Idea: Add a new "Rows Divider" in Pattern Editor

Rows Divider in Pattern Editor

This idea I already have outlined above (in version 3.0.1).I think thatwill playa big role in Renoise 3.1 ,if it is implemented.

It’s about add a new Rows Divider in Pattern Editor , superposed,indicating a stronger color rows for each"XX" value (the color may change in Preferences/Themes/Color Settings: Category: Pattern).It adds up the rowsalreadymarked for LPB.

Examples:

• 16 value:mark the rows 00, 16, 32, 48…
  • 8 value:markthe rows 00, 08, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56…
  • 12 value:markthe rows 00, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60…

The Rows Divider in Pattern Editorwould be helpful for:

1. Be more agile with the view especially in big patterns (many rows, >64).
  2. You could accompany thebeatof the metronome (example 4x4 is 16 value).
  3. Quickly locate the row to edit.
  4. Better to see the correlation of notesbetween tracks.

Screenshots of Rows Divider

Rows Divider, value: 16

6041 01-rows-divider-pattern-editor-value16.png

Rows Divider, value: 8

6042 02-rows-divider-pattern-editor-value8.png

Rows Divider, value: 12

6043 03-rows-divider-pattern-editor-value12.png

The button

Of course, the button can bedisabled orenabled.

6045 04-rows-divider-pattern-editor-zoom.png

2 Likes

Second highlight (kind of). As a user of Milkytracker I can testify that this makes a tracker look even prettier. I don’t know if I agree with the exact implementation in this case.

A simple “Secondary highlight every xx lines” in the Song Options could suffice (with additional color settings in preferences).

Ideally, highlight values should be lua statements instead of simple values :wink:

I as a user of Impulse Tracker. This idea isborrowed him. Impulse Tracker had two dividing layers, Renoise one only.This was very useful then, and remains so now.

I do not know exactly what would be the solution to the delight of all. Personally, I sometimes make a mess browsingin PatternEditor of Renoise 3.0.1 and 3.1 (and previous).

This idea is another added. If someone bothers, you can disable with button.

Yep I’ve suggested this feature several times over the years. Having different row colors for the beginning of each measure would make longer patterns much easier to work with.

… Having different row colors for the beginning of each measure would make longer patterns much easier to work with.

Of course!But how to justify if usersdo not see it in action.This helps a lot visually. The pattern editor contains big information,related notes, rhythm, everything is related.I miss a visual aid,and the reference is always horizontal,anywhere.I’ve been fighting a long time with this.

“The Pattern Editor isas a long music sheet, withoutwhitespace”(visually speaking)… :slight_smile:

Yes hopefully with your mockups the devs will finally look into this feature! Jeskola Buzz tracker also has this and it really does help quite a bit.

Yes hopefully with your mockups the devs will finally look into this feature! Jeskola Buzz tracker also has this and it really does help quite a bit.

Yes, I hope that all the forum to contribute ideas show a true picture, to see how it looks. But it is impossible to understand everything. Whenever possible. You have to make things easier to see if they are useful.

It seems silly, but do help to see if it works (valid) or not.I have seen that people are not aware nor with the images.Go figure!

Isn’t this the “highlight every xx lines” in Song Options -> Highlighting & Defaults?

Isn’t this the “highlight every xx lines” in Song Options → Highlighting & Defaults?

Was thinking the same thing, but see Joule responding with ‘second highlight’, so think this might refer to an extra colored emphasis every Nth beat?

Was thinking the same thing, but see Joule responding with ‘second highlight’, so think this might refer to an extra colored emphasis every Nth beat?

Yes, so you can for instance have a different color marking the first beat of each measure like Milkytracker and Jeskola Buzz tracker…it’s quite useful when working with longer patterns.

Isn’t this the “highlight every xx lines” in Song Options → Highlighting & Defaults?

" Highlighting & Defaults"?Where is that exactly?

Yes,It is like an "additional layer of color"always abovethat is already pointing to the rows above each xx value.Take a good look at the pictures and count.

In screenshots:

• Dark graycorresponds to valor color :Preferences Panel / Theme / Category : Pattern: " Highlighted Back" (Renoise 3.1.0b2). And the numeric valor is the " LPB", above of Pattern Editor (the value in screenshots is “4” always).
  • Light Grey (new “Rows Divider”) corresponds to: new button and numeric valor ,underneathbelow of Pattern Editor(it is a example, the idea). Would value color in Preferences PanelPreferences Panel / Theme / Category : Pattern: “XXXX”. In the screenshots shown the values 16, 8 and 12 (it is a example).

This is a simple way to add this visual function (this idea). It may be added in another way.That depends on developers Renoise.I think this is so useful as necessary.

Yes, so you can for instance have a different color marking the first beat of each measure like Milkytracker and Jeskola Buzz tracker…it’s quite useful when working with longer patterns.

Exactly!Impulse Tracker also.

To capture visually, imagine stretching or compressing an accordion.

In this case:

• LPB numeric value: 1
  • button (new “Rows Divider”) numeric value: 1

…both they overlap

Referencing my post on this thread: https://forum.renoise.com/t/done-3-1-b5-metronome-meter-song/44499

Pattern highlighting should be linked to per pattern metronome settings and vice versa so that Renoise has proper support for multiple time signature changes in song and pattern highlighting that reflects the current time signature of the pattern.

This could be achieved with a pattern effects command that uses the first value to set the beat divisor and the second the beat value.

@Hazardous!

Lol, I have answered in another post (https://forum.renoise.com/t/done-3-1-b5-metronome-meter-song/44499) without knowing what you wrote here.

Indeed, Renoise could have 2 commands more.I have made youthe commands ZMxx and ZNxx ,for example.Maybe it could work!But this should be something else, not mixed with this post. :slight_smile:

It would be very interesting to add the two ideas (Row Divider + 2 Metronome Commands).It would be very useful for direct recordingwith a pianoMIDI, creating realistic music with nuances.This is also related to theVirtual Piano add below the Pattern Editor,something that I hope will not be ignored:

1. https://forum.renoise.com/t/keyboard-in-edit-mix-tab/44501
  2. https://forum.renoise.com/t/keyboard-in-edit-mix-tab/44501

With all this, the direct recordingwith Piano Midihave another higher level, taking the Virtual Piano likeworking tool,not only likevisual tool!All tools should be as helpful as possible… Foul the development with the time!

Bump bump bump! 2020 and I’d still love to see this feature!!!

1 Like

Gonna +1 this, I think implementing it is more than worthwhile.

It’s a simple feature, and every other tracker I’ve used has had it. A second set of row highlights makes composing in odd time signatures much more enjoyable, and with Renoise’s kickass automation/track FX it could be even more flexible than other trackers’ implementations. The second row could just be cosmetic and the LPB could remain the only value that actually affects playback speed, so no changes to the current LPB/tempo system would even be necessary.

The only hitch I foresee is that the highlight color would need a new color setting in the themes menu, and every theme would need an update, or would clash with whatever default color is chosen.

3 Likes

This is so Dope actually, I’ll bandwagon!

1 Like