I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

It ain’t real music if it ain’t got guitars. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Man that was Epic!!!

1 Like

Thanks mate, how do you think the mix sounds? On my monitors i hear some unwanted rumble that i can’t get rid of, even tried to rerecord it, but that didn’t do it. I can’t hear it in my headphones so i kinda assume my monitors are fucked.

1 Like

Thnx, what track did you listen to, the first one that plays? Not sure, but those are processed gamelan sounds if I remember correctly.

Yes in my headphones i hear it too from the beggining there is something like a fuzz or something.Pretty sure its the guitar or the amp you are using

1 Like

moar psydubz this week :melting_face:
master sounds kinda crispy on SC, will repost at some point
all renoise sound design & synthesis

Are you talking about some higher frequencies? I’m more concerned about some resonating lower frequencies that shows up when the metal guitar plays. They only show up on my monitors for some reason…
Perhaps you are talking about the static noise produced by the TG simulation i use in many tracks and on the master? I have noticed it produces some ‘analogue’ noise, but i kinda think it adds a bit of flavor.

1 Like

Hmmm, on my headphones sounds better but not good enough but on my speakers its even worse, there are a lot of issues.First of all everything sounds loud, then there is this fuzz probably from the static noise you said but i think it interferes negatively.Major problem when the drums play especially when the cymbals/hats hit.Start with the drums first and the static noise from the guitar and take it from there

1 Like

You asked how your mix sounds. It’s a neat tune but to me the mix sounds rather dull and narrow. I feel the way the kick comes in is too loud with too much top end. It has a nice thud but the top end of the kick, well, it feels unbalanced to me. I think it fits in better in the mix after the minute mark. But maybe it has a bit too much low end thud still.

As mentioned earlier, it sounds pretty narrow to me. Maybe you can try some more rigorous panning. Get it to sound big and wide. With a bit more top end. Perhaps you can try cutting a little bit of the low mids and boosting some high mid range. By the 1m30s mark the music is starting to sound nice and big but the mix isn’t. And I feel that’s a shame.

Anyway, that’s just how I feel about it. Do with it what you will. :metal:

2 Likes

Yeah first one,gamelan sounds makes sense,like the exotic sound!

1 Like

Thanks guys, i guess i will have to try again. I still suspect my monitors are fucked, which makes it very difficult to know what to fix. Think i will just start mixing from scratch using headphones. Get the levels right and then try to fix unwanted frequencies with an EQ and compare to a reference track.
Not exactly sure what kind of sound i’m aiming for, maybe something Rammstein ish or something…any suggestions? Would be nice to make it sound like Children Of Bodom or similar, but i don’t have the skills. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: hmm, i’m starting to wonder if it could be my guitar that is messed up somehow…i really can’t understand where else it could come from at this point…

2 Likes

Headphones and references tracks are good ideas for sure.

Going a bit off topic but you can give some things a try before writing off your monitors:

Try High Passing your track with a steep (digital) filter. Gradually fade in the lows until you hear the problem appear. That way you know the frequency area at least.

Then take a look at the sound in a spectogram do you see a build up or spike of frequencies when you hear the rumble?

If you see it on the screen, it’s actually there in the recording. If not it may be a problem with your monitors indeed.If so, first try changing the placement of them. It could be that their placement in the room is making it resonate at that particular frequency. But it could be a fault as well, of course. Or a problem with the cables or the guitar.

As for getting the guitar tone you want. There are plenty of guitar tone tutorials on the interwebs. I’m sure you know this but just as a remember that getting that guitar sound does not mean that it sounds exactly like that in the final mix. So maybe try finding some isolated stems of guitar tones you really like. Guitar hero stems are your friend. And then painstakingly recreate them as close you can with your tools.

When you’ve got a tone you like try experimenting with double tracking your guitar and panning them hard left and hard right. And don’t be shy about drastic EQ moves to get it all to fit in the mix.

