I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

It’s a very personal view, but maybe you as a Renoise user can understand it. My main concerns are (besides Bitwig already is a fantastic DAW):

1. Pianoroll:
  • is quite rudimentary
  • multiple instruments should be on top of each other, not behind each other. It’s quickly a mess.
  • In smaller scale, notes lack of labels (“C#3” etc.)
  • Stuff like auto-center vertically
  • Lack of included harmonic / scale tools and highlighting.
  • No config for background highlighting.
  1. Lot of shortcuts / basic functionality are missing:
  • Play notes under cursor (without starting to play).
  • Jump playhead one measure to the left/right (incl. loop modulo, without stopping)
  • Jump playhead one 1/16th to the left/right (incl. loop modulo, without stopping)
  • No Midi / audio panic / reset. Have fun with hanging notes or long release times.
  • metronome only while recording missing
  • Move loop area to the left/right missing
  1. Render dialogue is very rudimentary:
  • Live rendering always replays the song.
  • No placeholder values, you need to reenter the render name every single time (if you want to have multiple renders).
  • Loop region doesn’t auto update in dialogue.
  1. Custom tags for VST(i)s missing: e.g. “freeware”, “good”, “bass”, “lead”. VST vendor tags are completely useless, because there is no standard.

2. Some onboard dsp/modulators lack of important features:

• No free drawable LFO / multistep graph. There are only quite limited workarounds.
  • Gate lacks of “hold”, so it often can not handle even slightest inconstant signals
  • dynamics lacks of “range”, so upwards compression always will raise even the quietest noises.
  • standard compressor very quickly crackles
  • the delay-2 imo has a bug and produces clicks in the wet part.
  1. No scripting like Renoise, no custom tools, no manipulation of midi and dsp data, no custom shortcuts. No custom guis (only for device drivers). Even while there are two APIs available, Javascript and JAVA, too.

2. No “oldschool” sampler replay mode just like Renoise for audio tracks, so pitch down slows down the sample speed etc. Always kind of timestretching, which in some cases is not useable then (e.g. a pitched down kick)

3. Rhythm / groove / timing options are really rudimentary:

• Global shuffle: There should be an amount per track, or shuffle settings per track.
  • The quantize dialogue is an exclusive popup, blocking any other operation. And not anymore doable thru inspector (like Bitwig 2 had). Lacks of features, too.
  • No savable groove patterns.
  1. Multitake recording is missing, clips are not a good replacement here.

2. No trackerview programmed by Taktik

simple workflow stuff? i’m currently loving that i can layer multiple drum hits, parallel audio chain madness + time shift on separate samples on separate layers, so you can combine drum hits on pads rather than on timeline itself…
eq+ is awesome too, as well as saturation is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wrong

you could randomize hihat delay using fx grid for example, if you want to go into details into groove stuff, there are a lot of benefits over renoise.

use reaper if you intend to do multitrack recording. Bitwig is not simply daw that is trying to collect all features of every daw out there…

using fx grid you could use step sequencer to write your ‘step-graph’ and achieve much more…

i agree that it is far from perfect, but it does what it does very effortlessly

I think you are mixing up the sampler and an audio track. Test it for yourself.

Renoise wasn’t my reference here, but instead Studio One, Cubase or so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No, I won’t use Reaper.

Still no free draw LFO like Renoise…

yes you can use repitch like ‘oldskool’ sampler. By default it is on ‘stretch’

you are correct but still, there are workarounds - depending on your goal.

not quite like in the renoise, but you could get around it using various modules…
note: modulating lfo which modulates lfo which modulates another lfo x 100 is much more convenient in bitwig than in renoise. Now add modules from fx/poly grid that you can mangle with in between… No hand-drawn lfo could beat that complexity & variation :slight_smile:

good, me neither, because i use mixbus32c for vocal editing and final touch. :stuck_out_tongue:

i wish that bitwig had sequencer interface of renoise. It would be a dream come true!

my question:
can you play synth with your voice in renoise also? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But then you can’t automate the pitch. Try it. Neither you can automate/change the tempo value.

Sure, but still not yet Renoise :laughing:

How are you doing that in Bitwig? Can you quickly tutorial it, please?

Cool.

Bitwig fills voids that Reaper and Renoise couldn’t for me personally.

1 Like

It’s a private track? Let me see if I can fix the link

for me as well, but i just love renoise keyboard input/step editing, looping (enter) and moving on, typing values etc… it’s a habit…
soundcloud says:
This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed — Learn more

Ok.

Don’t know what’s up. Uploaded the tune I made to Clyp.

4 Likes

the things i miss from renoise the most are the exciter the filters and the LFO…im still hoping the consider porting the effects suite as a vst i can pay for it :slight_smile:

but overall bitwig is equiped with really useful additions like better eq’s and oscilloscopes mid side and frequency split devices …plus stuff that makes building racks more easy like instruments layers and instruments selectors …note receivers etc …

2 Likes

I faced GAS so much so I went to ableton and sold it, went to logic and returned it, went with all hopes to reaper and still have it, then it was maschine, apps on ipad you name it. In every tool I have found some sort of limitations, some are fair to the price some are not. I think at least to me marketing destroys all the creativity. I found out that every single revolutionary feature (the one I would like to use personally) of the other DAWs renoise already has for years. I don’t regret any money because it is valuable experience to understand sound creation from different perspectives. Renoise was my first program I bought - also the oldest. It is true that I should learn it from inside out and stop wasting my time with excuses whenever I don’t know how to express particular emotion or something I like to create. I think lots of us have this feeling :wink: just sayin’. I really appreciate renoise is not playing this marketing game other do :wink: Thanks for reading. And sorry for OT.

1 Like

Nice.

Yeah even though I am still apart of this forum, I don’t use Renoise much at all anymore. I still use Redux from time to time.

But for me I don’t miss any Renoise features. I’m still the fastest, production wise in Renoise because those shortcuts are baked into my muscle memory.

But I still have Renoise as a tool whenever there is something I want to pull off and I know I can not only get it done, but get it done quick in Renoise.

1 Like

Experimental thing I’m building

2 Likes

Made a little snippet during my filter testing. Too bad that the key tracker device dont work correctly in the filter frequency slot. Resonating the right frequencies can create great ambient pads.

another beat

5 Likes

niceee

Outstanding one of your best in my ears

Track done with Reaper. French speech text. Belgian 1988’s New Beat style.

2 Likes

started this one this morning

6 Likes