I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

I had me some fun doing a little hardware jam with a Beheringer 2600, Elektron Analog Rytm MKII and a Korg SQ-64.

The video flashes a little bit.

4 Likes

well, heck @eretsua :smiley: Thank you! Iā€™m really pleased that this type of work is pleasing to you and others. Renoise is capable of so much!

These albums are hard to do - Iā€™ve been listening to what folks are doing in Max/MSP and PureData - they are primarily generative pieces of music. From sequence to sound, itā€™s all relatively random. I want to make this type of music, but I want it to be repeatable - not have the computer doing randomized modulation and melodic parts. Hand-sequencing it is :rofl: Last track took me about 5 weeks. Iā€™ve got 5 pieces so far, at about 12 minutes of 35.

This is WHY I keep asking for FM and granular synthesis in Renoise - because it would remove some of the more tedious tasks of sound-design. To make up for non-FM melodic tones, with shifting timbral content, I have add more bits of audio to distract from that - a workaround. I could get away with a lot more if I had true FM/PM synthesis - one sound could be modulated in so many ways that I could possibly reduce track count and adding other bits of ear-candy. I probably wouldnā€™t but I could rearrange where those pieces would go.

The same goes for granular. Sometimes a haze is exactly whatā€™s called for, or crackling, etc.

I really hate using plugins, because the environment of Renoise is so spotless, so perfect (to me). It runs so efficiently on its own, why add more external processing tasks when it could just be part of the suite? Tools for sample design and adding a few additional features to the set would benefit the end user, and we could stop buying plugins that tax the heck out of the application.

Ultimately, Iā€™m just being picky, but I try as many plugins as I can - all are a distraction in the Renoise environment, again, to me.

4 Likes

Tried to make some techno this time:

3 Likes

Iā€™m working on a complete orchestra template for reaper in combination with free BBC Orchestra+BBC Labs.

3 Likes

Thank you so much @eretsua! :pray: I can promise you that it was a very engaging experience hearing the track being played on the PA sound system at TRSAC 2022. :smiley:

2 Likes

2 Likes

The furthest Iā€™ve ever gotten in Renoise, the closest to a complete track for me. I canā€™t ā€œseeā€ the arrangement or hold enough in my own head as to what is going on when in terms of automation. This is very much a WIP - might export the stems and work on it outside of Renoise to finish it, but knowing me it will die in the graveyard of unfinished projects on my hard drive:

All feedback welcome of course, constructive feedback much preferred naturally.

5 Likes

@BriocheBaps
Pretty good for a first ā€œfinishedā€ track! Nice vibe, nice composition, nice melodies, nice instrumentation and the mix is ok, too. Maybe you could increase the volume of the synths and pads a little and decrease the volume of the percussions (except the clap, but especially the hats). Thereā€™s only one thing left to do, and thatā€™s giving attention to the 2 instrument rule, which means no instrument should appear alone. For example at 1:52, there should be one more instrument next to the appearing synth bass. I would suggest a string or a pad, which would also complement the chords and fill up the spaces in between, and you could use this string/pad for some further composition within the following sections. Well done, Sam! In my opinion itā€™s much better than other stuff Iā€™ve listened to in this thread, and for sure thereā€™s a troll being jealously looking at your musical abilities. You know what Iā€™m talking about. Keep it up Sam, youā€™re doing good! Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™ll get back to Renoise after checking out Bitwig, at least sooner or later. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice vibe, it almost feels like listening to a mid 90s Techno radio show.

The kick, which is the main element of Techno, needs to be way louder and needs a lot more punch. Itā€™s almost inaudible for me, whether through speakers or through headphones.

Thatā€™s a label from my hometown. Did I already say congrats? Your sound matches that label. Sometimes your sounds remind me of Alter Ego, specifically the album ā€œDecoding The Hacker Mythā€. Iā€™m not talking about the compositions, just the sounds. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Well done man!!!

Donā€™t bury this one it deserves to live and itā€™s not that far from finished. Stick with it

2 Likes

New track under work

Lyssna pƄ Jojkilinnen V1.5 av Mukkalinen pƄ #SoundCloud

1 Like

Hi guys, as I said last month, Iā€™ve been preparing an ep with 3 tracks inspired by some acapellas by grace jones that I found on the internet. the last song is by a girl also called grace jones so i thought it fit the concept. the first two songs were made in renoise and the last one straight in pro tools, all the mixing was done in pro tools. I hope some of you might like it. Thank you and see you next time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Sharing my latest song built in renoise: Isamiyague

Link: Menno Janssen - Isamiyague

Isamiyague is a unique piece of music. A hybrid composition combining both complex synthesizers and modern technology with the worlds or orchestral string instruments, ancient tribal instruments and modern shamanic vocals.The multilayered phrases in this song can best be described as ā€˜light languageā€™, a vocabulary that certain individuals still have acces to. As a composer my aim was to stretch and blend and play with these sound frequencies. In this symphony the main vocalist is the talented Yvonne Vruggink. The whole arrangement is composed, sampled and mastered by Menno Janssen, a hobbyist composer who enjoys to make musical worlds alive. On a 15 year old computer which is honestly, highly frustrating sometimes due to CPU limits :-). In a way I feel this song has much more potential but I cannot create it with my current hardware setup. Despite all of this, enjoy this unique sound journey. When sound meets light. Isamiyague.

7 Likes

Noted. I will never catogorize my tracks wrongly in the future.
Hereā€™s some grindcore:

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Finally finished this track,here is an excerpt,it was one of the more frustrating tracks ive made,absolutely sick of hearing it,on to the next!

6 Likes

ahhhhā€¦ breakcore isnā€™t over :fire:

3 Likes

And what a journey!!!Magical!!!Good stuff man

1 Like

Thanks much for listening my friend! :slight_smile: Glad you liked it!!

1 Like

Last time of posting anything to do with this track, but I finished it as far as Iā€™m willing to take it. A bonus side effect was that itā€™s convinced me I CAN in fact arrange to a modest standard in Renoise. Simply zooming in the arrangement window helped me a lot.

Time to move on to the next thing. Iā€™m not 100% happy with the mix, but Iā€™ve learned some stuff for next time. Thereā€™s too many competing frequencies in the synths, it needs a different arrangement perhaps, the arp maybe needed to come up an octave. The delay and reverb are a little too much, although I did bus all the tracks before they hit the master and used that bus with a signal follower to duck the two fx return channels by 3db.

As I say, lessons learned, time to try again.

ā€œEnjoyā€

3 Likes

We never are happy with the mix and that is a big trap holding us back staying at the same track and not moving forward.Master the arrangement aspect first then move to mixing.The track is good and i am glad you finally finished it in Renoise.Now get right on the next one,finish as much as you can in Renoise now that you found a way and revisit them later for mixing

1 Like