore and stuff, I feel people would not be interested in listening to my music, which I feel doesn’t seem to capture peoples attention in the same way.

You are absolutely correct that I should focus more on arrangement/song structure and perhaps a bit more modulation on existing sounds.

I also have to realize it’s just my hobby and I should not be comparing myself to professionals.

Thanks again!

different strokes for different folks, or, there’s no accounting for taste…

Or, “people who like this sort of thing will find it to be the sort of thing they like!”

Infinitely many forms of music in this world!

1 Like

@Zoiper About your track “Who Are You?” there are a lot of interresing ideas in but I feel some sounds are too agressive for my ears, especialy there are some instruments notes very high.
It’s a bit of different than you other tracks like Willie The Watcher or RosE, I like these, there are flowing well, but it’s just my taste. :slight_smile:

You are probably mentionning about the forum or Renoise socials, there are lots of breakcore lovers yeah, I’m sure this could be intimidating for some people (that was for me) but in fact I’ve noticed that lots of Renoiser are open-minded and not as hard on socials as their music is. ^^

Keep it up!

1 Like

Just do your thing. Some will like it, others won’t. That’s quite usual. You can’t please everyone. Those who know will respect and appreciate well-done music even if it’s not their personal taste.

There’s nothing wrong with comparing your music to professional productions. But you should keep in mind that not every professional production sounds professional, there are many differences. A lot of productions are mastered to death, completely flat due to the loudness war. For example Lana del Rey’s album called “Paradise”. I was really upset after listening for the first time. That’s not what I paid for. Personally I have come to the conclusion that one should arrange, produce, mix and master the way one likes it and NOT to look at other productions and try to copy everything. If you’re copying the style, the mix, the master or whatever it’s not your own thing anymore. But of course you can use so-called professional productions for inspiration, it could help if you’re stuck. Just avoid the musical uniformity and to be mainstream. You don’t need to please the masses, the most important thing is that YOU like YOUR music. Again, just do your thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Damn right! :+1:

One more from 2014.

2 Likes

Thank you for the constructive criticism Fabrice and for taking the time to listen!

You are absolutely right TNT, everyone has different tastes, I will definitely keep doing my thing.

Doing my best to not copy of course, but sometimes I want to try working on a different style of music just as a learning exercise…or even as a bit of a guide for song structure etc but then try to put my own take on things.

Everyones comments have been helpful and have given me a direction for improvement!

Just to clarify, if you’re producing music of a specific genre doesn’t mean that you’re copying. Of course it’s music which probably would sound (very) similar to others from the same genre, but you still can have your own style within that genre. And when you’re saying that you’re using other’s work as a guide but you’re putting your own take on it, you’re doing it absolutely right. That’s what I’m talking about. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good evening troops, thought I’d share an idea I have been working on. Got a bunch of tunes on the go, sort of digital alt rock type stuff I guess, each part played and performed and recorded and mixed etc by me. Became a Dad last year so I recorded some bits (vox for example) in my car late at night after putting my baby to bed.

spaffed up the spad

edit; cannot embed player so here is link instead - Audius

second edit; I am shit at embedding players

daniel_schulze · Spaffed Up The Spad [v0.29 Finalised]

Another edit to add lyrics;

My love, my mind.
I never dreamed it could become this.
Drive to castle, test eyes.
Drive to castle. Test eyes.

Hey, I don’t wanna talk about it.
I’m caught between space and time.
Living in the cesspit.
I fall onto the firing line.

My blood, my side.
How could you turn your back to this?
I’m too good for you.
I’m too good for all of you.

You infidels, I believe in myself.
And yesterday let me down. Stay down.
Drive that stake into my heart.

My love, my disease.
How I dream of you each night.
Drive me out. Bleed me out.

Hey, I don’t wanna talk about it.
I’m caught between space and time.
Living in the cesspit.
I fall onto the firing line.
Hey, I don’t wanna hear about it.
I’m sick of being undermined.
Living like I give a shit.
A betrayal of the paradigm.

2 Likes

Another old one.

3 Likes

Great track man just remember to post the lyrics too.A bit too loud for my taste especially the drums but the track rocks big time!!!

1 Like

Thank you Stoiximan I really appreciate you listening and giving a wee bit of feedback. I’ll edit the post again to add lyrics.

1 Like

This is a really good tune man, nice work. Good mix balance on these headphones too. Overall sound reminds me of Eivand Aarset (spelt correctly?), maybe even a touch of Chimp Spanner too.

P.S. how do you embed the SoundCloud player in a reply? When I copy / paste the player code it just shows as a hyperlink like in my post above.

1 Like

I have to navigate directly to the song and then copy the address here.
For example:
https: //soundcloud.com/user-688438672/hiljaa-hiipuu-pois

Had to add random spaces after the https: -part.

1 Like

Track I’m working on atm super cut up odd rhythms if you like that sort of thing

1 Like

dope as always, bruv :metal:

1 Like

Cheers :pray:

Really old one I made back in Digibooster I believe it was.

3 Likes

hi i bought renoise yesterday, does it sound good?

3 Likes