Good luck problem solving!

3 Likes

Thanks again for great advice. I think i have narrowed it down to be something with the recording. Either from the guitar, from terrible guitar teqhnique or maybe something in the GT-001 setup. I will try with another guitar…

1 Like

Seems like I missed some things the last months…

If there’s no significant change while listening through headphones, it’s not because of your monitors.

When I play your song it’s completely dull, just like @eretsua already wrote. It doesn’t matter if you listen to it through monitors, HiFi speakers, headphones or PC speakers, it remains dull. It sounds like you’ve put a HP filter at around 500 Hz on your master, which surely isn’t the case. Even when the bass comes in at 0:15 it remains dull. The kick is the only thing which sounds kinda “normal”. I would redo the whole mix from scratch. Start with headphones, switch to HiFi speakers in between and recheck through your monitors. You know how it worls. If you’re looking for a disturbing frequency you can use a good EQ this way:

Create a “peak” and drag the peak around until you’ve found the disturbing frequency. It will scream into your face once you’ve found it. Then you can dull this spot just by dragging the peak down into the minus section. Unfortunately this doesn’t work with the Renoise EQ, but there are alternative options. :wink:

Some remixes can be found on remix.kwed or amigaremix and I post my own stuff on Soundcloud and Youtube, that’s it. Social media sucks and is not worth the time. I mean, what can you expect from any social media activities regarding music? 5-10 more clicks per month? Maybe a few more followers? If you sell your music on Bandcamp or else maybe 2-3 dollars more income within weeks? Great…

Cool stuff as usual, but I’m still waiting for a real song, 3 minutes at least. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Why doesn’t this work in Renoise? Wouldn’t the EQ10 Nd EQ5 work well for this purpose?

Ah, yes, you’re right. I forgot about using the right mouse button to change the curve of the Renoise EQ. Usually I only use the sliders of this EQ. So thanks for the question. But anyway, an external EQ is more accurate for this. Personally I’m using the Melda EQ when I need to dull some specific frequencies. It doesn’t matter which EQ you’re using as long as you can find and kill all the bothering stuff.

1 Like

Just a quick track inspired by nostalgia. Tricket - Renoise IDM / Abstract Classical - YouTube

2 Likes

I have realised that the awful resonating sound i was talking about occurs when i play a C on the low E string.
Do anyone have a suggestion how this can happen? I suspect a pickup or wiring problem, but could it be something else?
I have a decent guitar that has never had this problem with renotating frequencies, but i have put on some new picups. Think i will try to switch back to the old pickups and see if it helps.

Glad you found the source of your resonant problem.

I had an acoustic guitar with ancient, worn out steel strings. Some notes just sounded awful while others on the same string were fine. New strings cured that. So maybe (also) try a new low E string?

I don’t know anything about pick ups, but I suppose different pickups can pick up different resonances. So maybe the guitar had this resonance all along but your previous pickups weren’t sensitive to that area?

Or maybe, and this is can be a hard one to swallow. Maybe the sound has always been there, you just didn’t notice it before. But now you have noticed it, it really stands out to you. I’m not saying this the case with you. It’s just that this kind of thing happens to all of us in one way or another all the time.

Anyway, going back to a last known good configuration seems like a good idea. Hope it helps!

Ps. Maybe it’s better to make a separate ‘guitar trouble shooting’ thread than going off-topic in this one. :wink:

1 Like

I will definately try a new string. I find it very odd if there has been something wrong with the guitar all along, because i have lend it out to many people that really liked it. I also have had it serviced by a professional who also commented it was a very nice guitar. It’s an Ibanez Blazer i have had and used since the 90s (it costed around 650-700$ back then), so if there has been something wrong with it all along i should have picked it up.
It’s a long time since i changed strings though, so that might be it. I didn’t know worn strings could have this effect, but i hope it’s as simple as that.

Sorry about the off topic, i got carried away.

1 Like