Idea: Device Randomizer Tool

Idea: A tool that would randomize the parameters of a synth or effect within a defined range, and the ability to exclude certain parameters that you don’t want randomized.

Pretty much exactly like this:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=166

you can do that with the lfo device,
just select random lfo and set the frequency to far left, use amplitude and offset to set the range, and reset to randomize
you can even assign velocity tracker to toggle reset automatically for drums etc.

only drawback is that it’ll work only for one parameter at the time

Hey thanks, that’s a really nice tip.

I have a script to randomise all the parameters of an effect, so I’ll see what I can do.

Ok this should work. The tool will randomise parameters for vst plugins and devices, no idea about ladspa or au. Can select parameters to retain or edit and you can select a range for randomisation. Tell me if you have any suggestions, for example I put the tool under the Tools menu but maybe there’s a better place. Anyway have fun.

[quote=“JupiterXLI, post:5, topic:36980”]
Ok this should work. The tool will randomise parameters for vst plugins and devices, no idea about ladspa or au. Can select parameters to retain or edit and you can select a range for randomisation. Tell me if you have any suggestions, for example I put the tool under the Tools menu but maybe there’s a better place. Anyway have fun.
Attachment 3592 not found.

Thanks! I’m having trouble getting it to work though, probably doing something wrong setting up the range??

edit:

ah I see it works! I was looking for changes in values in the automation tab :) , you’ll see the parameters change in the opened effect or vsti gui.

[quote=“JupiterXLI, post:5, topic:36980”]
Attachment 3592 not found.
Thanks so much for making this! I’ve tested it on a few plugins and it’s working very well, and responds much faster than the randomizer for max4live. Would it be possible to also have the tool show up in the menu when you right click on a device in the mixer or dsp tab?

Oh and btw the idea of being able to separately randomize the excluded parameters is brilliant…thanks for that. :w00t:

Thanks.
Yeah I’ll try and get that up tomorrow. I’d like it to be a bit faster when accessing instruments but it only matters on a few synths. Also I’m going to have to do some kind of storage system because there are usually a lot of parameters that you’d rarely want to randomise and typing in the same ranges over and over again is just stupid. So when I get that done I’ll put it up.

Ok I’ve got most of what I wanted done. Tool now found in right click context menu for devices. Thanks to taktik, Arguru’s Voyager with it’s 1024 parameters, now opens pretty much instantly. The memory system I’m using is really basic, just remember that if you are reinstalling the tool/updating backup the jxli_randomise_presets.txt file in my tool’s directory otherwise it gets overwritten. That’s pretty much it, enjoy.

Cool!

Got this notice trying to randomize Renoises native lofimat device:

I right mouse clicked the device, selected the tool, didn’t change anything in the gui and pressed execute. Selecting ‘device’ in the tool gui and pressing ‘execute’ does work. Is it possible you can automatically select the device you are right clicking in Renoise in the tool?

Yeah the tool used to default to None so it was an expected error. Anyway, I got rid of that and added the tool to the context menu for the instrument box. So now it will default to whichever way you opened the tool and so you should just be able to hit execute immediately. It was only one extra click to make a selection but this way is a lot more intuitive.

3609 com.JupiterXLI.RandomiseParameters.xrnx

Thanks!

LFO random > Hydra > any VST

Nah?

Nah!

That would randomly changes all parameters to the same value at the same time (with some weighting via the Hydra.) Not really that useful. Try as many LFOs as parameters you want to adjust and no Hydras… bit messy no!

But does this even do realtime anyway? Not used but thought it only randomised settings “offline” but lets you experiment for unexpected/planned results.

feature suggestion:

right mouse click menu shortcut in mixer as well!

Cheers :drummer: .