If you could, What adivices,tips or tricks you would tell to yourself

Hello Renoise community! I’m New Here :smile:

Summary

My Name is Daniel, i have a musical project called “Does Everybody Love?” and I mainly produce melodic music such as Melodic Dubstep, Melodic House and Liquid Drum ‘n’ Bass.

> If you could, what adivices,tips or tricks you would tell to yourself in your first Days using Renoise?

I’m kinda “1 month” using renoise but i would tell myself to download Multi Volumes Tool and Almost Drums Tool :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wasn’t new to music and I already knew how to use a tracker like Renoise, so I would tell myself:
Increase the production quality by using provided devices and also deal with mixing and mastering techniques.

I should have started earlier to produce properly, instead I first continued to focus on composing only, just exactly like I did in all the previous trackers. It took one year to realize that Renoise has got more potential (than a classic tracker) that shouldn’t be neglected. And it took way too long until I decided to dig deeper and to put that into practice the right way.

2 Likes

Be careful where you click, things can get ugly. Instrument/samples/vst tracks do not have a dedicated channel assigned and like in fl studio they can play everywhere

2 Likes

As beginner Renoise sexy boy, I would tell myself:
You don’t have to use all the commands right away-start with 09xx/0Sxx and 0Bxx for true breakbeat quaalation.

2 Likes

To myself: focus on learning how to arrange a groove and a song. Don’t fuck around too much with mixing, mastering, getting synths and effects before you start to understand how rhythm and music cognition works.

also: be mindful of using responses. phrase-based rhythm is interpreted by our language center, and overhyping a groove with too many calls will create cognitive load experienced as lack of flow. it’s like nagging.

also: harmonic pulses induce visceral response (trance state). phrases induce hypnosis. symmetry helps with flow state.

5 Likes

tbh, i would tell the same things to my younger self when i first started to have the urge to make music :smiling_face_with_tear:

Groove,Call and Response, Harmony… those will aways be the “backbone” of any music. "Technicalities"will just help to polish they…

About the Trance state, Hypnosis and Symmetry thing: Can you recommend some books/articles or videos about those subjects?

1 Like

Afaik basically, there are entrainment effects on neural oscillations (brain waves) with consistent, relatively full-frequency rhythmic auditory input either as isochronic or syncopated (pulsed/rhythmic) or binaural (interference pattern based) beats. So, the CNS primary oscillation will move towards (entrain to) the supplied stimulus

2 Likes

No. It’s part of my own “anachronistic” theory framework. Non-pitch music theory seems to be a 100 years behind. Scientists skipped the fundamentals, and people resort to personal/common practice. That’s my view on that matter :slight_smile:

Edit: Per my framework, there are various mind-states and combinations thereof that you can induce with auditory stimuli. These include: meditative, hypnotic, trance, nostalgic, flow, submission / dominance, reactive / cognitive, exploratory&curious, melancholic. And possibly others that I haven’t thought of.
The most important for western music being hypnotic (phrase based rhythm), trance (pulse based rhythm inducing visceral response) and flow (balance, sensed as “speed”). Worthy of mention on forums like this is also the meditative state, exploited by music focused on soundscapes.
I’m mostly interested in hypnotic music, which is essentially pop/rock/funk, and I am currently making a tool for automatically creating such arrangements. These always have quite a bit of trance inducing elements in the form of crossrhythms (straight 2n pulses, tresillo or other euclidean rhythms).

1 Like

haven’t been using renoise for long, im married with renoise for 2 years now, if I could go back in time I’d probably say to myself something like: “learn shortcuts, take some of the attention you give to plugins and learn renoise’s own native plugins and devices and WORK HARDER”.

2 Likes